6 minutes ago, westman said:

Ipc close to haswell ,Skylake KabyLake 6-7% higher at same Frq single tread.

Then Max OC för Ryzen on air-aio  cooling 4-4.1ghz vs 5.0-5.1ghz för KabyLake it give a 30% gain ipc+OC.

Thé old 4770k and 4790k Clock higher t hen the Ryzen better för sim ev en the 5960x  Clock 300-500mhz higher.

Thanks for the info , but i don't intend to overclock, overclocking was only during FSX days and I don't have P3d that I would need overclocking . 6-7% difference is really good at the same frequency.  A Quad is good but i want to future proof for Vulkan which can use more cores / threads.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

i owned a i7 6800k at 4.2ghz, the performance was terrible in x-plane 10. x-plane still favors high clock speeds compared to cores.

On 3/14/2017 at 6:08 PM, Patriot3810 said:

i will keep the 4 cylinder and pay for less fuel and better efficiency, you keep your 8 cylinder and pay double the fuel price and terrible performance, the fact is a 4 core can still blow away an 8 core in gaming. if you want productivity buy the 500.00 1800x and use it for productivity,the ryzen blows in games, i am running both side by side and plan on selling the ryzen because i preordered the piece of ****. another fail from amd for gamers.i am not a intel ###### i had such high hopes for ryzen. i was hoping it would have blown intel away. i don't have my hopes up for the r5 now.

Sounds like your hopes were misguided ? ! We really shouldn't be comparing the 8 core multi threaded cpu to 4 core gaming cpu anyways ? It holds it own compared to the 8 core Intel, price-performance is a win ! And it's plenty of fast enough for most modern games ! With optimization still in the works ! And sorry P3D is not a modern game !

What do you mean by blow away ? If facts equal reality, like I said. I think we need to wait for the dust to settle. I don't have a 7700K so I can't compare. I game at 4K so the difference is marginal from the bench marks that I have seen.If you have both CPUs then post a video comparison of XPX in 4k. Even at 1080p, if your Ryzen CPU is hitting 60FPS and your 7700K is hitting 70FPS, do you really think that makes a difference in gaming? I don't think so. I can't tell the difference between 40 and 50fps.  

I play more then games and i rather have a cpu that is future proof. Xplane is moving to Vulcan, so hopefully it takes more advantage of cores vs clocks ! The 1800x has a TDP 95W, sounds pretty efficient to me !

I am happy with my 4.2 GHZ RYZEN ! I am hitting 30 to 50 FPS in 4k with most of the sliders maxed out in XPX ! And I am still using a 780GTX. 

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

No ryzen then. No KabyLake.
Time to find a reasonable 4790K then.
I expect to many driver issues with Windows 10. I can still remember the messages that I saw 1,5 year ago: No joysticks, a nogo for the Goflight stuff, weather programs not running.
Next to the privacy issues, and advertising Microsoft started somewhere this week.

II still have a few Windows 7.0 licences lying around in the seal.
Broadwell-E an option? 6800-6900?

15 hours ago, strider1 said:

Sounds like your hopes were misguided ? ! We really shouldn't be comparing the 8 core multi threaded cpu to 4 core gaming cpu anyways ? It holds it own compared to the 8 core Intel, price-performance is a win ! And it's plenty of fast enough for most modern games ! With optimization still in the works ! And sorry P3D is not a modern game !

What do you mean by blow away ? If facts equal reality, like I said. I think we need to wait for the dust to settle. I don't have a 7700K so I can't compare. I game at 4K so the difference is marginal from the bench marks that I have seen.If you have both CPUs then post a video comparison of XPX in 4k. Even at 1080p, if your Ryzen CPU is hitting 60FPS and your 7700K is hitting 70FPS, do you really think that makes a difference in gaming? I don't think so. I can't tell the difference between 40 and 50fps.  

I play more then games and i rather have a cpu that is future proof. Xplane is moving to Vulcan, so hopefully it takes more advantage of cores vs clocks ! The 1800x has a TDP 95W, sounds pretty efficient to me !

I am happy with my 4.2 GHZ RYZEN ! I am hitting 30 to 50 FPS in 4k with most of the sliders maxed out in XPX ! And I am still using a 780GTX. 

Its a nice cpu , yes i have one as a have 5960X and 6700k and 2x7700k .

you dont give up sir , both the 6700k and 7700k even the 5960x performs better in P3D( clock higer), but its a long way for Ryzen to compete with 6700k 7700k . 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, emisary said:

I expect to many driver issues with Windows 10. I can still remember the messages that I saw 1,5 year ago: No joysticks, a nogo for the Goflight stuff, weather programs not running.
Next to the privacy issues, and advertising Microsoft started somewhere this week.

1 1/2, years is a long time ago, Joysticks work fine in Win10 , all my Goflight stuff worked, ASN worked.

Saying that I am back on Windows 7 as it simply runs better on my hardware and all my addons work properly.

1.5 years ago is in computer terms long.
Yet I am maintaining a pc for an older simmer. And he thought, it would be smart to upgrade win7 to 10, 1.5 years ago.
His AMD system showd 18-25 fps on low-mediocre settings on windows 7. And 12-15 on Windows 10. Cannot get it right. Jumping all over the place.  Everything looks a weird menu (gigantic blocks. 3 and the TV is filled (yes he flies on a pc, else the letters are to small)).
I really gave up on Windows 10, when I saw that. Clicking on the start button, means waiting, and then something opens on his second monitor/PC.
I think I have to learn Linux for serious stuff after 2020.

I think I can make it all work, if I would reinstall the pc.
But that privacy thingy is bugging my mind.
Thanks for the heads-up.

1 hour ago, emisary said:

I run p3d on z270 KabyLake 7700k os win7 64pro,  and before that 6700k z170 on win7.

Still on FSX. ;-) 30-60 fps nearly maxed out except AI traffic. On a SandyBridge 2600K.
So I am not that unhappy. Only looking to the future. And I see 1 black cloud named Windows 10.
6700 would be  an option, I think. Since MS pulled back its decrete on not supporting Win 7, until med 2018.
So the only safe option is an 4790K. And cheap, I saw.

5 hours ago, westman said:

Its a nice cpu , yes i have one as a have 5960X and 6700k and 2x7700k .

you dont give up sir , both the 6700k and 7700k even the 5960x performs better in P3D( clock higer), but its a long way for Ryzen to compete with 6700k 7700k . 

The only real Ryzen review Ive seen in this forum claims otherwise. I don't care about P3D performance, Xplane simmer here !

XP11: Loads significantly faster at startup or when changing location. During flight, X-Plane is mostly single-threaded. It only activates more threads when loading a new chunk of scenery, which happens periodically. The CPU boosts to 4.1 GHz much of the time, so it's still pretty smooth. A few FPS lower than my 4770K @ 4.5 GHz (2 - 4 FPS), but absolutely no stutters/frame skipping.

P3D: Also loads faster. By default uses all 16 threads (SMT), which is a bit overkill. AffinityMask=21845 or 21844 makes more sense. 21845 seems to work the best, there seems to be some hangups/stutters when you move it off Core 0. Like XP11, P3D only uses additional threads to load new scenery, but it happens more frequently/continuously rather than periodically in chunks like XP11. Scenery loads extremely quickly. You can Slew super fast and then stop, and terrain will "pop" into view after just a few seconds. It's probably a few FPS slower than my overclocked 4770K, but not by much.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

5 hours ago, strider1 said:

The only real Ryzen review Ive seen in this forum claims otherwise. I don't care about P3D performance, Xplane simmer here !

Only Xplane????

XPlane or FSX P3D seems be equal , Ryzen at 4.1ghz to a Haswell 4770k at 4.5ghz they have similar IPC the diff gone be the clock in this case 10% (2-4fps) happens to have a 4770k to.

we dial in the Ryzen at 30fps run the other with same settings wow the 4770k hit 33fps 10%.

Now its time for Miss Kraby Lake clocked at 5.2ghz with fast mems +4000mhz add 7% IPC and 15% clock gain to Haswell and 4% gain on the mems all this is true Sir..

The result???? yes its 42-43fps for Miss KrabyLake only 12-13fps .

if you want to run the sim at30HZ with headrom for fps dips Miss Kraby Lake Shine.

14 hours ago, emisary said:

Only looking to the future. And I see 1 black cloud named Windows 10.

Why do you consider Windows 10 a black cloud? What you see online tends to be from the small minority of users who have a serious problem with Win 10. In most of those cases it's usually a case of  "finger trouble", lack of familiarality or having upgraded from an earlier version of the OS. The vast majority of the hundreds of millions of global users seem happy with it. Even if everyone on this site had problems, that wouldn't even constitute a fraction of a fraction of 1% of the total users worldwide. Unhappy customers are always the most vocal.

I have a clean install of Win 10 and the only problem I've had has been with sound, which was easily resolved and turned out to be my fault anyway. The only circumstance where I could see Win 10 performing worse than Win 7 is if there are no specific Win 10-compatible drivers available for your system. Many people upgrading from an older version of the OS often don't seem to realise that they may also need to separately install updated drivers for their motherboard, network card and USB ports to name but three. Many older motherboards often also need BIOS updates. Microsoft has tried to make the upgrade process simple but can't possibly allow for every possible hardware combination. There is nothing fundamentally wrong with Win 10 (and this is coming from a former committed Win 7 user). Unless you clean-install Win 10, you'll never really see what it's capable of at its best.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Explanation about black cloud of Windows 10.

1. Not good running of  yoke, goflight, trackir. But OK, it could be that the drivers have been updated. I never looked at it again.
  2. I read in the beginning that if you run FSX in full screen mode, that you can not use fscommander, ASN etc anymore. Because it would focus only at FSX. But maybe that is fixed too?
  3. Privacy. Everything is hanging on Cortana. Only made to collect data. For them and the security agencies. I have nothing to hide, but even then, it should not care anybody. Catching the badguys? Well... you do not catch bad guys. You only make the normal people feel uncomfortable. If you switch the privacy items on, Microsoft switches them off again. You can find software to prevent that data floats to Microsoft.  I bought extra cpu power, so that I would have extra power for flightsimming. But the fact is, you bought extra cpu power in order to block stuff going out. The world upside down.
  4. Licence agreement, that Microsoft gets the owner of your documents. Pretty cheeky to me.
  5. Advertising. Would I pay for an OS, in order to receive Advertisements? Also very cheeky.

Stupidity is that most people simply accept that companies steel your privacy, steel your data, and then even make those that are aware of this, to some kinds of outcasts, that you must be hiding something. And we all accept that, except a few.

And if I read my story, I should be looking for a linux distro and change the sim to X-plane. ;-)

Thanks for your insides.