Sign in to follow this  
Steve Dra

Will it have wing flex?

Uh.....can you say "Holy mother of aspect ratios Batman!"

Check out this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hG9LzT60RLM

Skip ahead to about 2:10, 2:45, 3:30 and 4:40 to see the best examples.

Hehe...I wonder how many looked at the title and groaned "Oh no....another noob asking if it will have wing flex (apply your favorite model name here.)

Definitely one of the most asked questions in the flightsim development world...not too far behind "When is the release date?" :smile:

Enjoy the lovely spectacle of flight while we wait for a 4-engined lady that will also have a bit of wing flex. 

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

Hehe...I wonder how many looked at the title and groaned "Oh no....another noob asking if it will have wing flex (apply your favorite model name here.)

I wonder what it is so important with this subject so the question is asked for any single new project.  :unknw:

I'm one the guy who fly from the VC and the wings are not visible from the cockpit. They could be made of chewing gum or stone as for the animation, I wouldn't mind.

I had even disabled the external model of the T7 before I upgraded my hardware.

Now don't get me wrong, I obviously respect others' opinion but I just don't understand why it is so critical (I even read some posters who said that an addon with no or wrong wing flex would be a no-go...)

• Upvote 4

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Avec l'avion, nous avons inventé la ligne droite.

St Exupéry, Terre des hommes.

I wonder what it is so important with this subject so the question is asked for any single new project.

A question that usually floats through my mind, though I do actually appreciate the external views quite a lot. I think the questions that get me are a little more conceptual, though:

"Will it have X like your other products did?"

It takes a lot to not answer (particularly with my humor): "No. We rolled some dice and the number was odd, so we randomly decided to drop X, Y, and Z...just because." Granted, yes, there are the occasional exceptions to the rule where progress in something is rolled back in a later product, but if it's a feature in a past product it's likely to be there in future products. I'm always curious as to why people are curious if something will still be in it or not, if they know that something is in a past version. Heck, some of these things asked about are even industry standards (wingflex, pop up panels, etc.).

Kyle Rodgers

A question that usually floats through my mind, though I do actually appreciate the external views quite a lot. I think the questions that get me are a little more conceptual, though:

"Will it have X like your other products did?"

It takes a lot to not answer (particularly with my humor): "No. We rolled some dice and the number was odd, so we randomly decided to drop X, Y, and Z...just because." Granted, yes, there are the occasional exceptions to the rule where progress in something is rolled back in a later product, but if it's a feature in a past product it's likely to be there in future products. I'm always curious as to why people are curious if something will still be in it or not, if they know that something is in a past version. Heck, some of these things asked about are even industry standards (wingflex, pop up panels, etc.).

I hear ya Kyle!

I honestly think some people just want to see a question they ask responded to by others and that is the only one they can think of.

I agree….why on earth would a dev not put a feature (esp. a great one) into their new product if there was no reason not to include it? 

I obviously enjoy external views, being a guy who’s tried to make them look more realistic for the past 15 years. :wink: 

There is something about watching a lumbering behemoth on the ground transform into a graceful creature in the air (wing flex really helps the effect as fuel-laden wings… all droopy and awkwardly bent downward on the ground… become beautiful arched marvels of aeronautical engineering when they lift the monster into the air)

Anyway, PMDG hands-down has the best external models in terms of accuracy and level of detail, and are a joy to paint.  I plan on painting all the future models you guys put out, including the 747, 757, 767 and 787. :Whistle:

I’ve taken the 777 around the world a few times already, and I never get tired of watching the takeoff at MTOW…those wings….MERCY!

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

Now that's wing flex!

Mirroring the YouTube comments though... once you get to this size you might as well just go gliding.

I get why people have jet powered 747s of this size as rc because they are still far smaller than the real ones but once you get to this scale I'm struggling to comprehend. Once you need an airfield to take off and land you might as well do it for real!

I bet gliding is probably cheaper than this cost too!

Chris

once you get to this size you might as well just go gliding.

OMG Chris I was thinking the exact same thing!  The only reason I can think of not to do it for real when your RC model gets that big (other than the cost would be a bit more for hiring a real sized tow plane), is that if this glider crashes you don't die (unless you crash it into yourself. LOL)

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

I agree….why on earth would a dev not put a feature (esp. a great one) into their new product if there was no reason not to include it? 

Constantly what goes through my head when I see certain questions come up.

There is something about watching a lumbering behemoth on the ground transform into a graceful creature in the air (wing flex really helps the effect as fuel-laden wings… all droopy and awkwardly bent downward on the ground… become beautiful arched marvels of aeronautical engineering when they lift the monster into the air)

Absolutely. I love it. I photoshopped a pic of the 777 a while back where it was at the gate and then in flight, superimposed at the same angle to show how much it moves between the two states. Still one of my favorite sim pics.

My sister-in-law isn't a huge fan of flying (though she'll do it as a means to an end - aka vacation), and really hates turbulence. On a previous flight, she'd seen the wing flexing in turbulence and was unsettled (though she'd later mentioned that she was somewhat relieved by the fact that I was still gloriously passed out in my seat, unworried by it), so I made sure to tell her to watch the wing when we take off to see how much it flexes, and that's not even near the max displacement. I don't think she was a fan of that...haha.

Once you need an airfield to take off and land you might as well do it for real!

I bet gliding is probably cheaper than this cost too!

Glad I wasn't the only one who thought that...

I bet the tow was a bit cheaper though.

I actually set a class time aloft record in the wire launch gliders we built in aerospace class back in high school, aided by the new black running track providing a hell of a thermal. I finally dropped out because I'd forgotten sunglasses that day and it was getting painful to stare up at the sky for that long. Span on those was probably only 6 feet.

Kyle Rodgers

Absolutely. I love it. I photoshopped a pic of the 777 a while back where it was at the gate and then in flight, superimposed at the same angle to show how much it moves between the two states. Still one of my favorite sim pics.

The 787 probably has the most impressive wingflex of them all (as far as tubeliners go.)

I’m actually flying on one out to LAX to this evening but she’ll be nowhere near MTOW, so the wingflex won’t be that impressive.  She’s an awesome ride though, and this will be my 2nd flight on a 787 this year….and covering both models! (an 800 tonight, 900 a few months ago).

She is so quiet (with the exception of when the flaps are in operation…louder than you’d expect, but maybe because the usual engine noise if so suppressed), and those windows….oh my are they awesome!

Its been a banner year for flying on new hardware for me….both models of the 787, and a A320 NEO (in the US no less!, Spirit being the 1st US airline to fly them, and lucky for me they picked KTPA>KDFW as one of her routes, and my flight in particular.)

Now…if I could only get a ride on a 747!  :mellow:

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

The 787 probably has the most impressive wingflex of them all (as far as tubeliners go.)

Indeed I flew on an -8 out of BHX last year and have a video somewhere of the wing flew, it was quite interesting how much they flex. 

I’m actually flying on one out to LAX to this evening but she’ll be nowhere near MTOW, so the wingflex won’t be that impressive.  She’s an awesome ride though, and this will be my 2nd flight on a 787 this year….and covering both models! (an 800 tonight, 900 a few months ago).
She is so quiet (with the exception of when the flaps are in operation…louder than you’d expect, but maybe because the usual engine noise if so suppressed), and those windows….oh my are they awesome!

Definitely a plane I want to fly in. My dad flew on one recently (and called it "the Dreamthing" when he texted me to announce it was what he was flying in that day...haha).

-8 and -9 by the way  :P

Boeing dropped the 00s from all new aircraft...because reasons...unless you're referring to the aircraft plus customer code. (I guess it seemed a little 1980s/1990s to them?)

Sorry - just one of those things I like to point out. It's especially fun when people ask us if we're doing the 747-800. Nope...no 747-800s from us  :P

Its been a banner year for flying on new hardware for me….both models of the 787, and a A320 NEO (in the US no less!, Spirit being the 1st US airline to fly them, and lucky for me they picked KTPA>KDFW as one of her routes, and my flight in particular.)

Nice! I'm taking a 748 and a 320neo next month. Can't wait for the 748 ride. I'll have to dust off my German to ask if I can see up front after the flight (and for the rest of the trip, really - first few days are always rough for me since I never speak it here except on the forum and in support...and that gives me the advantage of typing it out). Got up front after my most recent 777 ride (a few months ago to BRU), but partially because the purser turned out to be one of my mom's friends from way back.

When I fly with my family, I usually get up front in the 764 that we fly over. Such a weird plane. Looks like a 76 and a 77 had an odd child, up front. This time, I'm off on my own specifically so I could fly on the -8. The neo was just an added bonus.

Kyle Rodgers

Guest BeaverDriver

The 747 (not sure which model, but they're probably all pretty close) wing will flex 13 feet either side of centre by design. Pretty cool.

Oh, and Romain, no, you aren't the only one who doesn't step outside to see if the wings are flexing. Personally I find it a bit too drafty, so I just assume they are doing their thing as they should  :wink:

-8 and -9 by the way 
Boeing dropped the 00s from all new aircraft...because reasons...unless you're referring to the aircraft plus customer code. (I guess it seemed a little 1980s/1990s to them?)

I put the 00's in there for your amusement Kyle. :wink: 

The Safety card for AA's 787's doesn't delineate between the two either (well on the -9 at least, will be able to tell you about -8 after my flight tonight...will post pics later).  

Nice! I'm taking a 748 and a 320neo next month

I need to get busy and get a United 747-4 ride before they become aluminium ingots like the rest of the fleet moving towards that fate.  :sad:   I think I have time to to get a ride on the 747-800...she should be in service for a bit.

You'll be amazed with the neo ride....I sat in seat A20 (or 21) just behind the wing, and despite that location right by the exhaust....amazingly quiet.  

Disclaimer:

All trailing zeros, or lack thereof, were purposely placed incorrectly for the enjoyment of this forum audience.  Steve really knows the dash codes for these aircraft.  :P 

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

I put the 00's in there for your amusement Kyle.  

haha - *shakes first*

I need to get busy and get a United 747-4 ride before they become aluminium ingots like the rest of the fleet moving towards that fate. 

Yeah. Definitely try. I've been on a BAW 744, a DLH 744, and a UAL 744 (which was the worst of the lot as it was the oldest, and the cabin amenities reflected that). Got to ride on a UAL 742 a long time ago, too. That was a cool flight. Equip swap for seasonal volume, and they didn't put anyone upstairs. FA took my brother and me up there at my dad's request to see what it looked like (and the lights were also off, so it offered some really good views of whatever comet was going by...I think it was Hale-Bopp).

I think I have time to to get a ride on the 747-800...she should be in service for a bit.

*shakes fist again*

You'll be amazed with the neo ride....I sat in seat A20 (or 21) just behind the wing, and despite that location right by the exhaust....amazingly quiet.  

I'm in 19A. Right on the back of the wing, I think.

Kyle Rodgers

*shakes fist again*
  • Patiently waiting for the Queen - CHECK
  • Painting another model in prep to move textures to the PMDG Queen - CHECK
  • Making Kyle shake his fists in utter frustration - CHECK
  • OK...cleared for departure.  :Tounge:

I'm in 19A. Right on the back of the wing, I think

I'm assuming its an LH neo?  You could check SeatGuru and find out where it is in relation to the wings.

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

I'm assuming its an LH neo?  You could check SeatGuru and find out where it is in relation to the wings.

Yeah, that's what I use before most of my flights. Their drawings are sometimes a little basic, though, I think...or maybe I'm thinking of the discrep between SG and each airline's seat map... *shrugs*

Based on their map, I should be right on the back of the wing.

Kyle Rodgers