Sign in to follow this  
alpicat

X-Plane 11 - AI Crosswind landings and takeoffs

Here's my first video on X-Plane 11 beta 2 with AI aircraft landing and taking off in ~14 knot crosswinds. Default aircraft and airports: Zurich, London Gatwick and Heathrow.

• Upvote 5

That's rather impressive for AI traffic to behave much more realistically than with other AI traffic, whether it be OOTB or 3rd party.

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Here's my first video on X-Plane 11 beta 2 with AI aircraft landing and taking off in ~14 knot crosswinds. Default aircraft and airports: Zurich, London Gatwick and Heathrow.

Looks really cool! Is that X-Camera? I haven't been able to sot out how to set up AI in XP11, any hints there?

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

Looks really cool! Is that X-Camera? I haven't been able to sorry out how to set up AI in XP11, any hints there?

Here's part 1 of 2 tutorial.

Edit: Never mind odourboy, thought you were asking about xcamara....dahh...too early..need my coffee

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

Thanks, but I've watched all the X-Camera tutorials. It's the AI aircraft I'm unclear about. Brand new to XP so I'm not even sure of the sim's default capabilities. The XP11 manual isn't much help as it appears to refer to no longer relevant XP10 configuration screen settings.

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

In the section where you choose the aircraft you want to fly there is a click spot at the top labelled AI Aircraft. Click on it and add whatever you want - the choice is from what is in the aircraft folder including any add ons.

Cheers

Peter

In the section where you choose the aircraft you want to fly there is a click spot at the top labelled AI Aircraft. Click on it and add whatever you want - the choice is from what is in the aircraft folder including any add ons.

Cheers

Peter

Thanks Peter!

Do they follow any sort of flight plan or just buzz around you? Does each entry you add enable one aircraft (or many of that type?) It seems to randomly select what aircraft you add. Do you add a bunch then delete what you don't want? (for instance, I don't want GA aircraft when I'm flying tube liners)

Thanks so much everyone for your very kind comments!

@odourboy: I didn't use X-Camera - only the included free-movement camera which I think you select by pressing "c" and you can then move the camera anywhere.

xcamera looks very useful though, I'll try it - thanks for the tutorial Carlos. I had trouble finding the AI aircraft options initially as well, thanks for the explanation Peter! The AI does sort of follow a flight plan I think. In the sim, if you bring up the map by pressing "m" it shows you the AI planes' flight paths so you can guess where they're going and where they'll land, which helps a lot. You can add and remove aircraft in the "other aircraft options" section - changing the model and liveries as required, so you can get rid of GA aircraft if you don't want them.

For this video I didn't get the chance to try addons as I'd only just bought the sim. I recorded the footage with Nvidia shadowplay, then edited the video clips on Davinci resolve which is a free editing program. 

@Jean-Jacques: I agree, XP seems to have some powerful flight physics - I'd seen the following youtube video featuring crosswind landings on XP10 which looked impressive to me:
  ... and I wanted to try something similar on XP11.  

@MarkW: for sure this isn't what you'd see from a cockpit :) I'll include cockpit views in future videos though. I'm fairly close to London city airport and some of the views in this video is approximately what it looks like in real life when you're at the riverside and see the planes coming in to land. I guess I tried to recreate that here.

Thanks Peter!

Do they follow any sort of flight plan or just buzz around you? Does each entry you add enable one aircraft (or many of that type?) It seems to randomly select what aircraft you add. Do you add a bunch then delete what you don't want? (for instance, I don't want GA aircraft when I'm flying tube liners)

Some sort of random flight plan I think. They will spawn where you are over time and be parked up on the aprons and then spring into life. So not real airways but that's fine for me - I just like to see life at the airports and in the air.

You can choose either random or your prereferred aircraft using the edit button next to any shown aircraft. I tend to use GA but have a couple of heavys. The heavys should not land at airports where the runways are not long enough. I think there a still a couple of tweaks to be done to this as occasionally you will get a heavy where you shouldn't but it is faf far better than XP10.

There seems to be an issue with the beta recalling your preferences so you may have to update it form time to time - you'll suddenly have a Blackbird taking off where least expected. Sure it will be fixed for final release.

The other cool thing is setting failures - if you want say a bird strike at a set altitude or time you can go right in and set it. It can look a bit gruesome when one comes through the windshield. Also you'll note that if you go over speed with say flaps out that the flap will be removed and leave a hole and you have to fight the aircraft until you have retracted the remaining flap(s). Have a look around the failures. All good fun.

Cheers

Peter