Sign in to follow this  
flyinpilot212121

Help needed, think my computer is fried!

Good day everyone,

so last night I decide to make a flight from Toronto to Newark using the ifly 737.

so I start up fs9 and active sky like I have a thousand times before, siting on the ramp enjoying the views my computer just shuts down, I think nothing of it other than a simple crash, I reboot the computer and this is where things go down hill...

upon restarting the computer, the green power light goes on, however nothing comes up on the screen and the red "thinking light" on the tower doesn't flash or anything, keeping in mind the green power light on the tower is on, but nothing is happening. Now with this new problem, sometimes it takes three pushes of the power button to get the green power light on, but as I said I don't get anything else happening...

any ideas, is my computer done for?

I didn't install any new hardware in the last few months nor did I do anything different, I did install a new video card about 3 months ago but there were no issues as I have been using the computer every other day since then without any issues.

Any insight or tips would be appreciated.

thanks

system is an i5 660 3.2 ghz, 8 gb ram and a gtx 660 2 gb video card

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

1) remove RAM, reboot, see if you hear any beeping sounds.

if yes,

The Motherboard is working , RAM could be loose or faulty, replace one stick of memory at a time and see which stick causes the PC not to boot.

Repeat the same operation with the graphics card.

2) If no beeps when GPU or RAM is removed, then Motherboard is faulty.

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

thanks for your reply...

something weird has happened, 12 hours after leaving it off I reboot and it started up again!!

it's still a little worrisome though, any takes on that??

thanks again.

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

I'd say the power supply is on its way out. You've already reported having issues with the computer being reluctant to turn on at times, and it is several years old.

Cheers!

• Upvote 1

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

thanks again,

I just put a new power supply when I upgraded the video card about 3 months ago as my older power supply wasn't strong enough to power up the video card...

I'm going to set aside some cash in my monthly budget to eventually upgrade to a new computer, however that won't he for a while so I'd like to limp this computer for a while longer with minimum investment if possible.

It could also be your CPU. Ensure you have enough thermal paste on the CPU to avoid over-heating.

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

It could also be something simple like your keyboard connection. I have a keyboard with a USB connector. But, I still use the PS2 port with an adaptor. Sometimes the PC hangs on start-up and doesn't beep or turn the screen on. So I fiddle with the connector and all is ok.

It could also be something simple like your keyboard connection. I have a keyboard with a USB connector. But, I still use the PS2 port with an adaptor. Sometimes the PC hangs on start-up and doesn't beep or turn the screen on. So I fiddle with the connector and all is ok.

you mention that and recently in the last month or so I changed my keyboard and mouse to a wireless setup, the keyboard came from a Dr's office so I have no idea how old it could be, and the mouse is a cheap dollar store wireless mouse, maybe for Jokes I'll put my original ones I use been using for the last few years to see.

It could also be your CPU. Ensure you have enough thermal paste on the CPU to avoid over-heating.

I'd try it, but I think that may he above my computer knowledge to pull the cpu out...maybe a research on Google and YouTube is in order, and if I feel brave enough I may try it.

thanks

You can get a Power Supply Tester on ebay for about $6.00 ! Excellent  investment, and removes all the doubt ! - Johnman

When you changed your PSU did you remove all the old cables and use the ones that came with the new unit?

When you changed your PSU did you remove all the old cables and use the ones that came with the new unit?

Hi,

Yes I did use the cables that came with the power supply unit, I had to because the old cables with the psu didn't have the right connector for the video card.

You can get a Power Supply Tester on ebay for about $6.00 ! Excellent  investment, and removes all the doubt ! - Johnman

I'll take a look, could be useful.

I also downloaded a program to check cpu, gpu temps along with fan speeds, everything seems to he running at decent numbers, however not sure how accurate these programs are.

Giving the CYYZ-KEWR flight another go, half way through everything seems to be going good, very very odd, it's still bothering me though...time will tell I guess.

Intermittent issue like this can be something as simple as lose connections. In addition, I had a similar issue a few years ago, that turned out to be an ATX extension cable that had pins that were lose and arching. Look for lose connections, arching on the pins etc.

Check everything, CPU temp under load, GPU temp, check for failed fans.

Like Luke I was thinking PSU too. But if it's new, less likely but still not impossible.

PSU testers are great, but do bear in mind they aren't definitive, as they don't test the PSU under load. 

Trail and error is the order of the day. If you have spare kit you can swap out for all the better. 

Monitor your temps. 

Use a program called CPUID - it will monitor all temps and voltages in your system. 

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

The bathtub curve says it all really.

I have to say, the one component that has failed the most for me over the years is the PSU.

Motherboard once, RAM once, ATX extension cable once, SATA cable once PSU's three times I recall.