8 minutes ago, TechguyMaxC said:

What is this nonsense?  You can have your opinion and a personal preference but you're literally just spouting nonsense here.  A 7700k is not "better than" AMD's best chip.  There are already numerous benchmarks that prove this.  Take 5 seconds to Google it.  https://www.google.com/search?q=7700k+vs+ryzen&oq=7700k+vs+ryzen&aqs=chrome..69i57.2805j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Nothing I have seen yet shows Ryzen to be faster at single threaded code than the i7-7700K and at the moment for P3D that's all that matters. I want the fastest chip to run my Sim, nothing else I run needs the performance of even an i5 2500

oh, and the Intel is now way cheaper, that much is fact

3 minutes ago, Glynn said:

Nothing I have seen yet shows Ryzen to be faster at single threaded code than the i7-7700K and at the moment for P3D that's all that matters. I want the fastest chip to run my Sim, nothing else I run needs the performance of even an i5 2500

Here's the problem:  In the previous post you said "AMD's best chip is slower than the 7700k".  You didn't define a workload.  Now you are saying "AMD's best chip is slower than the 7700k *in Flight Sim*.  If you had done this in your previous post, I would not have responded because it is (very likely) to be true at this present time.  A year or two from now things could be very different, and that is why many people are getting excited about Ryzen.  Meanwhile, performance of Ryzen today isn't terribly far off of the 7700k in these workloads.  Will it be slower in Flight Sim?  Probably, because Intel has a signficant clock speed advantage due to superior manufacturing capabilities.  That gap will close over time as AMD's manufacturing improves.  

The future of software is greater utilization of cores.  We ran into a thermal brick wall years ago that prevented significant clock speed scaling and that will never change as long as CPUs are made on silicon.  Therefore, CPU designers made the decision to add more cores to CPUs as that is the only logical way to increase performance.  The problem with this approach is that it severely complicates the task of developing software.  It is a non-trivial matter to find independent tasks in software which:

a) do not have data dependencies 

b) actually gain performance by splitting into a separate thread

That's why a highly-clocked quad core/8 thread chip is about the sweet spot for most software.  Things are getting better though as software developers continue to gain experience attempting to solve the problem of effective multi-threading.  It's a process of refinement over time, there's no magic bullet.

39 minutes ago, Glynn said:

Probably because the i7-7700K is faster and cheaper than AMD's best chip, that's not a great position for AMD to find itself in.

AMD needs to be significantly faster and much cheaper in order to  compete, and lets not forget that Intels compiler last time round produced code that leaves AMD chips at a disadvantage, i.e slower apps

So you are doing a 4C/8T chip @ 300USD vs a 8C/16T @500 ???

You better wait for the R5 series, 6C/12T or the 4C/8T ones to be fair on price/performance.

• Upvote 1

Cheers :)

N.-

13 minutes ago, neucoas said:

So you are doing a 4C/8T chip @ 300USD vs a 8C/16T @500 ???

You better wait for the R5 series, 6C/12T or the 4C/8T ones to be fair on price/performance.

But why wait when I can already have a chip that is faster in P3D, and to be honest when it comes to my Sim, price/performance comes secondary to how well the chip runs the code.

Some folks may get their relaxation time from running benchmarks to confirm their anti Intel bias but I prefer just to fly the Sim.

7 minutes ago, Glynn said:

But why wait when I can already have a chip that is faster in P3D, and to be honest when it comes to my Sim, price/performance comes secondary to how well the chip runs the code.

Some folks may get their relaxation time from running benchmarks to confirm their anti Intel bias but I prefer just to fly the Sim.

Dunno who you're talking about.  My flight sim PC is a 7700k machine @ 5.2GHz that I've just built.  No bias here.  

Here's the thing: flight sim is not the only workload that people care about, even on these forums.  There are lots of other ways to use a computer.  I personally choose to have 2 separate machines which I dedicate to different tasks.  The first I've mentioned, the second (which I'm considering upgrading to Ryzen) is a media server with a 6-core Intel chip (5820k @ 4.4GHz).  An 8-core Ryzen clocked at the same speed (or higher) would deliver a significant boost in performance for the tasks which I use that machine for.

Many people don't have the luxury of buying 2 PCs, but they absolutely use their PC for more than just 1 task.  For those people, an 8-core Ryzen can be very attractive given Intel's pricing on their 8-10 core models.  

5 hours ago, martin-w said:

Don't think the "Sherman Act Laws" was rel;ted to Intel charging $1000 for a CPU was it? AMD would do the same if they thought they could get away with it I'm sure.

AMD never suggested I take their competitors signs out of my windows or doors! AMD never suggested I may run into a CPU shortage because of selling a competitors product! 

Many folded to anti competitive pressure, I did NOT!

Not my idea of America, sorry!

BaldyB

6 hours ago, Glynn said:

Actually here are some benchmarks 

http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-7-1700x-6950x-7700k-cpu-benchmarks/

it shows the 1700x beats the 7700k in single thread. 

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering

Reviewers are now receiving their kit. Ryzen, fancy AIO and RAM and motherboard all in a nice box. So results should be here very soon.

Typical rip-off Britain. £488.99 here in UK, so equivalent to $607.19 in US. Ripped off by £108.

The 1700X or 1800X might be a good buy for P3D/FSX if single core performance is on a similar level to 7700K.

Maybe with X-Plane 11, that Orbx Project thing, or P3D v4 the AMD will be more attractive (if multi core improvements can be made).

If not I guess we can all stick to high Ghz Intels. (For current gen simming at least).

If people are really into a lot of other games or video editing/encoding etc.. then these Ryzen CPU's seem to deliver high bang for buck.

2 hours ago, martin-w said:

Typical rip-off Britain. £488.99 here in UK, so equivalent to $607.19 in US. Ripped off by £108.

Ouch.  How much of that is VAT?

Here in India , the 1700 is like 27,000 INR. Well i am waiting for lower cored models :(

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

4 hours ago, TechguyMaxC said:

Ouch.  How much of that is VAT?

That would be 20% Max. Bonkers here in the UK. A car here say 30,000 quid is 30,000 dollars in US. House prices are horrific. Young people are screwed, almost impossible for them to buy a house.

28 minutes ago, martin-w said:

That would be 20% Max. Bonkers here in the UK. A car here say 30,000 quid is 30,000 dollars in US. House prices are horrific. Young people are screwed, almost impossible for them to buy a house.

Spot on, we've just bought our 1st home at 41 years old, as my parents gave us some money towards a deposit

P3D v4.5 MSFS2020 Hisense 50" 4K TV

Ryzen 5800X, 32gb DDR 3600mhz, MSI B550 PRO VDH WiFi, MSI 6900XT Z Trio, Gammaxx L360, 1TB NVMe Boot/FS2020 Drive, 1TB NVMe P3D Drive, 1Tb Crucial SSD Storage Drive, Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Radio Panel, Switch Panel, 2 x FiPs

UKV6427