Sign in to follow this  
kdfw__

google trends: fsx leads p3d and xplane, xplane gainig on p3d

if you're into which platform is top dog, this may be of interest.

http://flusinews.de/2016/12/akte-x-plane-die-google-trends-luegen-nicht/#more-38083

google trends indicate 'fsx' is still drawing 3x search of 'p3d' and interest in 'xplane' surging past 'p3d.'  if you believe search count is a good proxy for actual user interest/user base, this is for you.

now, payware buyer base is probably different--at least here on avsim, it seems the same users are the ones jumping on the newest and greatest every time and they now mostly orbit around the p3d brand.  

if/when x64 platforms become reality in 2017, would be interesting to see how the payware market shakes out. 

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS

This thread is troll bait and flamwar ridden. Most searched could equate to most broken and needs more support so people are searching for a fix. Stats are a double edged sword,

This thread is troll bait and flamwar ridden. Most searched could equate to most broken and needs more support so people are searching for a fix. Stats are a double edged sword,

This. How many issues and tweaks have we found over the last 10 years for FSX? It was (still is) a platform full of issues both in vanilla and enhanced.

Santiago de Larminat

This. How many issues and tweaks have we found over the last 10 years for FSX? It was (still is) a platform full of issues both in vanilla and enhanced.

Absolutely false. If you are using FSX Steam, there are two or three tweaks you may need to do (recommended, but not required). FSX Steam works fine, both out of the box and with thousands of addons, as in my case. Now, if you don't like it, no problem, but assuming that more searches means more issues is pure speculation.

Absolutely false. If you are using FSX Steam, there are two or three tweaks you may need to do (recommended, but not required). FSX Steam works fine, both out of the box and with thousands of addons, as in my case. Now, if you don't like it, no problem, but assuming that more searches means more issues is pure speculation.

I'm not talking about FSX SE, am I?

The gist of what I'm saying is that the google metric is flawed.

Now, it's certainly true that FSX is the most bradly used platform. There's no argument against that, but it is also true that google searches could be more due to error sorting than actual freeware/payware related searches. How is that stat a fact if you are not separating the numbers in types of search? I cannot read German but OP is not separating the facts either.

Could be. Or could be not. But the metric is flawed. Xplane could be the perfect sim and nobody would have problems with anything related to it, how are google searches going to be?

Santiago de Larminat

Sorry, but numbers are numbers, speculation is speculation.

Both FSX and FSX Steam work fine out of the box and, in general, with addons. The same applies to P3D and X-Plane. Obviously, any platform is prone to errors and issues and obviously this is also accounted for in Google searches. The more addons and mods you put on the top of the vanilla platform, the more your system and your simulator tend to be unstable and this will inevitably rise the number of searches related to issues. But even searches related to issues are evidence of an interest for that platform. You do not search anything you have not an interest for.

FSX has not the same market share it used to have years ago, yet the number of searches prove it still has a clear lead on P3D and X-Plane. Does not mean it is necessarily "better", it does not mean the greater interest is simply due to more issues either.

Then I am a case that falsifies this statistics. I am exclusively flying P3D, but when I google for sceneries etc, I always search for FSX because it will generate more hits, and most sceneries work on both platforms.

Peter

Sorry, but numbers are numbers, speculation is speculation.

Both FSX and FSX Steam work fine out of the box and, in general, with addons. The same applies to P3D and X-Plane. Obviously, any platform is prone to errors and issues and obviously this is also accounted for in Google searches. The more addons and mods you put on the top of the vanilla platform, the more your system and your simulator tend to be unstable and this will inevitably rise the number of searches related to issues. But even searches related to issues are evidence of an interest for that platform. You do not search anything you have not an interest for.

FSX has not the same market share it used to have years ago, yet the number of searches prove it still has a clear lead on P3D and X-Plane. Does not mean it is necessarily "better", it does not mean the greater interest is simply due to more issues either.

Numbers are numbers are numbers.

You can have 2000hs of real J3 flying, and the other guy has 1000hs of testing Century jets at Edwards. Numbers say that the J3 guy is more experienced, but he's not (with all due respect to J3 drivers, you're amazing).

You cannot make an assumption out of an abstract information, without stripping down the actual data.

Santiago de Larminat

Numbers are numbers are numbers.

You can have 2000hs of real J3 flying, and the other guy has 1000hs of testing Century jets at Edwards. Numbers say that the J3 guy is more experienced, but he's not (with all due respect to J3 drivers, you're amazing).

You cannot make an assumption out of an abstract information, without stripping down the actual data.

My friend. The only abstraction I have seen in this thread is to assume that more searches equal more issues. This is pure innuendo based on zero substantiation.

Also, your example, which compares apples to oranges, is completely pointless. Obviously, 2000h of real J3 flying is not equal or more than 1000h of testing Century jets at Edwards, but this is completely out of scope here.

The only hard data here is that FSX still have 3x more searches than its competitors. Does not mean it is superior, does mean it is worse, it simply means what it means.

All I am saying is that numbers don't tell the whole story. A certain fsx user might do a google search for "fsx" twice as much a p3d user would do "p3d". Or the other way around, we don't know.

Therefore I fail to see the reasoning behind such finite numbers in a much more complex system of possibilities.

AS forums did a poll on which simulator was everyone into. I don't remember the result, but whichever it was, it was from a target population who is allegedly more than mere casual simmers. Guys who put some added value to their own sim systems. So it's not a finite answer on whether simulator "A" is more succesfull than simulator "B". See?

Google puts every internet user in the same mold if you do not look for specifics.

But I see your point of view, just that I go with the idea that a number of searches won't mean some sim is winning. Winning in what exactly?

Santiago de Larminat

AS forums did a poll on which simulator was everyone into. I don't remember the result, but whichever it was, it was from a target population who is allegedly more than mere casual simmers. Guys who put some added value to their own sim systems. So it's not a finite answer on whether simulator "A" is more succesfull than simulator "B". See?

This is exactly the argument used in the linked article. Forum polls are themselves interesting to shed light on simmers' behaviors and trends, however they only represent a small part of the simmer community, notably the so called "hard simmers". This is why Aerosoft, Orbx and AVSIM statistics, for example, tend to return a bigger share for P3D than generic statistics like those on Google Trends. Also, the article points to the fact that not even all members of those fora vote in a poll. As Mathjis Kok himself always pointed out, only a negligible share of their customers are also active members on the Aerosoft forum.

Google puts every internet user in the same mold if you do not look for specifics.

And this is exactly the reason why Google Trend statistics are probably more indicative of the general trends in the simmer community than any specific simmer forum. Not every simmer is active on AVSIM, Aerosoft or Orbx forum, but everyone uses Google for searches. Me, for example. I have not less than 60 Orbx sceneries, however I only read their forum three or four times per year.

Have to agree with others on this who are P3D users but often search for FSX for information on addons.  I think the same goes for the high number of threads on the AVSIM FSX forum. I uninstalled FSX about a year ago and fly P3D exclusively, but still frequently check the FSX forum as there are likely to be comments there on addons that are compatible with both P3D and FSX.

My system specs: Intel i9-10850@3.6 - 5.2 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, 32GB  DDR4  RAMNoctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler,1TB Seagate SSD, 4TB Seagate HD, Windows 10, Asus 32 inch monitor, Saitek Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals and Trim Wheel     Sims: MSFS2020      Preferred Aircraft  Black Square Bonanza, and Baron, A2A Comanche, PMDG DC-6, Red Wing L1049 

Just remember, 73.6% of all statistics are made up. :dance:

Oh, and in before the lock. :Tounge:

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.