Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

Orbx EU Norway

I'm considering buying Orbx EU Norway and wanted to ask current owners how you like it?

Not being a new product anymore I know there are lots of threads and reviews out there but most of them are quite old by now so would like some fresh input how this product performs in P3Dv3, how much of an improvement it is over using only the global Orbx products (FTX Global, Vector and openLC) and if you think it's worth its price?

I do all my flying in the NGX but after switching from 2D to VR I've become more interested in what's outside the cockpit windows.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Richard Åsberg

I bought it on sale last year and forgot about it for almost six month. And then I remembered. My first flight in P3D 3.4 was into the Geiranger Fjord in a Do-27 and since then I have been hooked. It's absolutely fantastic and now that I have Narvik and soon Hammerfest and...I will fly there even more often.

But if you mostly fly the NGX, maybe you shouldn't bother, as for that kind of flying, Global, Vector and FS Ultimate should be good enough. If you should ever venture into GA flying, then you have to go for it. Just my 2 cents

Any attempt to stretch fuel is guaranteed to increase headwinds

My specs: AMD Radeon RX6700XT, AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32GB RAM, 34" monitor, screen resolution: 2560x1080

I love it but I prefer to fly low and slow and enjoy the scenery. If you are going to fly tubes over it, don't know if it would be worth it for you.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I bought Norway recently it's beautiful scenery one of ORBX's best if you want my opinion.

Angus Rowlands: i7 8700 RTX Asus Strix 2080, 16 GB RAM

I fly the NGX in Norway and I really enjoy it.   I spend a lot of time switching between the cockpit and the scenery.

Eric Anderson

Or you can short hop in the Dash 8 South to North.  Worth it!  Orbx Norway is amazing. 

• Upvote 1

Jason Weaver - WestWind Airlines; FlyUK Airlines; VirtualUnited.org

5.jpg

Banner_MJC12.png

It is very objective of course but I bought FTX Norway the day it had been released and I have been flying there ever since. I think I flew outside of FTX Norway some 2% of my time during the last years: 98% I spend in Norway. I mainly fly GA but I have spend a few months flying the Airbus 319 between (mainly) Bergen, Trondheim and Oslo.

Take note though that I also love the country because I spend 10 holidays there during my teens. ;)

If you get it, be sure to also get the freeware Airports of Norway: high quality airports that are made to fit into FTX Norway.

I have to add though that I find it a bit difficult to promote P3D addons now I am hooked to XP11... but if you decide to stick with P3D FTX Norway is a very good purchase. Doesn't look old to me at all btw. As fas as P3D scenery can look not old LOL (Just kidding.)

Since I currently spend all my time in the NGX I guess I won't get as much out of it as someone who is doing GA but just like Eric said above you can still enjoy what's down there.

Another question since I'm new to Orbx regions, what about the border between this region and the normal P3D terrain? When flying from Norway to Sweden for example what will it look like when I leave this region? Is the border ugly?

And what about VAS usage?

Now I'm back using P3Dv3.2 which handles VAS very good compared to the version of 3.4 I tried before but I heard Orbx regions can consume lots of VAS like EU England for example and guess it would be similar to any other of their regions such as Norway?

I guess what might be dangerous getting this region is I will like it so much I will then have to get all their other regions as well and then it will start to get expensive :wink:

Richard Åsberg

I asked a question a while ago about how worth it their regions are and the consensus was since I do 95% VA tubeliner flying that I wouldn't find any regions worth it.  It's too bad because I would like to have a few of their sceneries but they are only compatable with the regions.  I might go for the Alaska ones though I'm yet to decide.  ORBX just adds a lot of cost for what I would personally get out of them.

5800x3d Asus 4090 ROG Strix OC 2TB SSD 32GB Ram

If you like the Q400, Norway is a great region to fly. And between Orbx and Jo Erlend Sund, Norway airports are getting lots of love. Think challenging approaches to short runways over beautiful terrain in overcast conditions. Good stuff.

Todd

It is a very nice scenery, but far from perfect. That said, it a nice place to fly the 737, and with the free Airports of Norway package you get good performing airports that are very fps friendly and tailored for P3D v3. Winter operations in Norway can be challenging and you'll love the approach to Tromsø in bad weather. Lots of good 30-60 minute flights by Norwegian and SAS to simulate. If performance is important I would be careful with the Aerosoft airports for Norway. 

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Is the border ugly?

Yes, it is. I installed FTX Global ONLY so the borders wouldn't look bad. If you fly high you will see those borders a lot, specially when you go up north in Norway! With FTX Global you won't even notice the borders. Having said that: you might also only get FTX Global and then OpenLC for Europe... it will cost a lot more but then you will have an upgrade of the entire world and specially Europe will look a lot better thanks to OpenLC. (Global without OpenLC won't make Norway look too good.) If you ONLY fly high the regions are a bit of a waste... though still worth it, I think, specially with the current sale.

Guess I need to think this over a bit but thanks for all the great feedback so far!

Richard Åsberg

Since I currently spend all my time in the NGX I guess I won't get as much out of it as someone who is doing GA but just like Eric said above you can still enjoy what's down there.

I would respectively disagree with this comment.  I mostly fly NGX/A320 on Norwegian/SAS routes too in Norway and it is BEAUTIFUL!!  I get if you're low and slow, you have some more time to enjoy the scenery.  But, that doesn't mean that just because you fly high and fast, that you can't enjoy the scenery sometimes too!  So I'd say it's totally worth it...even for tubeliner flying.

• Upvote 1

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024