Sign in to follow this  
Macpah

SkyMaxx Pro v4 coming tomorrow

Yep. I just updated to SMP 4 and it's okay for $20 US, but no big improvement over version 3. And $70 US is still way too much to pay for an addon (X-Envrio) that is even more of a work in progress than XP11 is.

First of all it is not a 20$ addon, it's a 40$ addon. Second, RWC+SMP cost 60$...at this point you can clearly says that either RWC+SMP cost too much or X-Enviro cost too little. Let's remember that SMP series ha no weather engine  and please let's not state RWC as a weather engine because it is simply not! 

By now i can only suggest two patsh, either wait to see what laminar will offer (Ben has already stated that there are something in the background though they don't want to share any roadmap, probably to avoid any demands if they change their mind) or buy XEnviro which is at least something new (there is always the risk that they don't delivery what they have promised) . If you find 70$ too much, well then just wait to see what will happens. 

• Upvote 7

First of all it is not a 20$ addon, it's a 40$ addon. Second, RWC+SMP cost 60$...at this point you can clearly says that either RWC+SMP cost too much or X-Enviro cost too little. Let's remember that SMP series ha no weather engine  and please let's not state RWC as a weather engine because it is simply not! 

By now i can only suggest two patsh, either wait to see what laminar will offer (Ben has already stated that there are something in the background though they don't want to share any roadmap, probably to avoid any demands if they change their mind) or buy XEnviro which is at least something new (there is always the risk that they don't delivery what they have promised) . If you find 70$ too much, well then just wait to see what will happens.

Indeed. SMP4 would cost me 40 bucks and imho that is a LOT of money just for some okay clouds... In P3D I always used the freeware HDEv2 clouds which makes 40 bucks even more expensive. X-Enviro is overpriced and I will not even consider buying it until it offers everything that I want from such an addon. So... for now XP will remain a clear weather sim. Think I will spend a lot of time flying during the early or late hours to keep things a bit entertaining.

flying during the early or late hours to keep things a bit entertaining.

I chucked in the Realistic Skycolours from x-plane.org which I like more than default, and makes early and late flights even prettier.

And if people are claiming it's a $20 addon, means they most likely paid $40 for the full version at some point to even get the upgrade. Plus RWC and you're at $80 for a package that still doesn't have the full functionality of xEnviro. Lots of these details tend to be forgotten when comparing the products, it seems.

• Upvote 3

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

Well, after a medium sized four digit amount spent so far on flight simming and the never ending quest for realism I am not worried about the 90 bucks that the SMP4 update and XEnviro cost me. Guess how much fun we will have with buying everything from scratch once Prepar3D goes 64bit and when, which may also not happen, DTG ever publishes its new flightsim. There is a lot to criticize about all add-ons but I don't quite get the price argument given how expensive this hobby can (not has to) be. And finally, I wouldn't want to see XP11 as a good weather sim only. It's way to good for that. 

• Upvote 1

Hans

And finally, I wouldn't want to see XP11 as a good weather sim only. It's way to good for that.

Well, maybe if you indeed pump a lot of money in it but by default XP is a good weather sim only. And only summer too btw. Although I don't have huge problems with that. XP11 is good, no question about that, but in certain ways it is limited, if not extremely limited. But hey, so is default P3D LOL hahaha, although the clouds and weather in it are better by default, and it has seasons (which to me is part of the weather system too).

First of all it is not a 20$ addon, it's a 40$ addon.

Both are correct, 20$ and also 40$ ... :Thinking: . It's 20$ for users having the former version (they get 20$ discount), for completely new users it's 40$. But I won't get it even at the reduced price ... as I recently switched to Linux and SkyMaxx is only for Windoze and Mac.

• Upvote 1

My sceneries (excerpt): LPMA Madeira, LGSR Santorini, the city of Fürth (Germany), ...

and it has seasons

Which are missed in XP, true. But then the winter package does quite a nice job if I feel like seeing snow (which I rarely do :smile: ).

Just compared XEnviro and SMP4 over Key West. No time for screenie comparisons now but XEnviro wins hands down and easily. I really hardly can see any difference between the clouds from SMP3 with SMP4. Just one short test of course, so not a verdict.

Hans

Actually SMP was $40 (unless you got it on sale.) Then if I add $20 for RWC & $20 for SMP v4, then my total spent is $80 for add-ons that do not yield the results I want. This does not include the cost of FSGRW.

xEnviro is looking more and more like the better value.

• Upvote 4

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

MD80_3.png

MD80_6.png

CirrusSF50_11.png

vlcsnap-2016-12-11-13h26m00s789.png

vlcsnap-2016-12-11-13h24m38s568.png

• Upvote 2

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

SMP4? That looks nice.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

MD80_3.png

MD80_6.png

CirrusSF50_11.png

See that's the problem. People release these pictures that basically show no changes but only improvements. I see the same "old" clouds everywhere, simply no variation, besides it doesn't even give me the idea if one of the most frustrating, for me, SMP+RWC problem has been solved, which i doubt. 

Hi All,

First off, wow! A little over a year ago when we released SkyMaxx Pro v3 it was our #1 sales day ever in a product release, and has maintained the most sales of any product for X-Plane (and we've had some pretty notable releases at X-Aviation, including IXEG!). The sales volume was incredible on release day, and we were all left in shock. Today, SkyMaxx Pro v4 has absolutely SHATTERED the opening day sales record and is on-track to do double the sales volume. In 12 hours we have already surpassed our 24 hour record. Amazing, and thank you to our thousands of users! We've got some exciting things planned in the v4 run, so we're happy to get this boat rolling.

Good to see folks passionate about weather, even in this thread. Things can only go up from here. I can see some dislike in this thread, and that's okay and to be expected once you get to the mainstream group. The only response I do have here is contrary to a certain individuals constant discussion that we are somehow reluctant for change, it could not be farther from the truth. The development team behind SkyMaxx Pro is always open to listen, and often times does implement. At this point it's a matter of design philosophy differences between multiple products vs X-Plane's ability. I'm sure as time goes on in the XP 11 run things will get even more exciting.

​So, aside from all of the riff raff and some of the negative speak in here, I'm excited, and based on sales, so are our customers. Here's to hoping we can all evolve and shape XP 11 into an awesome sim!

• Upvote 4

Founder of X-Aviation

by default XP is a good weather sim only. And only summer too btw. Although I don't have huge problems with that.

I think this is an important detail. I have ASN in FSX/P3D, and I'll be honest - I generally find it impossible to fly with real word weather. It would be fine if I was flying big stuff where flights always happen, but for sight-seeing or low & slow VFR flights I find that real world weather, quite often, is just not suitable. I end up using historical weather and trying to find a good day, or I just end up with manual weather.

One example was a few years back, I had FTX Scotland setup with nearly every bit of payware I could get, and used the region purely for helicopter flying, using real world weather. And then fall & winter hit... I quickly realized that I wasn't going to be doing anymore flying if I wanted real world weather! :smile:

Another example is that where I live, the last few weeks have been ranging between 20 - 30 below. Blowing snow, low ceiling, miserable weather. I would never willing setup my sim to fly in it, I see enough on my daily commute!

Anyhow - this doesn't excuse current depiction or addons or pricing or whatever, but just a note on how much it *actually* affects me.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Yes, that is why I won't even think about getting X-Enviro before they add at least historical weather.