Sign in to follow this  
N1G

HyperThreading - Bios vs Nvidia Control Panel

Hi Guys, what is the difference between using Hyperthreading in the Bios and Hyperthreading control in the Nvidia Control Panel.

There was a thread awhile back about not using HT at all but not sure if that was 10 or 11 version. 

Bob

Hi Guys, what is the difference between using Hyperthreading in the Bios and Hyperthreading control in the Nvidia Control Panel.

There was a thread awhile back about not using HT at all but not sure if that was 10 or 11 version. 

Bob

There is no HyperThreading in the nVidia control panel. Hyperthreading in your BIOS will be to configure the hyper threading of your CPU. You probably mean 'Threaded Optimization' in your nVidia control panel. 

Source: http://www.tweakguides.com/NVFORCE_8.html

Threaded Optimization: This setting controls the use of multithreaded optimization for games on systems with multi-core/HyperThreaded CPUs. In theory, by allowing the driver to offload certain GPU-related processing tasks as separate thread(s) on available CPU cores, performance can be improved.

The available settings are Auto, On and Off. Auto allows the GeForce driver to determine if it applies threaded optimization, On forcibly enables it, and Off disables it. In testing this setting in several games, I saw no performance impact. It should be noted however that none of the games I tested were old enough to have been developed before multi-core CPUs became available to consumers (around 2005). User feedback indicates that some older games, as well as some OpenGL games, will exhibit problems if Threaded Optimization is set to On.

It is recommended that Threaded Optimization be set to Auto under Global Settings. This will allow the driver to determine if and how to use threaded optimization for various games. You can turn this setting Off under the Program Settings tab for particular (typically old) games which have problems at the Auto or On setting.

The only problem with the threaded optimization is: In OpenGL it uses an autodetect that runs crazy and geerates multiple processes in the CPU and floods it with useless tasks!

Thanks Glenn for the clarification.

Karsten, that was what I heard but could not remember where I heard it and whether this hyperthreading issue was with XP or P3D. 

So, Hyperthreading (CPU) should be off for XP but wondering if it should be on for P3D? ( I know this the XP forum but it does not hurt to ask)  :smile:

Bob

Thanks Glenn for the clarification.

Karsten, that was what I heard but could not remember where I heard it and whether this hyperthreading issue was with XP or P3D.

So, Hyperthreading (CPU) should be off for XP but wondering if it should be on for P3D? ( I know this the XP forum but it does not hurt to ask) :smile:

Bob

No, LOL hyperthreading doesn't have to be off for XP, where did you read that? Threaded optimization (nVidia XP profile) has to be turned of for XP.

And some use hyperthreading for P3D and others don't. These things depend on a lot of factors and need to be tested for every computer.

No, LOL hyperthreading doesn't have to be off for XP, where did you read that? Threaded optimization (nVidia XP profile) has to be turned of for XP.

And some use hyperthreading for P3D and others don't. These things depend on a lot of factors and need to be tested for every computer.

Thanks Jeroen,

Appreciate the help. 

I guess I just need to test. I hate to have to go into the Bios depending on what sim I am using. Geez, what a pain. I guess I will have to decide on the best Sim for me and drop the other one  :Doh:

I hate to have to go into the Bios depending on what sim I am using.

Xplane performs perfectly fine either with HT on or off and at least on my setup, there is no real performance difference in the two.

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

I just tried it and I can see no difference. 

I just tried it and I can see no difference.

But you did disable threaded optimization? That one is mandatory.

Y

But you did disable threaded optimization? That one is mandatory.

Yes indeed!

Thanks!