Sign in to follow this  
Macpah

SkyMaxx Pro v4 coming tomorrow

Hmm, I don't expect too much either.  But I will get it for the 20 bucks just because it will allow me to fly with custom weather and clouds as long as XEnviro doesn't provide manual weather. 

Hans

Disregard my question. Stefan confirmed that FSGRW works with XP 11.

Where did you see that posted? The last that I read is that there is a bug in XP11 beta 2 that prevents FSGRW from connecting. That is is still my experience also. The bug is not in FSGRW.

I'll be looking forward to reviews from my fellow simmers, but the feeling the trailer gave me is really an improved SMP more than a new version. Indeed what did notice was a certain cloud repetition and some clouds lacking volume.

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

I'll buy it at the discounted price but unless they start making greater strides between versions it'll be the last one I'll buy I imagine. We'll see, it'll be interesting.

• Upvote 1

I'll be picking this up. xEnviro is currently a no for me because it always uses real weather. At least with SMPv4 it just uses whatever weather you setup in X-Plane (or and external weather engine).

Because I like flying helis and small GA aircraft, using real weather constantly would mean I'd rarely be able to fly (especially in the places I like to fly in). 

xEnviro does that very convincingly, in my opinion.

From what I've seen so far, SMP4 does that as well, but only with the typical fluffy cumulus clouds. I'll test it tomorrow.

Aren't xEnviro clouds 2D i.e., not volumetric/3D? That's a holdover from the old FS series.

• Upvote 1

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb, RX 6900XT 16gb

Cumulus, cumulus, cumulus... Doesn't convince me. Looks just like SMP v3. But I might be biased as I'm a VERY happy xEnviro user...

Yeah agree. Screen shots or videos shot from outside the plane don't convince either with Skymaxx

Where did you see that posted? The last that I read is that there is a bug in XP11 beta 2 that prevents FSGRW from connecting. That is is still my experience also. The bug is not in FSGRW.

I received an email from dev saying that it's compatible. I will test ASAP and let you know the results.

Did you send a bug report to LR?

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

FSGRW will not connect for me to X-Plane 11 at this stage.

I understood that they were looking into it as it only needed a small alteration to let it find X-Plane11 exe.

Trevor Golding

Yeah, xEnviro delivers the best and most real weather depiction we've ever had in XP, without any doubt. But with the nice upgrade offer, I'll give SMPv4 a try as well. I really like its developer, and that's my way of supporting his efforts and hard work.

And as an owner of FSGRW and RWC, I just am curios to see how things evolved...

Talking about xEnviro i agree. But we can't use the NOAA-plugin anymore with xEnviro and their upper winds are quite wrong. I am very sensitive about winds since years and the ones from the NOAA-plugin were extremely accurate. That ###### me off. I really hope they either fix the winds or allow us to use the NOAA-plugin for simulating the winds.

i912900k, RTX 3090, 32GB RAM

I'll be getting it, it looks great, way better than default, and for half the price of the other option at more than twice as nice.

I'd be miffed to if I had spent $80 for pancake clouds and then for half the price I could have these beautiful clouds.

The stratus look good, and the precipitation and dry snow are awesome.

This is what I was hoping for.

I fly with weather about half of one percent of the time, but clouds are a must.

Aaron Tirrell

What the trailer of Skymaxx 4 hides - as far as I can tell - is that the weather is the same all around.

No fronts in the distance or clear on one side and clouds build up on the other side.

Clouds look all the same type - cumulus.

xEnviro seem far more advanced in processing the real weather, much more convincing. 

Most of what is said on the Internet may be the same thing they shovel on the regular basis at the local barn.

OK, somebody with xEnviro buy this and report back!!! 4 more hours ha

I'm honestly torn between the two, desperately disappointed XP10/11 is so bad in this area by default (LR should have dealt with this a decade ago!!!), but still curious which of the 3rd parties do it better now.

xEnviro if continued I feel will be the better option for sure but is still in the very early stages.  I worry the devs won't see it through as they have no track history and we are left in a year or two with a useless $70 product that can't get current weather updates.

Skymaxx Pro 4 is the "prettier" option, but after reasearching a bit I'm frustrated with some of it's developers comments and willingness to advance to platform.  Particularly the ones that say they refuse to acknowledge or even to try Active Sky Next/ Active Sky 2016 on the P3D platform.  That's the gold standard at this point, and the fact they ignore it and won't strive to better it, I feel we are stuck with the constant SMP1-4+ cycle with small improvements between each version, and nothing ever revolutionary.

Thanks for letting us know how it is in a few hours!

EDIT: I do own and did enjoy SMP2, but did not purchase 3.

• Upvote 3