Sign in to follow this  
MarkSC

ORBX XP11: What are your predictions?

Dayum. I heard they stopped supporting PayPal as an option. I don't think I'll buy anything if they don't allow us to use PayPal.

ASUS Maximus VIII Hero Alpha

Intel Core i7 6700K 4.5GHz

Corsair Vengeance Black LPX 32GB

Asus STRIX GTX 1080

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD

Smart decision. 

XP actually has the engine to do some of the things they've only wished about in P3D. 

• Upvote 2

I'd like to remember the immortal prophecy by John Veneema himself that "X-Plane has no future".

It feels good to be right, even if it may take 4 years: http://www.avsim.com/topic/398491-orbx-remarks-about-x-plane/page-21#entry2593853

• Upvote 8

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Oh come on folks, why all of a sudden are we perpetuating hearsay and drama?  We just got off PayPalGate, now this?

Honestly, I think John is just trying to drum up business right now, so he can restore people's confidence in his company. 

I've come to the conclusion that if it isn't sitting right here in front of me, staring me in the face, then take it with a grain of salt.  IF what he says, becomes a reality and we actually see all the sims go 64-bit next year, I'll eat my hat.

• Upvote 3

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Seems

It feels good to be right, even if it may take 4 years:

So true. 

Hans

Well...they should offer a position immediately to Mr. X, and a couple of others that have created XP airports that match, or even surpass the 3rdP content standards that Orbx has made their distinctive mark.

The first thing (IMHO) they need to make, is what they did for FSX and P3D...world-wide graphics (their Global product), then world-wide, or continent-wide LandClass.

After that...specific regions and airports

I can only imagine what XP11 could be converted to. One thing they don't need to re-invent...is night lights.  That engine is quite alive and well.

• Upvote 3

After deprecating X-Plane for so long, I'd be astonished if Orbx enters this market.

Not sure we really need it either, given advancements in X-Plane like the HD & UHD terrain mesh, OSM roads and buildings in default scenery, and what can be done with free Ortho scenery generation. Maybe there's a market for conversions of their small jewel box GA airports, but I'm not sure there would be interest in anything large scale.

Orbx was also an announced partner of DTG for their new flight sim. Since that's a major selling point, I imagine DTG wouldn't be too happy with them working on X-Plane scenery as well. Then again, that project has gone dark recently and we don't know what the status is.

• Upvote 6

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

he first thing (IMHO) they need to make, is what they did for FSX and P3

Not sure that I see it the same way. Look at Europe LC, this is hardly better than stock FSX. Global is quite ok, but still much better in some areas than in others. I'd rather see them do a full region first to showcase what they can. Then build on a modular system, like mesh+ortho+autogen and so on. I'd also prefer to pay for individual modules or maybe a subscription model (which may be unattractive for folks with not so perfect internet connections though).

We'll see. Most likely it's XP11.5 before they get really started. 

• Upvote 1

Hans

Oh come on folks, why all of a sudden are we perpetuating hearsay and drama?  We just got off PayPalGate, now this?

Honestly, I think John is just trying to drum up business right now, so he can restore people's confidence in his company. 

I've come to the conclusion that if it isn't sitting right here in front of me, staring me in the face, then take it with a grain of salt.  IF what he says, becomes a reality and we actually see all the sims go 64-bit next year, I'll eat my hat.

That's not that far-fetched. 

3 of the 4 are already 64 bit (I'm not even including FSX in this conversation). So if P3Dv4 is 64 bit as all hinting seems to suggest, all four platforms still in development will be 64 bit. 

After deprecating X-Plane for so long, I'd be astonished if Orbx enters this market.

Not sure we really need it either, given advancements in X-Plane like the HD & UHD terrain mesh, OSM roads and buildings in default scenery, and what can be done with free Ortho scenery generation. Maybe there's a market for conversions of their small jewel box GA airports, but I'm not sure there would be interest in anything large scale.

Orbx was also an announced partner of DTG for their new flight sim. Since that's a major selling point, I imagine DTG wouldn't be too happy with them working on X-Plane scenery as well. Then again, that project has gone dark recently and we don't know what the status is.

It'd depend on just how much they can improve upon the default scenery without breaking what's so good about it. The coloring and textures that make up scenery could use an upgrade if it's possible and it would be nice to see better defined land-class within the 3D plausible world. More regionalized (and simply more variety everywhere) autogen and seasons are also needed.  

I recognize that XP does things differently, so what's possible and what's not is a bit fuzzy to me. But for those of us who fly in the US where OSM (building) data isn't that great and don't really like straight photo scenery, a way to improve the plausible world generation would be welcomed. 

• Upvote 3

Given the huge resources of Orbx compared to other X-Plane scenery developers, maybe they could make a global texture replacement (the equivalent of FTX global, but adapted to X-Plane OSM based scenery) introducing at the same time the 4 seasonal texture variations.

• Upvote 1

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

That's not that far-fetched. 

3 of the 4 are already 64 bit (I'm not even including FSX in this conversation). So if P3Dv4 is 64 bit as all hinting seems to suggest, all four platforms still in development will be 64 bit. 

Sorry man, but unless there is tangible and undeniable proof, I'd toss it over my shoulder.  There have been vague hints from LM about a 64-bit platform for far too long so I wouldn't expect them to release anything that drastic too soon, and DTG has had to delay their 64-bit sim.  Aerofly, yes, I'll give you that as well as XP, but I'm trying to figure out the third flight simulator, unless you are speculating it will be ORBX producing their own, which would be a stretch.

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Sorry man, but unless there is tangible and undeniable proof, I'd toss it over my shoulder.  There have been vague hints from LM about a 64-bit platform for far too long so I wouldn't expect them to release anything that drastic too soon, and DTG has had to delay their 64-bit sim.  Aerofly, yes, I'll give you that as well as XP, but I'm trying to figure out the third flight simulator, unless you are speculating it will be ORBX producing their own, which would be a stretch.

DTG is already 64 bit, regardless of their delays. XP11 is 64 bit. Aerofly is 64bit. 

That's 3 of the 4. 

P3D is the only one left that's 32bit. I've seen enough hints dropped in the past month by developers and streamers/testers under NDAs to be pretty confident that P3Dv4 will be 64bit and it will be out in 2017. 

Look at the starting letter of each project. It's a dead giveaway. That wasn't an accident. 

• Upvote 3