Sign in to follow this  
Gregg_Seipp

What do you guys use for ATC chatter?

I apologize for asking this question but I get mixed up switching back and forth between PF3 and ProATC and as a result I can't remember which app has which options. In PF3 isn't some of the ATC chatter just completely fake, which tends to get repetitive? The airlines that are used for adding the synthetic chatter are often geographic anomalies and their pilots have geographicly inappropriate accents. Embedded in this chatter is real communication with AI aircraft.

ProATC has real ATC chatter which can be set corrisponding to the country that you are currently flying over. PATC also talks to the AI Aircraft you have installed into your sim. Authentic ATC (can be set by country from the DATA tab within PATC) available is DE, BE, CH, FR, UK, ES, NL. I have just added NOR, IRE and RUS.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

I apologize for asking this question but I get mixed up switching back and forth between PF3 and ProATC and as a result I can't remember which app has which options. In PF3 isn't some of the ATC chatter just completely fake, which tends to get repetitive? The airlines that are used for adding the synthetic chatter are often geographic anomalies and their pilots have geographicly inappropriate accents. Embedded in this chatter is real communication with AI aircraft.

PF3 uses communication between ATc and the AI aircraft. They talk to each other regarding headings and altitude. You can see which aircraft PF3 is talking to if you use a moving map like  Plan G.  The chatter in Pro ATC, is pre recorded by a 3rd party vendor ( that is what I used) and randomly plays atc chatter from actual ATC transmissions, over and over. Has nothing to do with what AI are doing. You realize after awhile that you are hearing the same files over and over, although there are many of them. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

Bob,

I just checked. When communicating with anything but Centers, PF3 uses phonetic phrasing with nearby AI aircraft on that frequency. But when communicating with a Center, except for the user aircraft, everything else heard seems prerecorded. I'll have to compare it ProATC when I get a chance.

Jay

Hi Bob, actually you get both in ProATC, the authentic ATC backround, which as I said, is dependent on the country you are flying over (and, only works if the user sets it from within PATC) and the live ATC, which is the ProATC ATC talking to all the AI aircraft in your area. I have many videos showing this in action.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

Bob,

I just checked. When communicating with anything but Centers, PF3 uses phonetic phrasing with nearby AI aircraft on that frequency. But when communicating with a Center, except for the user aircraft, everything else heard seems prerecorded. I'll have to compare it ProATC when I get a chance.

Jay

There is absolutely no pre-recorded chatter in PF3. All of it is made up on the fly according to the AI. Sometimes you may hear a phonetic call sign because the AI isn't set up properly. Or that is the real registration. PF3 has 1,083 callsigns plus you can make up your own. You will never hear a call sign made up of alphanumeric characters as you do in proatc. Which is wholly unreal. Never done in real life.

Bob,

Jay

No pre recorded ATC in PF3. 

Hi Bob, actually you get both in ProATC, the authentic ATC backround, which as I said, is dependent on the country you are flying over (and, only works if the user sets it from within PATC) and the live ATC, which is the ProATC ATC talking to all the AI aircraft in your area. I have many videos showing this in action.

Been quite awhile since I switched to PF3, so I guess I forgot.  

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

I pull up LiveATC on my phone and play it through a bluetooth speaker.  I can change to applicable sectors as I fly.  Works great for me, I don't care much about chatter between my AI aircraft...

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

Maybe prerecorded is the wrong word. It's not real ATC chatter that's been recorded. It's synthetic chatter from nonexistent aircraft that is created from the existing voice sets.

Maybe prerecorded is the wrong word. It's not real ATC chatter that's been recorded. It's synthetic chatter from nonexistent aircraft that is created from the existing voice sets.

Except the a/c exist in PF3 they are the AI and can be seen on your TCAS. So it's much closer to reality than hearing canned chatter.

Canned chatter was real the day it was recorded but bears no relation at all to aircraft around you which is vitally important for yours and their safety. As said before your requirement as crew is to maintain a listening watch in order to picture what is happening around you. Real ATC is absolutely no way "background" and you would fail your RT exam (which fails your bid to become a pilot in the UK) if you didn't listen.

I can't imagine paying for a prodcut to provide ATC chatter.

Frankly LiveATC provides real chatter for free and is live and not prerocorded stuff. Makes for some realistic background noise if that's all that's needed.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

The addon LAAP automates LiveATC streams and changes the stream to match your COM1 frequency. But even LAAP is lost as it will not do so for the vast majority of Center frequencies. The reason for this is it relies on Pete Dowson's Makerunways to generate its communications database. Pete's utility is essentially complete when it comes to Unicom, Clearance, Ground, Tower, Approach and Departure frequencies since these are all tied to individual airports in both FSX and P3d. On the other hand, Control frequencies are for the most part not captured by Makerunways, because they reside in a separate boundary BGL file in the sim.The Center boundary file is bvcf.bgl and is located at <main sim folder>\Scenery\World\scenery:

http://forum.simflight.com/topic/81778-artcc-comm-frequencies/

I'm sorry that I posed my original question because as others have pointed out, there are other ways to make the experience more realistic. Besides, Except for UT2, the other AI Traffic apps (WOAI, My Traffic 6, Traffic 360) and the default AI traffic use BGL files. Those AI aircraft do not follow high altitude jetways. One can make them do so with AI Controller, but when AI Controller is managing an AI aircraft, one can't hear anything from it anyway.

Honestly, I just like the Aerosoft A320 model of chatter.  It's just noise that you hear.  You generally have very little interaction with other airplanes anyway.  The A320 model just changes whether you're on the ground or in the air.  Pretty simple.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

One can make them do so with AI Controller, but when AI Controller is managing an AI aircraft, one can't hear anything from it anyway.

The PF3 developer and the developer of AI Controller have been in contact.  What may come of that is at the moment up in the air "pun". But I see no reason why the two cannot be made to work together more than they already do now.

Except the a/c exist in PF3 they are the AI and can be seen on your TCAS. So it's much closer to reality than hearing canned chatter.

Canned chatter was real the day it was recorded but bears no relation at all to aircraft around you which is vitally important for yours and their safety. As said before your requirement as crew is to maintain a listening watch in order to picture what is happening around you. Real ATC is absolutely no way "background" and you would fail your RT exam (which fails your bid to become a pilot in the UK) if you didn't listen.

PFE (not sure if it still is in  PF3) in addition to ATC of AI aircraft. If you run without AI, it has the ability to generate a virtual AI PFE ATC session. You get the ATC of virtual AI pertinent to the flight plan you are flying. The one issue is while it has filtering options to limit airlines to what would be realistic at an airport, enroute, it will use all airlines it knows about so you can get calls for a JetBlue Flight over France, or an EasyJet flight over Chicago. Still it's does a pretty good job. 

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d