Sign in to follow this  
ErichB

FS Global Ultimate - Next Generation Mesh

8 hours ago, jabloomf1230 said:

Use tmfviewer from the P3d SDK. It will show all the LOD levels in a mesh file up to the maximum LOD.

Thanks Jay, good to know.

I haven't purchased FSGM yet though and was hoping to find out beforehand what they use for Australia. Presently using Holgamesh.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Here's the Cape York Peninsula:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0ygwrg7s0sh44zh/Cape York FSGUNG.jpg?dl=0

It looks like all of the continent is at least 38 m (LOD 10), although some of the mountainous terrain might be higher. Holgermesh Australia is 76 m (LOD 9), I believe. You'd best email PILOT'S! and ask them. Also, when it comes to mesh it's not just the cell size that matters. It's also the resolution of the raw data.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, jabloomf1230 said:

It looks like all of the continent is at least 38 m (LOD 10), although some of the mountainous terrain might be higher.

Ok, thanks again.
Looks like it would be an upgrade compared to Holgamesh then.

gb.

• Upvote 1

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

I am looking at this mesh because it is on special for AU$90 on my chosen suppliers list. I have many orbx land classes and scenery's. Does this mesh improve the orbx renditions as well? I am tempted to purchase it because i think the orbx boys and girls write their sceneries using this groups software. Can anyone confirm this?

How much resolution mesh be sufficient for airliner flying beyond which would be considered overkill?

Even airliners land :)  higher terrain mesh resolutions become more apparent the closer you are to ground level. While the highest mesh resolutions are best for four-wheelin', hiking as an avatar, ultralights, and low-and-slow bush flying, barnstorming, or crop dusting, even an airliner below 3000 AGL can benefit from the higher resolutions. Of course enroute between airports at FL 35 you won't see much difference out to the horizon. 

Justin - Toposim

http://www.toposim.net

On 8/12/2017 at 3:13 AM, him225 said:

How much resolution mesh be sufficient for airliner flying beyond which would be considered overkill?

Get freemeshX + Toposim Alaska/Hawaii, full world coverage for a lot cheaper!

6 hours ago, 777200lrf said:

Get freemeshX + Toposim Alaska/Hawaii, full world coverage for a lot cheaper!

But no airport flattening tools, ok if you are fine with plateaus, but this is one area where FS global mesh is really worth the extra money

7 hours ago, Glynn said:

But no airport flattening tools, ok if you are fine with plateaus, but this is one area where FS global mesh is really worth the extra money

That flattening is coming, and is less obvious if you have a product like Orbx vector, and if you only fly to addon airports pay/free like I do.

I did purchase FSGUNG FTX DL as it was on sale some weeks ago (I wouldn't had purchased it at it's full price). I paid it the price because of those 80Gb of data mesh. I mostly fly jets and I must say the mesh was a game changer for me. Even flying at FL360 over the Alps, you can clearly see a very big improvement of the scenery.

BUT...

I'm sure there are some areas which do show those plateaus or deep crevasses. An example of this is at LPMA (Madeira). The default airport elevation was never fixed an thus sits some 200m (if I remember correct) above the real ALT. You will not see this without the mesh since the surrounding ground is also higher. When you first try to land there, you will find yourselve always way too low until you realise somethings wrong. Well...installing the FSG Mesh will of corse lower the terrain at it's correct ALT leaving the airport on a protruding piece of land. This is of course again is a graphical hit in the eye but does not mean that the mesh is wrong.

Unfortunately neither the AFM2 tool can solve this problem. I even tried to lover the ARP myself with ADE but it did not wotk either. Again unfortunately, I send a ticket to Pilot's and got no answer at all.

• Upvote 1

Gerald K. - Germany

Core i7 10700 / ASUS ROG Gaming-E / ASUS Strix  RTX 3090 OC / 32 Gb RAM GSKILL.

"Flightstick" = X56 HOTAS RGB Logitech