Sign in to follow this  
twharrell

Upgrading my computer-thoughts?

This year I am upgrading my computer but I am hoping to get another good year or two before I upgrade my CPU/Mobo.

Currently I am running an i7 3770k at 4.5 GHz, 8BG DDR3 2400 GHz RAM, GTX 770, Hyper 212 EVO

Upgrades I am considering:

1) GTX 1070-already purchased

2) Noctua DH-15S CPU cooler

3) 16 GB DDR3 RAM

I am wondering if the RAM upgrade makes sense. I know 32-bit limits me right now but if P3D goes to 64-bit in the next year, I want to be ready. Is the RAM upgrade a worthwhile "investment"?

Any other thoughts on this system getting me through another 2 years?

Thanks

The 1070 is a great card!

That Noctua cooler is simply OUTSTANDING, but a slight overkill unless you're overclocking.  I've just switched from the Noctua, to a high end 280mm AIO water cooler and, to be honest, its only a little better than that Noctua item, when reaching 4.7 - 4.8 ghz.

I also wouldn't worry too much about that RAM for a while.  In FSX & P3D I don't believe it's a big issue.  My experience has been that super-dupa RAM is one of those upgrades that, when added to several others, will show an improvement.  Might be a different matter in more modern games or video rendering etc.

I'd pretty much agree with Phil. If you intend to stick with the 3770K, then I don't believe you will see any significant improvements by increasing RAM. Theoretically maybe, but will you notice it... doubtful.

You say you're considering the D15S. As you've probably seen, a cooler I most definitely recommend. I presume you intend to do so in order to increase your overclock or drop temps. In which case both should be feasible. D15S cools a lot better than the 212 Evo.

However... don't be fooled into thinking that a few extra MHz will translate into big frame rate improvements, because it won't. A few hundred MHz at 30 frames per second translates to a small increase in frame rate. Greater smoothness, less stutters... not sure.

I've definitely decided on the Noctua cooler. Right now I am running my CPU at 4.5 GHz and I don't plan to push it further. I just want better temp control. Thanks for the RAM advice.

I just rebuilt my PC with a Corsair 200R Carbide with the Noctua D15S and it fit just fine.  Hope that helps

I have a full size Corsair Carbide case, so it looks like it'll fit just fine.

I recently changed my case to Corsair Graphite T780.  Monster of a thing!  Prior to that, I've almost always had CM cases.  Should've moved to Corsair a long time ago. Much better build quality, and even better design.

The only case I've ever had that compares to this build quality, is Lian Li.  They're lovely.

1070/1080 for Prepared and you can't go wrong excellent cards. But try and get one like Asus Strix or something

Angus Rowlands: i7 8700 RTX Asus Strix 2080, 16 GB RAM

I recently changed my case to Corsair Graphite T780.  Monster of a thing!  Prior to that, I've almost always had CM cases.  Should've moved to Corsair a long time ago. Much better build quality, and even better design.

The only case I've ever had that compares to this build quality, is Lian Li.  They're lovely.

Ha, yes indeed Phil. I have a Lian Li X510. Awesome case.

Arrived today, just finished opening the box with my daughter, is her Lian Li Q36 WG Mini ITX.