Sign in to follow this  
thefrog

Flying in Alaska - with ORBX

I want to explore Alaska.

I have got ORBX FTX Global with Open LC North America, which is very good but the coastines aren't very realistic. With the current ORBX sale I could get ORBX Southern Alaska for $AUD 35 or FTX Vector for $AUD 52 (which I understand would sort the coastines out).

I like the idea of Vector because it would also apply to the whole world, but I have read that there can be problems with the elevations of some default airports - and you really have to add a 3rd party mesh as well (such as Pilots) but even that is not 100% accurate.

Which should I get, do you think?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Intel I7-4770 3.4Ghz
16 Gb RAM
nVidia GTX770 2Gb
Windows 8.1 64 bit
P3D 4.4/3.4 FSX SE

Hi Scott

Thanks for your reply - did you get any problems with airport elevations at all? Or with framerates?

Intel I7-4770 3.4Ghz
16 Gb RAM
nVidia GTX770 2Gb
Windows 8.1 64 bit
P3D 4.4/3.4 FSX SE

no frame rate issues, occasional elevation problems. most can be repaired using the Vector AEC tool...

Sherm

Hi Scott

Thanks for your reply - did you get any problems with airport elevations at all? Or with framerates?

I have both Vector & FTX Southern Alaska. I'd recommend S. Alaska because you can then add their awesome payware airports.

FTX Vector will affect negatively your fps, vas usage, and every time you install any new scenery you have to run the configurator. It's a PITA.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Hi Folks,

Question - I have the SAK region - but I want to explore further North - huge Flying Wild Alaska fan - I've already committed and prefer UT - does the FSX UT for Alaska work in P3D ?

Regards,

Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Hi Folks,

Question - I have the SAK region - but I want to explore further North - huge Flying Wild Alaska fan - I've already committed and prefer UT - does the FSX UT for Alaska work in P3D ?

Regards,

Scott

Yes, get the updates, run the installers as prescribed.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

I want to explore Alaska.

I have got ORBX FTX Global with Open LC North America, which is very good but the coastines aren't very realistic. With the current ORBX sale I could get ORBX Southern Alaska for $AUD 35 or FTX Vector for $AUD 52 (which I understand would sort the coastines out).

I like the idea of Vector because it would also apply to the whole world, but I have read that there can be problems with the elevations of some default airports - and you really have to add a 3rd party mesh as well (such as Pilots) but even that is not 100% accurate.

Which should I get, do you think?

Any advice would be appreciated!

I've both Vector and SAK and I fly Alaska a lot. 

SAK will give a complete setup as it includes new textures, LC, all the vector data, elevations and scores of nicely enhanced airports. Its territory is limited but very large and very varied (for Alaska :wink:). The product page at Orbx has a kmz file that will show you what SAK covers 

Vector will correct coastlines, bring more lakes, rivers, roads but no elevation (default rounded mesh) and no enhanced airports. The elevation problem with some airports is overblown and mainly comes, not from Vector, but from issues between the way the FS engine inserts airports in any mesh and third party meshes.

If you want to fly mainly Alaska and don't want to buy both Vector and SAK, get the SAK region. When you are out of SAK, your OpenLC NA will take over and that will be enough for Artic Alaska. The only issue you may have  is in the Aleutians, with some coastlines. Not a big deal. 

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Thanks to you all for replying. I've now got to decide! Not sure which way I'll go yet though, although I'm leaning towards the full South Alaska at the moment.

Intel I7-4770 3.4Ghz
16 Gb RAM
nVidia GTX770 2Gb
Windows 8.1 64 bit
P3D 4.4/3.4 FSX SE

Thanks to you all for replying. I've now got to decide! Not sure which way I'll go yet though, although I'm leaning towards the full South Alaska at the moment.

I purchased vector, but removed it and ended up with Ultimate Terrain X and I am  much happier for it. Def. get South alaska