Sign in to follow this  
EFRAIN

Cant close FSX SE

Hello guys,

I have a minor issue with my FSX SE, let me explain this maybe the best way possible, for example I do a flight and all good, after I exit out the sim and lets say I stay on the computer doing something else the sim stays open apparently, if I want to go back and open it will give me a message saying fsx se is already open, any reason or solution for this??? the only way I can shut it down is either restarting the pc or using the task manager, please let me know thanks in advance.

Efrain RodriguezP3DWindows 10 64bitIntel i7 6700 4.0 Quad Core NVidia GTX1070<p>120SSD / 2TB

Strange. I sometimes get that message, but only if I've shut SE down then tried re-opening it within 30 seconds or so. Are you on multiplayer - simconnect etc. I can't connect to multiplayer so I wouldn't know about that side of things.

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

I have had boxed FSX to do the same thing numerous times.  I think either the FSX executable gets stuck and will not close or Windows hangs on to it after you close FSX as you will still find it on the list of applications in the task manager.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

no I don't use multiplayer, but sometimes 20 mins pass and still says open, is weird, I just close it using task manager for now.

Efrain RodriguezP3DWindows 10 64bitIntel i7 6700 4.0 Quad Core NVidia GTX1070<p>120SSD / 2TB

If you are on SE it means that SteamBootstraper sits open in Processes. You can either: go to TASK manager and end that process or simply restart your PC.

If you are on SE it means that SteamBootstraper sits open in Processes. You can either: go to TASK manager and end that process or simply restart your PC.

But that shouldn't keep FSX:SE open if you closed it properly. If I use FSX:SE and then close it (without exiting Steam) I can just start it normally later without any messages saying that it's still open.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Well it shouldn't ...true, however it does. If you want to do that route than exit FSX and exit/logoff Steam as well. It's not a big deal doing the way I posted above.....That does not happen always but sometime it does, specially if you are using some add-ons that are "not" communicating well with FSX. At least that is my experience.....Before I was doing restarts but now when I get message that FSX is still running I shut the process....

Is there a crash report or Event Viewer report (see page 7, AVSIM CTD Guide).  I got this many times in the past and my Event Viewer or AppCrashView report said I had a crash with the NTDLL.dll at fault.  Many times programs do not shutdown properly because an addon decides to stay open or does not shutdown properly.  I have seen this with AS16 and they have mentioned it but it is supposedly fixed.  I have not seen it since the past two betas releases and now the final release.

I use Ctrl+C to shutdown.  It looks like FSX is closed but I'll see an icon in the lower right corner of the task bar showing AS16 or something is still open.  I'll close it and I can then reopen FSX.  Another possible solution would be to move your fsx.cfg to a temporary directory, or rename it, or delete it, restart FSX and let FSX rebuild. 

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Do you use Ultimate Traffic? Sometimes I find if I cancel that in task manager, FSX will then shut down.

Well it shouldn't ...true, however it does. If you want to do that route than exit FSX and exit/logoff Steam as well.

It must be down to some combination of add-ons or your system then because I've been using Steam for some years and have never had to close the Steam client to get a game to exit successfully - FSX:SE included. If it was a problem specifically with Steam and FSX then it would be happening to everyone and, clearly, it isn't. I exit FSX:SE and there is no sign of it in Task Manager. When I start FSX again, it starts normally. I leave the Steam client running all of the time in the background.

I know that this is not helping Efrain but it's just to point out that there's nothing fundamentally wrong with FSX:SE. He needs to be looking at what else he runs with FSX as the source of his problem. He should try running FSX without any add-ons and see if he still has the issue when he exits.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Hi,

This can happen without any other add ons running!

Jim uses CTL-C to shut down which is what I usually use.You can still get a slight delay especially if you run a weather program.

The delay however is not excessive,usually no longer than a couple of minutes.

He needs to be looking at what else he runs with FSX as the source of his problem. He should try running FSX without any add-ons and see if he still has the issue when he exits.

Totally agree with that!  Running FSX w/o any weather would be a good start (or making sure one has the latest version).

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I only have to use CTRL C with FSLAB add-on....to exit. With everything else I can exit normally and restart FSX without any issues. If exit with CTRL C than I have to shut process manually. TBH, I did not check Event Viewer when that happens...Kind of, enough of errors :). I am using ASN and it really works well on my PC. But after all FSX has mind on its own...LOL

I had the same problem with FSX boxed - after shut down it would hang for a couple of minutes and if I killed it using the task manager, then I would find that I had lost some of my control assignments the next time I started FSX. In my case the problem seemed to be related to the use of FSPS Multicore Environment Advanced to launch FSX, but if I started FSX without it, the problem disappeared.

Bill