Sign in to follow this  
blunttrauma

RTO Will not engage

A couple of times now, when setting up the cockpit in the 777. I have left clicked the RTO knob, it moves over to RTO

then flicks back to the off position. I have tried taking off with it in the off position - engaged TOGA and the aircraft would not

reach V1.

Bill MacLeod

then flicks back to the off position. I have tried taking off with it in the off position - engaged TOGA and the aircraft would not

reach V1.

Sounds a lot like your brakes are not calibrated, or aren't configured properly. Using hardware brakes, I'm guessing?

Kyle Rodgers

Hi Kyle, I have parking brake set (Ctrl+.). Last thing I do before I advance the throttle is release the parking brake.

The only difference from other flights is that I haven't switched the central fuel pumps off.

Bill MacLeod

Hi Kyle, I have parking brake set (Ctrl+.). Last thing I do before I advance the throttle is release the parking brake.

The only difference from other flights is that I haven't switched the central fuel pumps off.

Do you have hardware brake pedals?

Kyle Rodgers

I have Saitek rudder pedals with toe-brakes. This might be the problem they have been dysfunctional lately

when I am on a take-off roll with other aircraft, if I touch the pedals even slightly, the plane banks to the left

on the runway. I have tried looking at the flight control synoptic on the 777 and just touching the rudder

pedals, when I do this the left ailerons are activated.

Bill MacLeod

when I do this the left ailerons are activated.

Sounds like you need to calibrate your axes, and assign the proper axes to the hardware. FSX will assign all kinds of random stuff to anything plugged in. Not even kidding.

I have Saitek rudder pedals with toe-brakes. This might be the problem they have been dysfunctional lately

Definitely the problem. I bet that if you unplug them, the problem goes away.

You may be able to get away with simply making sure the brakes axis is assigned to the brakes of the pedals, and then making sure the "reversed" box is checked, but the brakes might still "drag." In order to get them to work properly, you may need a tool like FSUIPC to calibrate the axis better.

Kyle Rodgers

O.K. Tried getting new rudder pedals...that didn't work. Tried unplugging the rudder pedals...that didn't work.

Problem still persists, can't take off.

Bill MacLeod

Hi,

Have you checked when you plugged your new rudder pedals what axis fsx has set by default to it?

And have you configured it through fsuipc or fsx? In the first case, have also deselect the axis in the fsx settings ?

Two other things to try:

_ If you have a fsuipc profile, then remove it and create a brand new one.

_ If you use a custom panel state, try loading the aircraft with the default panel.

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Avec l'avion, nous avons inventé la ligne droite.

St Exupéry, Terre des hommes.

Hi Romain, I have not checked the axes, just plugged the new pedals in... RTO still wouldn't engage. Then tried with the pedals disconnected, same result. I have no Idea what a fsuipc is.

Bill MacLeod

Hi Romain, I have not checked the axes, just plugged the new pedals in

I guess you are using FSX? FSX automatically (and very stupidly...) assignes buttons and axis of any hardware connected. So when you connect a new hardware, you should always go to the fsx key assignment and check what fsx does with your hardware.
If you have an issue with your old hardware due to wrong assignment and you just plug an new hardware in without checking, chances are that you would have the same issue.

So check that the correct axis are assigned to the brakes and that you have sufficient deadzone defined.

I have no Idea what a fsuipc is

Ok so disregard that.

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

I didn't know there was any other way to use fsx other than automatically (and very stupidly)...In other words ( get over yourself ).

Bill MacLeod

I didn't know there was any other way to use fsx other than automatically (and very stupidly)...In other words ( get over yourself ).

I'm very sorry if I offended you in any way, it was not my intention! 

I didn't want to patronize you and would never imply that you could be stupid. 

I only mean that FSX doesn't always do things optimally.

Apologies.

Now, I'm stepping out of the discussion.

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Apology accepted. Following your suggestion, I have checked the control settings and they are as follows.

Event       Ailerons axis       Left toe   Reverse unchecked

Event       Brake Left axis    Blank      No reverse box

Event       Brake Right axis Blank       No reverse box

Event      Elevator axis       Right toe Reverse unchecked

Bill MacLeod

So if I'm right you have left toe set to ailerons axis and right toe to elevator axis, so for now, all you can control with your rudder pedals is the aileron and the elevator which you don't want and not the brakes and rudder, which you want to...

All the opposite of what you want. Sorry but this is what I meant to say when I said that FSX has a stupid way to assign the hardware...

Try to assign the left toe to the brake left axis, the right toe to the brake right axis and the your rudder pedal axis to the rudder axis.
Then check in fsx if all the axis work to the correct direction. 
If you discover that the either brakes are set while the toes are released then tick the reverse box.

PS.: if I'm wrong, just call me whatever you like, I'll deserve it. :wink:  

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg