Sign in to follow this  
theskyisthelimit

VAS usage with XP11?

Curious if anyone has been monitoring VAS with XP11 with some "moderate" addons running?

I believe in one case I spotted online, through using process explorer it appeared that with NYCX at least, memory usage was approaching 15GB..

In my system i currently have 16GB of memory.. contemplating adding 16GB more.. perhaps its just a no brainer, or maybe the one test was a fluke.

Curious overall what everyone is finding... i hope to do some testing this weekend on my own system.

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

Nowhere near that.  At high settings with HD mesh, etc., I'm seeing < 8 GB.  Maybe NYCX is unsual though.

:Shame On You: please don't use the word VAS, it reminds me of the dark moments I had with the other sim... :P

Joke aside, I've never seen mine go beyond 12gb with all the goodies out there including UHD mesh

• Upvote 3

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

Well, I only have 12GB at present and XP11 quits multiple times when I fly over LFPG or hopping more than a few airports in one session. So it can definitely bust 12GB of memory. 

I don't blame XP11 though at all and I'm happy to see it uses my memory to the fullest. I'll build a new PC soon and 32GB will be mandatory, with option to expand to 64GB. 

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

Like others, I haven't seen going beyond 12GB (uhd, orthos, payware, etc).

I also have 16GB of RAM, hopefully that should be enough :)

This is from Rob

Asus Rampage VI Extreme Encore(water Cooled) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Hybrid, 64 DD4 @ 2800 2 x 2x M.2 in raid 0.

Robs video was where I got the first indication that having more than 16 might not be a bad idea

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

X-Plane hardly even needs VAS, it directly addresses any and all available RAM since it's 64-bit. Plus, all of those airport scenery packs—they technically use up VRAM (textures, shadow rendering, etc), not RAM. It's mainly the meshes, and aeroplane add-ons that go into RAM. And complicated meshes jack up the RAM usage.

XP usually sits around 15-16GB RAM usage for me and well over 5.5-6GB of VRAM. I have seen it hit into the high 20's but that is rare. X-CSL will hog a ton of memory at higher resolution settings with XSB. I actually had numerous OOMs because of this until I figured out what was the cause.

if your pc can handle uhd mesh then more than 16 is always a good idea.

The problem is not always x-plane. the problem is what do you do besides x-plane. Just with x-plane you might be fine, but then you have firefox open with 2-3 tabs of your navigraph charts, you have plan-g open, maybe even youtube or other entertainment forms during cruise, and voila another 4 gigs of ram used without x-plane.

Personally i upgraded to 32gigs and with the current prices of sub 100€ for even ddr4 its a pretty no brainer.

NYC X is extreme.  I have tested with HD Mesh version 3 and default cities and larger airports with things like Pilot2ATC and XEnviro running.  I have never had more than 8 GB VAS usage, and usually more like 6 GB or less.  I do, however, get to 7 GB VRAM use in 4k.

I have never had more than 8 GB VAS usage

As said before, X-Plane 64bit doesn't use VAS (Virtual Address Space). It uses RAM, and VRAM. That's all. I think it's important to use the right terminology, VAS is a thing of the past and operating systems and software will rapidly obsolete the 32bits memory addressing.

cheers,

Pascal

• Upvote 3

I agree about the VAS terminology. It refers to a fixed 4GB address space in another sim, and doesn't have anything to do with the way X-Plane works.

• Upvote 2

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Well, to be precise: VAS is active and works with 64 bit programs, but outside of the 32 bit area it doesn´t contain any usefull user information.  In 64 bits its limit is now 128 TB.