Sign in to follow this  
Bryn

Understand no 2D for 744v3, but a request...

Hi,

I understand PMDG is not building a 2D panel for the 744.  That's ok - I made the 777 work in 2D and I'm hoping I can do the same for the 744 if PMDG provdes pop up CRT/LCDs, MCP, FMC, and radios, like they did in the 777.  

My request is, I think, fairly simple.  Can PMDG please also provide an external model with the standard landing and taxi lights mdl attachments so 2D and home cockpit builders can see where they are going in the dark?  Majestic provided an additional downloadable external model for this purpose on their Dash 8, which I thought was a good gesture to fringe users like me.

Bryn.

Streaming at twitch.tv/brynmwr

I'm old school and always appreciated the 2D panels, not just because they were 2D but because certain, but small, liberties were taken to get most of the relevant info needed on one screen.  I wouldn't mind a "smart" 2D panel that actually gave up a little in cockpit authenticity just to have the information I need all on one screen especially for landing and takeoffs.   It can be done, the screen real-estate space exists.

Now I know and am well aware that this can be accomplished if you zoom out in a 3D view, but until I go 4K the clarity just isn't there.  Zooming in and around the cockpit is a raw necessity with 3D unless you have a huge monitor and/or the eyes of an Eagle.  

My solution is to setup multiple views within the 3D cockpit using EZdok, a product which some love, some hate, I personally find it is a little more complex to setup than it should be but if you're willing to sit down and spend an evening fighting with it you will eventually win.

My main problem is that I don't have enough extra keys to organize the EZdok views logically, so I'm looking into Thrustmaster MFD Cougar for the sole purpose of getting more buttons, all of which I will use for EZDoK custom views- because if you get it set correctly, a properly zoomed in EXdoK view isn't much different that a 2D view.

Your second paragraph confused me somewhat but I believe you are saying that the 2D panels don't reflect the adjustment of the lighting knobs?   Or are you talking about being able to see out the windows?   In my 737NGX I can see the external lights whether or not I'm in 2D or 3D cockpit.  Perhaps you could elaborate on your second paragraph?

Mark Trainer

Mark, the 737 does have external lights (landing and taxi lights) in the 737 model, however, the 777 does not.  I ask PMDG to produce a model that does have external lights for users like me.

Also, the 737 has remarkable 2d panels - some of the best out there.

I'm old school and always appreciated the 2D panels, not just because they were 2D but because certain, but small, liberties were taken to get most of the relevant info needed on one screen.  I wouldn't mind a "smart" 2D panel that actually gave up a little in cockpit authenticity just to have the information I need all on one screen especially for landing and takeoffs.   It can be done, the screen real-estate space exists.

Now I know and am well aware that this can be accomplished if you zoom out in a 3D view, but until I go 4K the clarity just isn't there.  Zooming in and around the cockpit is a raw necessity with 3D unless you have a huge monitor and/or the eyes of an Eagle.  

My solution is to setup multiple views within the 3D cockpit using EZdok, a product which some love, some hate, I personally find it is a little more complex to setup than it should be but if you're willing to sit down and spend an evening fighting with it you will eventually win.

My main problem is that I don't have enough extra keys to organize the EZdok views logically, so I'm looking into Thrustmaster MFD Cougar for the sole purpose of getting more buttons, all of which I will use for EZDoK custom views- because if you get it set correctly, a properly zoomed in EXdoK view isn't much different that a 2D view.

Your second paragraph confused me somewhat but I believe you are saying that the 2D panels don't reflect the adjustment of the lighting knobs?   Or are you talking about being able to see out the windows?   In my 737NGX I can see the external lights whether or not I'm in 2D or 3D cockpit.  Perhaps you could elaborate on your second paragraph?

Mark Trainer

I have the Thrustmaster MFD's and although I now have chase plane after using EZDok for years - as they are a pair of MFD's I use one solely for cameras and it works brilliantly.

Ah OK Bryn,

I did not know that about the PDMG 777.   Agree about the fantastic 2D panel for the 737, and I will miss it when the 747 comes out but my plan is to get everything setup on the Thrustmaster MFD buttons w/ EZDok so I can quickly move to the best view that makes sense for which ever phase of flight I'm in. 

Thanks for confirming the Thrustmaster MFDs will work rdtv91, they still haven't arrived yet and was worried there might be an issue there.   I may have to evaluate Chase Plane, there are a few things about EZDok, that to me, don't make any sense.  It feels like one of those pieces of software that makes perfect sense to the person who coded it but defies all logic to everyone else.

Mark Trainer

Thanks PMDG!  The lights on the 747 are outstanding, and work in 2D mode.

Could you include these in the next 777 update?

Cheers,

Bryn.