Sign in to follow this  
wde12

Intro Manual

Disclaimer: I thought about originally sending this to Kyle but figured I might as well throw it out on the board. And the standard disclaimer: if this has been discussed in a prior post, video, etc. that I didn't see in a search, my apologies - please point me in that direction.

So, I was just rewatching parts of Kyle's v3 preview video and something came to mind: with the 777, I learned a ton through the Intro manual. As many of us have seen, Kyle and others have pointed out countless times that many 777 questions are those that could be answered had that person read the Intro. I imagine this will be the same case with the 744. 

I understand why this happens. We're all guilty to some extent. The Intro manual is dense. In addition, and if I am not mistaken, it can only be accessed through the Ops Center. Meaning, you had to have bought the product to access the Intro manual. At that point, you finally have a new plane that you've waited years for and most of people aren't going to give the Intro manual the attention it deserves. 

Now, I realize that there are licensing issues with the manuals. And this post also assumes that (1) there will be an Intro manual and (2) they will only be available through the Ops Center. I also remember that the 777 Intro material was actually stuff that was suggested or learned by the Beta team. So, there's also a "cart before the horse" issue.

All this in consideration, has PMDG given any thought to releasing the Intro manual prior to the actual 747 release? Is this doable given the challenges above? Even if it's just a matter of days, the anticipation alone would likely drive many future users to the manual. I know I sure would read it in depth and I don't think I'd be alone.

• Upvote 1

it can only be accessed through the Ops Center

Should be in the Start Menu, and also directly browsable if you want to browse all the way into your sim folder.

All this in consideration, has PMDG given any thought to releasing the Intro manual prior to the actual 747 release?

With the possibility that minor things can change all the way to RTM, I don't see this is a viable option. The Intro is one of the last things we do to make sure we aren't editing it a ton right before release.

Kyle Rodgers

All this in consideration, has PMDG given any thought to releasing the Intro manual prior to the actual 747 release? Is this doable given the challenges above? Even if it's just a matter of days, the anticipation alone would likely drive many future users to the manual. I know I sure would read it in depth and I don't think I'd be alone.

Hi William,

Just want to point out that there is quite a lot of documentation and tutorial information on the previous PMDG 747 available on the downloads section of the PMDG web site.  Of course it is likely to be dated and not to cover many of the features of the upcoming new release.  But I would guess that there will be a good deal of carryover.  Might not be a bad place to start while awaiting the new release and documentation.

Mike

PS: This may be for the FS9 version, but I think it would still be helpful.

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Of course it is likely to be dated and not to cover many of the features of the upcoming new release.  But I would guess that there will be a good deal of carryover.  Might not be a bad place to start while awaiting the new release and documentation.

A lot of it is technique-based stuff for the 744, and less to do with the features of the specific product. I'd imagine that, with very rare exception, it would all carry over.

Kyle Rodgers

Speaking of manuals and the 744....

Is there any possibility of PMDG selling manuals once again? I'd like to get hold of the 744 QRH.

Thanks,

Dave