Sign in to follow this  
Guest BeaverDriver

A Little Problem

Guest BeaverDriver

OK, I've got a small problem that seems to be manifesting itself with the 777. I've done some research on this and tried pretty much everything I could find to solve it, but with no luck. Now while this is manifesting itself with the 777, that of course, doesn't necessarily mean it's the 777's fault. I don't have the issue with any of my other aircraft, including the J41 and the NGX. It's not the end of the world if this doesn't get solved, the airplane is still usable, but it would be nice if I could clear this matter up. So, please see below for the details:

--------------------------------------------------------------

The Issue:

At the end of each flight with the 777 (specifically the 777-200F), whether I click the Menu>End Flight button or simply hit the red x, FSX crashes (I get the message that Microsoft is attempting to find an answer to my problem < Never let it be said the guys at MS don't have a sense of humour :rolleyes: ). The only exception to the failure is if I load a flight with the 777 but don't start the engines (incidentally, my default setup is with the default 172, not the 777). That saves on gas of course, but it takes me forever (literally!) to get anywhere that way :Tounge: .

Scenarios:

Typically I'm running the latest version of Active Sky 2016, which is up on a second monitor. I'm also running the full/paid version of FSUIPC. There are no other programs running in the background besides the usual 430,982 OS programs (approximately) that normally start with the computer. So far my flights have started or ended in either Norway, the UK or Sweden. I'm not convinced that the geographical area is playing a part because of this. In all cases, the flight is brought to a successful conclusion (HEY, Boeing says you are SUPPOSED to land 'firmly' in their manuals!) and the aircraft shut down to a Short Turn state. There are no anomalies during the flight that are obvious. My flights have ranged from 55 minutes to 2.8 hours. No really long flights yet.

System:

Windows 7 - 64 Bit, 16GB RAM, Soundblaster audio, NVIDIA GTX560Ti (2GB ram)

FSX Deluxe running on a separate drive other than the one the OS is on

Scenery - Most things Orbx have done

What I've Done to Date:

-Uninstalled & reinstalled the 777 (that said, it appears as though the uninstall didn't uninstall everything as when I reloaded it, my saved panel state was still there)

-Installed the latest version of FSUIPC (registered/full version)

-Tried using the Menu>End Flight to end my flights as well as simply hitting the little red 'x'

-Spoke to it real nice-like* (hey, you just never know! Anyway, I doubt PMDG modeled the possiblity of offending the airplane itself, which would be about the ONLY thing that's not modeled in!  :wink: )

-Stood on my head while patting my tummy when hitting the little red 'x' (made me real dizzy!)*

-----------------------------------------------

So, nothing I've tried so far has worked. So I'm looking for ideas, no matter how goofy they might seem (except I'm NOT standing on my head again - still trying to recover from the last time!). If it involves things like re-writing the registry from scratch (or similar), please don't be offended if I choose not to do that, but beyond that, almost anything goes. The solutions, as I said, may not be related directly to the 777 - the 777 may just be the catalyst, but it's the only place to start from as this isn't happening with any other aircraft.

As I said before, since I can complete the flight in full (so far), I'm not overly worried if I can't fix this, but it would be preferable to have normal shutdowns like I get with the other aircraft. If you need more info, please fire away with your questions and I'll answer what I can. Many thanks in advance.

Glenn Davy

PS *please excuse the attempt at humour. As I said, the world as I know it isn't going to end if this doesn't get solved, so why make out like it is :) . Gotta have a little fun in life and keep some perspective. And no, I'm STILL not going to stand on my head again!! :P

At the end of each flight with the 777 (specifically the 777-200F), whether I click the Menu>End Flight button or simply hit the red x, FSX crashes

Menu > End Flight can cause some weird stuff with our aircraft, though that was usually with the NGX.

Try a flight without AS2016. I don't think that's a direct cause, but there could be an odd connection between the 777 and AS2016 that's hanging, which...as we all know...FSX gets confused easily.

In any case - and not to be dismissive, as a crashing program could be a symptom of something worse - but if you're closing the sim, does it really matter if it burns down, or closes in an orderly fashion?  :P

Along those lines, can you find an error report? Start > Type "View Prob" or "View Problem" (no quotes...should give you "View All Problem Reports" as a choice to select - click on it). Find FSX in the menu and then select the latest report.

Kyle Rodgers

Guest BeaverDriver

Ahh, good stuff Kyle, thanks.

- I'll stick with the red x then (as I say, it did it with both, but good to know with other aircraft)

-Definitely will try running without AS. Maybe even a SimConnect issue going there (which AS2016 uses). And yes, FSX was BORN confused <LOL>

-Agreed. That's why I said it's not the end of my world if this doesn't get resolved ;) . One never likes to see a crash before (especially in context with anything aviation :D ), but no, it's not like the airplane isn't usable. It is, so not that big a deal.

-Good info, I'll look for that next flight. Thanks.

Appreciate the help Kyle. We'll see what comes of the next flight.

Glenn

Appreciate the help Kyle. We'll see what comes of the next flight.

Welcome. If you get the crash report, that would really help narrow it down.

Kyle Rodgers

Guest BeaverDriver

OK, just did another flight but with no other addons running as per your suggestion Kyle. Still crashed. So, here is the Crash Report:

-------------------------------------------------------------

Source
Microsoft® Flight Simulator X

Summary
Stopped working

Date
‎16/‎12/‎2016 16:51

Status
Report sent

Description
Faulting Application Path:    D:\FS\FSX\fsx.exe

Problem signature
Problem Event Name:    APPCRASH
Application Name:    fsx.exe
Application Version:    10.0.61637.0
Application Timestamp:    46fadb14
Fault Module Name:    kernel32.dll
Fault Module Version:    6.1.7601.19018
Fault Module Timestamp:    5609fed3
Exception Code:    c0000005
Exception Offset:    00011369
OS Version:    6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID:    4105

Extra information about the problem
LCID:    4105

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looks like a Kernel32 error if I'm reading this correctly. Any ideas on how to fix that (I have one, but it would make a really big mess of my apartment and I do use this PC for other things :Tounge: ).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the link MIchael. I'll have a look at it right now. Much appreciated.

Glenn Davy

Edit - I did research that thread earlier Michael, which is why I updated FSUIPC, etc. Appreciate the link, it was helpful.

Guest BeaverDriver

<LOL> Not a chance Anthony :smile: ! Thanks for the suggestion, but with only one of a whole bunch of airplanes having this issue (and not a serious issue at that), I have neither the time nor the energy for a full reinstall at this point (there's a history to that). If I need that to make FS run, then I'm done. Appreciate the thought though. In a different time and place, maybe :wink:

Glenn

Fault Module Name:    kernel32.dll

This is a generic Windows dll error. You using an overclock or anything like that? Change graphics drivers or something else?

Kyle Rodgers

Guest BeaverDriver

Nope, nothing. Literally. Nothing has changed on this computer since well before getting the 777. Looks like maybe this is something I'll have to live with I guess. Whatever is doing it though, is specific to my system interacting with the 777, but I wouldn't have a clue as to where to go digging for that (speaking of my system, not the 777). I'm wondering if maybe my graphics driver might be an issue? It's pretty old now, but I'm a big believer in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" (unlike when I'm at work as an avionics tech, where the motto is, "if it ain't broke, fix it till it is!" :P ). What might your thoughts be on that Kyle?

Glenn

You are using FSX for which there is no solution per PMDG support. Don't be beating your head against a wall trying stuff that is never going to work. Be thank full that it doesn't crash in the middle of a flight.

Guest BeaverDriver

<LOL> Yep! It's FSX, and yep, I have a severely dented head from the last time (not a PMDG aircraft though) :fool: . I've been wondering what might happen on a really long flight (i.e. trans-atlantic), i.e. if it would crash halfway there. I don't think so though. I think what's happening is something in my system (likely the OS) is preventing a routine in the 777 from completing and closing when FSX gets the "go away" command, and FSX doesn't know what to do next. It's definitely not the 777 itself, that's just the catalyst. It's something relatively specific to my system, but finding what that would be would be like trying to find a needle in the haystack with a pair of tweezers. So your point is very well taken. I'm really not losing any sleep on this and the airplane otherwise works beautifully, so I'll just let sleeping dogs lie as you suggest.

Thanks Michael, appreciate your input :smile:

Glenn

It's pretty old now, but I'm a big believer in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" (unlike when I'm at work as an avionics tech, where the motto is, "if it ain't broke, fix it till it is!" ). What might your thoughts be on that Kyle?

I'm of the same mindset. All the same, Windows isn't. You may want to run through add/remove programs to see if it's changed anything through win update.

Kyle Rodgers

Thanks Michael, appreciate your input

Glenn

I forgot to tell you this. It was a way around the issue. Back in the Winter of 2015 the installer was being updated frequently. No new version number or announcement. So I got in the habit of downloading and installing a least once a week. The first 3 or 4 flights with the new installation exited correctly and then the issue started again. So, it was like once a week I downloaded essentially the same installer. Once a week I was running the OC, doing an uninstall, doing an install and running the OC again to repair the liveries. That got real old after about a month plus it was not a 100% solution. Sometimes it would only go two flights before the 777 didn't exit correctly. I just thought I would mention this to show how persistent simmers are when trying to fix an issue. And I did all this after PMDG support said that if I was using FSX there was no solution.

Guest BeaverDriver

Well, there's the thing Kyle. I turned off Windows updates as soon as I started getting those incessant pop-ups to move to Windows 10. So I've not had one since, so it's not that.

I know exactly what you mean Michael (about persistence). Been there, done that (a few gazillion times). I think the real problem here is MS and Windows. I've seen one program run perfectly one one machine, and barely at all on another. Of course, that stopped as soon as the next (incessant) windows update came. Then it didn't work on either machine. Maybe this will tell you guys something, but the only PC I have left in the house is my gamer (this machine). My other machines (my graphics, LT and tablet - I'm a pro photographer beside the avionics bit) are now all Macs. Not a single problem with those. But of course, you can't run FS on it, so there you go (well, you can, but I don't want to).

I was hoping there might be one little thing that someone would know about that would turn the light on, but it's probably not there. Given the relatively minor nature of the issue, I'll probably just let it be unless something more serious develops. So thank you guys for the input and the help. Most kind of you. Time to go fly again :smile: .

Glenn