Sign in to follow this  
Berike

P3D V3.4

The AVSIM CTD Guide provides probable causes and possible fixes for the G2D.dll error (as collection from FS websites around the Internet).

Best regards,

Jim

I know, I read it and my causes are not them:

G2D.dll - This module handles plain text messages, like the frame rate counter and those other plain text messages you see periodically while running any simulator and the plain text words in the respective Menu, like the words Options, View, etc. There may be something corrupted in your dll.xml which loads menu items. Possible fixes –
 Rebuild the sim’s config, as appropriate (moving or renaming the config and then restarting the application).
I have a fresh install of P3D v3.4 hotfix 2
 Uninstall/reinstall video card drivers or go back to previous version. Make sure drivers are not ‘beta’.
Done and didn't work, used DDU tool (Display Driver Uninstaller)
 Do not disable ORBX/FTX, GEX, and/or UTX entries via the scenery.cfg. Use the appropriate interface utility to enable/disable features in these programs.
Already tried before installing ORBX sceneries.
 Move the dll.xml to a temporary folder and see if this fixes the problem. If so, there is a module in the dll.xml that is causing the problem.
already tried before the P3D v3.4 fresh install, didn't work and now I have fresh install of P3D v3.4

Everything related to CTD Guide I already did it and I still have the same issue.

I have seen this error a lot since P3D.  It happened occasionally with FSX.  I was thinking it might be the updates/fixes to P3D but only a few are getting the error.  So it has to be the individual installation of P3D.  Sorry I could not find a fix.  I'm in the process of building a new system and will have to install Windows 10 as the i7 7700K requires it so I might be running into these problems soon myself.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Not a problem Jim, thank you for your support so far!

I just installed a Hotfix driver from NVIDIA, the 376.60 and will test soon!

And we're in the same boat, I'm about to change my system to Kaby Lake.

I have seen this error a lot since P3D.  It happened occasionally with FSX.  I was thinking it might be the updates/fixes to P3D but only a few are getting the error.  So it has to be the individual installation of P3D.  Sorry I could not find a fix.  I'm in the process of building a new system and will have to install Windows 10 as the i7 7700K requires it so I might be running into these problems soon myself.

Best regards,

Jim

Great news!

I'm not having crashes anymore, at least so far I did 3 flights around 1h30 each.

My i7 7700k arrived and I already overclocked it to 5ghz with 1.28V, looks like a great chip!

For the test I didn't format the OS, just replaced the drivers, to make sure the rig was almost the same apart from CPU, Mobo and memory.

Then I installed my i7 3770k back and the crash happened and started to dig more about it and found my chip with one core loading in P3D the voltage was going up to 1.4V, the core clocked down and the crash happened.

My mobo was set to 1.25V for 4.6Ghz overclock on 3770k chip, but somehow P3D load made the voltage increase and I found one setting that allowed the voltage to go up to 1.42, I set to be manual e offset only up to 1.25, went back to P3D and the crash was gone.

Moving back to my new rig, at least I found the cause of my crash :)

And about performance, I moved from 25 - 35 fps to 40-45

My i7 7700k arrived and I already overclocked it to 5ghz with 1.28V, looks like a great chip!

It is a great chip!  I think you made a brilliant move upgrading from the 3770K to the 7700K.  I just went from 4770K to 7700K but I see improvements already and I still have not completed insalling everything. To hit an overclock at 4.5GHz by just telling the BIOS to give you the optimized default settings is awesome.  I installed ASUS Suite III and it automatically overclocked me to 5.0GHz and it thinks I can do more (see my specs in my signature).  My overclock is at 19% above the default. To think back in 2010 I could overclock my system to 5.0GHz automatically would have been mind-boogling!

But the computer experts say there are no major gains from the i7 6800K except for the fact the i7 7700K is sitting at 4.2GHz when you first turn it on and then 4.5GHz when you use the optimized defaults and most can only get a measly 4.8GHz overclock.  :smile:

In regards to FPS, I was way over 50 fps until I installed the PMDG 777/737 and I was starting to see the 40's in the FPS counter.  I just install MyTrafficProfessional and I'm now in the 20's some of the time but mostly over 30.  There is no fix for that.  An optimized or professionally developed program for modern systems is the only solution.  I am only using 30% AI and it is disappointing.  The Germans can do better!!  But I still like the program...

Glad your crashes were fixed!!

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

It is a great chip!  I think you made a brilliant move upgrading from the 3770K to the 7700K.  I just went from 4770K to 7700K but I see improvements already and I still have not completed insalling everything. To hit an overclock at 4.5GHz by just telling the BIOS to give you the optimized default settings is awesome.  I installed ASUS Suite III and it automatically overclocked me to 5.0GHz and it thinks I can do more (see my specs in my signature).  My overclock is at 19% above the default. To think back in 2010 I could overclock my system to 5.0GHz automatically would have been mind-boogling!

But the computer experts say there are no major gains from the i7 6800K except for the fact the i7 7700K is sitting at 4.2GHz when you first turn it on and then 4.5GHz when you use the optimized defaults and most can only get a measly 4.8GHz overclock.  :smile:

In regards to FPS, I was way over 50 fps until I installed the PMDG 777/737 and I was starting to see the 40's in the FPS counter.  I just install MyTrafficProfessional and I'm now in the 20's some of the time but mostly over 30.  There is no fix for that.  An optimized or professionally developed program for modern systems is the only solution.  I am only using 30% AI and it is disappointing.  The Germans can do better!!  But I still like the program...

Glad your crashes were fixed!!

Best regards,

Jim

So, Jim, you're saying that in terms of P3D (FPS, stutters, etc) the move from the 4770K to the 7700K didn't improve things substantially, is that right?!

Best regards,

Wanthuyr Filho

Instagram: AeroTacto

That's incorrect.

Submit News to AVSIM

That's incorrect.

So I misunderstood when you said "there's no fix for that". Good to know anyway. I do have a 4770K aircooled running at 4.5 and wonder what the improvement would be with a 7700K.

Best regards,

Wanthuyr Filho

So I misunderstood when you said "there's no fix for that". Good to know anyway. I do have a 4770K aircooled running at 4.5 and wonder what the improvement would be with a 7700K.

The biggest difference is stability.  Having tried to overclock my 'old' air-cooled 4770K to 4.5GHz several times and thinking I was successful, I in fact was not successful because, 30, 60, or 90 days later I would get a StackHash or an ntdll.dll error and lowering the clock to 4.2GHz or returning to the optimized default (3.8GHz) always fixed this issue.  With the water-cooled i7 7770K cpu, it is sitting at 4.2GHz right out of the box.  Optimized default is 4.5GHz and, with ASUS Suite III, it was able to overclock to 5.0GHz automatically.  I didn't have to touch nothing.  So far very stable but time will only tell.  So, if you are an overclocker, and would like to be overclocked at 4.5GHz with optimized default settings, then the CPU is for you.  If you want to play with periodic stability issues with overclocking the 4770K, then you would want to stay with your current system.

As far as FPS/VAS usage, I have not seen that much difference and doubt I will ever see any improvements. As I stated above, AI is the difference, at least for me in regards to FPS.  VAS usage, negative impact or I haven't seen it yet.  P3D manages VAS well if properly configured.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

Thanks Jim for such a complete information. I'm running at the current clock for quite a few months already and I consider it stable, provided the room temperature doesn't get past 27 degrees Celsius (as per a thermometer installed nearby my rig), otherwise I may get a BSoD or have to turn aircond on. As a matter of fact I deeply suspect the temperature issue is related to the North Bridge stuff (which I have overclocked as well), as the fans never get too rapid. Anyway I plan to keep things like this and don't plan to change hardware anytime soon.

BTW: AI Traffic kills my frame rate as well, that's why I keep it at 1% (just aircraft) and also limit the absolute number down to 20. It's good enough not to give the impression of solitude. :-)

Best regards,

Wanthuyr Filho

Hi Wanthuyr,

I had no reason to upgrade other than I like to tinker with new technology.  Try to keep in front of the pack.  It is a great learning experience building new systems and playing with new operating systems. 

Interesting theory regarding your suggestion that higher temps around your computer causes BSOD's.  I would guess that surrounding temps would have to be cooler in order to provide cooler air inside the compartment so, in certain areas, I would suspect that might be very true.  80 degrees F is hot not only for the computer area and inside the system but also very uncomfortable for humans. 

Thanks for the confirmation that AI affects fps.  I have seen it mostly in P3D and not in FSX.  Autogen is also a fps killer if set too high in P3D.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

Hi Wanthuyr,

I had no reason to upgrade other than I like to tinker with new technology.  Try to keep in front of the pack.  It is a great learning experience building new systems and playing with new operating systems. 

Interesting theory regarding your suggestion that higher temps around your computer causes BSOD's.  I would guess that surrounding temps would have to be cooler in order to provide cooler air inside the compartment so, in certain areas, I would suspect that might be very true.  80 degrees F is hot not only for the computer area and inside the system but also very uncomfortable for humans. 

Thanks for the confirmation that AI affects fps.  I have seen it mostly in P3D and not in FSX.  Autogen is also a fps killer if set too high in P3D.

Best regards,

Jim

Now, if you can imagine that I live in Rio de Janeiro and in the summer (right now in this case) it's not rare to get temps of 105 degrees F (or more) by the end of the day!

Regarding AI and FPS, so true! I had the same experience, as when I used FSX the AI traffic did not impose such a high burden to the system's performance, and I used a lot more of AI. As for autogen I'm currently using it in Normal, the same when used FSX, and it seems to be fine. To tell you the truth the VAS stuff scares me the most nowadays.

Best regards,

Wanthuyr Filho

To tell you the truth the VAS stuff scares me the most nowadays.

VAS issues have been around since FSX was released in 2006.  The Windows OS just will not allow enough space for FSX or P3D and all of the textures rendered.  When FSX/P3D are upgraded to 64 bit, we will have around 8 TB's of space instead of just 4 GB's. 

Submit News to AVSIM