Sign in to follow this  
vp49p3

New Rig -Three 4k Monitor Setup Advice

I recently came into a small inheritance, which at my age I'm going to blow :smile: and am looking for advice.  I've scoured AVSIM and other on-line sites, but really can't find a definitive answer--if there actually is one--for one aspect of my new rig.

I have three Phillips 43 inch native 4k monitors.  One centered and the other two at about 30 degrees offset.  The monitors stretch eight feet across and I sit about 3 feet from the screen, so my whole field of view is covered, as I don't like being confined to one screen.  I always use Track IR at slow tracking speeds, and aren't ready yet for VR.

I'm trying to drive all three monitors at 4k and am stuck at configuring the GPU's.

I already have a water-cooled I-7 6700k at 4.8 ghz;  a1250 watt power supply; an ASUS Maximus VIII Formula MB; 16 gb Trident RAM at 3400 hz; and a large case.  I fly virtual cockpit exclusively, with no extra views. 

I had three EVGA 1070 FTW dt's with stock fan cooling in the first build.  Each was plugged into one of the three monitors using display-port 1.1, which on these monitors gives you a 30hz refresh rate.  I physically overlapped the screens' bezels and didn't use Nvidia Surround (because you can't in this setup). I used Rob's high end settings. The best I could do was to span all three at 2560 x 1440 full screen by stretching the windowed image across all three (at some point I'll use Fly-Elise or something else to remedy the distortion.)  Usually got 30fps plus in ORBX scenery and A2A aircraft at that resolution.  When I went to 4k it worked well on one screen, but stretching the view over two (or even one) more screen drove fps way down to single digits.  When I shrank the view, the 1070's fps went way up.  Enlarging the view sent fps way down, so I figured I was GPU limited, not CPU limited. 

My plan is to sell the three 1070's and get one or more Titan pascal's.  My options as I see them are: one water-cooled Titan driving three screens; two water-cooled Titans in SLI; two water-cooled Titans not in SLI with one card driving two screens and the other a single screen; and three Titans each driving its own screen.  I do not plan on overclocking the cards.

I want 4k detail, if possible.  I really don't want to get into another rig to use Wideview, and would welcome all advice.

Thanks,

Jay

Forever indebted to the late Michael Greenblatt of FSGS.

ill buy one of your 1070s if you can make a good deal. Pm me.

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

I want 4k detail, if possible. I really don't want to get into another rig to use Wideview, and would welcome all advice.

Thanks,

Jay

Is this FSX or P3D?

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

It's P3D Gboz.

You could try a single 4k projector. On a screen of 150" it will definitely blow you up... 

I'm flying 1080p on 135" screen, the best fun I ever have. 

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

It's P3D Gboz.

Last I heard LM was recommending separate video cards

for each screen you have as the best option.

gb.

I want 4k detail, if possible. I really don't want to get into another rig to use Wideview, and would welcome all advice.

I don't think Wideview does VC views which you want to use.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Thanks much gb. Jay