Sign in to follow this  
FlyIce

ortho4xp: no autogen and roads

I just made my first two ortho4xp tiles to cover Pittsburgh area at ZL19 (yes I was greedy and ended up downloading 120GB sth in total).

The photo images were drop dead gorgeous in XP11. However, I got absolutely no autogens and roads. I did get buildings on airports and custom buildings by a freeware Pittsburgh scenery. I made sure the tiles were at the bottom of package.ini list. 

What I did in Ortho4xp (v120) was pretty simple. I didn't change anything since I knew very little. I just clicked the "Earth Tile Map"  at the very top of main window and it opened a "Tile Collection" map view. I clicked two tiles covering Pittsburgh and hit the "Batch Build" and that is it. 

Could it be that I somehow didn't get the OSM data into the tiles? I checked OSM maps and there are some data around Pittsburgh area so if OSM works I assume that I should at least see some roads and autogen buildings on the ground?

Again, the photographic textures are extremely beautiful. Jaw dropping quality. I just want to add those autogens and roads back.

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

You have to use the overlay function in Ortho4XP for roads and autogen and set  the directory to your global scenery folder. Or you can use a W2XP overlay or something.

And then put the overlay file in your custom scenery folder

Marcel

Thanks a lot for the tips. How to do build the overlay file? Do I have to download the those photo images again? I really hope not. I feel guilty to waste Bing another 120GB bandwidth. 

Sorry for these naive questions. Really new to this ortho4xp thing. 

Have a look at the main screen. At the bottom left there is the option build overlays. Just point it to main XP11 Global scenery directory and choose the proper tile on top of the menus. It will then build the overlay of the stock XP11 data.

Hans

yes, found it. Will give it a try. Many thanks!

Just to confirm it works. The only problem is that XP11 is having a hard time to handle so much autogens plus high resolution texture due to 12GB RAM/4GB VRAM limit on my PC.

So far I'm so impressed by XP11. More than halfway to a sim paradise..

Sorry to hijack this topic but I'm having this issue also. Contrary to Yang, I do not get it to work. Only satelite image and mesh is showing up. No roads, cars, houses, trees,...

Build the entire island of Corsica (5 tiles) with the following settings (step 1; 2; 2.5; 3 and then build overlay):

post-100554-0-20915600-1482096043.jpg

This is my scenery pack:

post-100554-0-54960600-1482096105.jpg

And this is how it looks like in the sim:

post-100554-0-83421400-1482096124.jpg

Regards,

Vital Vanbeginne

I don't see the overlay in your scenery.cfg. Without it, there won't be any stock OSM data. 

Hans

Copy the yOrtho4XP_Overlays folder from the Ortho4XP folder to your custom scenery folder and place it above the zOrtho[...] files in the scenery_packs.ini.

Or better, make that a link, and keep the original in the Ortho4XP folder, then if you make changes with Ortho4XP, it shows up immediately in the SIM.

I did the same with the zOrtho4XP_xxx directories.

There are already several threads dealing with how to create simbolic links.

You don't even need bother with creating symbolic links if you are not comfortable doing that. Just drag a shortcut of the scenery folder to your X-Plane custom scenery folder.

I was unaware that the OSM data was stored separatly from the ortho photoreal tiles. It was my understanding that OSM data was provided inside the tile folder. Thanks for the quick responses.

I made a symbolic link, fired up X-Plane and now I need a new videocard... lol

post-100554-0-90465900-1482098855.jpg

Regards,

Vital Vanbeginne

I was also confused as to why I didn't get any roads, cars, autogen on top of my photoscenery created with Ortho4XP. Even though I did do the last step which is the overlay. Where is that file or folder located? Is it outside of the tiles folder? So if I do the last step which is build the overlay, it will use the default road, autogen from XP11 right? Usually how big is the overlay folder thats created by Ortho4XP? Currently I am using the one from simheaven w2xpane net file which is about 1.5GB, but I think that covers all of America. I'm assuming the one created by Ortho4XP would be much smaller since you're working on 1 tile.

Flyce, can you please post pics of ZL19 photo scenery, whats the highest you can go regarding ZL?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

The overlay folder is small, it just uses the default dsf files. It is put into a folder called yOrtho4XP_Overlays. With that y prefix it's automatically put in the right position in the scenery.cfg.

ZL19 is bit of an overkill though  :nea:

Hans

So if I do the last step which is build the overlay, it will use the default road, autogen from XP11 right?

Yes :)

Where is that file or folder located?

Here:

post-100554-0-21615600-1482103971.jpg

Edited by vesalius
  • Upvote 1

Regards,

Vital Vanbeginne