Sign in to follow this  
Rocky_53

Massive hit on performance

This seems like an odd one and rather unsure what to make of it. Yesterday I was on a 45 minute flight from Redding in Nocal across to Lake Tahoe in my A2A Cherokee. I mostly fly with AS16 and this was no exception. The flight plan was loaded both into the FSX-SE and automatically into AS, the flight went well for the first fifteen minutes, after which I switched on AP and left the sim for about 15 minutes. On my return, I noticed the fps had dropped massively from 30+ down to a stuttering of 20 or less. What's more, there were increasing blurries making an appearance, to a point on landing when the entire scenery was a blur and the fps had dropped to well below 15. I looked at process explorer to see if something had 'kicked in' in the background, but couldn't find anything. However, when I switched off AS, I found it to be the culprit, as the frames went back up to 30 and the scenery lost all the blurries. Has anyone got any ideas what might have happened?

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

do you have ASCA too? There was a problem with update 6194. If you installed it, you need to uninstall and reinstall 6195 full version(ASCA only, AS16 is still 6194)

do you have ASCA too? There was a problem with update 6194. If you installed it, you need to uninstall and reinstall 6195 full version(ASCA only, AS16 is still 6194)

Ah no, I don't have cloud art installed, as I use REX.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke

edit...

Howard

To many things could cause this.

Does not necessarily mean that AS16 is the culprit, it could be just overload - you removed one factor and FPS went back. 

FSX or P3D? Some ORBX stuff installed? I had a fps hit yesterday after installing ORBX OpenLC update and ASCA + Nvidia driver update, so i don't know what was causing this and if that is related. I selected DXT textures in ASCA and reinstalled ORBX libraries, reboot, and that seems to fixed it. 

If this still happens, i would look at CPU usage by processes, what GPU is doing and HDD / SSD performance.

What helped me a lot with scenery loading  - in scenery config editor, there is a option(under "actions" menu) to "reset area and layer numbers and reorder the file" + changing Windows Update service from automatic to manual start

What are your AA settings?  Running any type of SGSS in combination with ASN/AS2016 in high cloud density weather is asking for FPS trouble.

Guys, with respect, your suggestions are very much appreciated but are unrealistic. We are not talking about a few stutters or fps, we are talking of  a massive hit on performance where the sim becomes unflyable, with cpu resources hitting 100%! I am in contact with guys at AS, so I hope to have a resolution soon. I will post my findings. Thanks again for your suggestions, appreciated.

Howard

Hi Howard,

Please let us know.  My personal thoughts is that the rendering of complex clouds adds a lot more 'scenery' to where you are.  Imagine if you had a fairly complex city above your head in the sim...might be like that.  One thing I do, sometimes, is reduce the layers in AS to 1 (not as bad as you think)...so I don't have 2+ cities up there and something that can be done on the fly without pausing the sim.  When I'm at a tough airport, I'll reduce coverage down to 60% in P3D settings.  Again, not as bad as you think.  One or the other setting at night is even better since you can't really see the clouds as much.  I'd think the AS folks might be able to improve, at least, the stratus clouds performance since they're smooth and a long thick, relatively boring layer.  I know there are some challenges there with 'cells' but, perhaps there's a way.  Often, when flying in UK, those stratus clouds are all over the place and it would help when flying at tough places like Heathrow and, a little further away, Amsterdam.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Howard - I've had a similar thing happen to me but I don't even have As16/ASCA. I was running a saved flight at the time.

Is it possible that Windows was updating in the background?

There may be just an issue with not providing human input to the sim for too long and Windows decides it can lower the priority while it does what it thinks is more important.

EDIT: actually, since I don't even have active sky, im not sure what im doing posting here... it could be AS. I have no idea. Mrry Christmas, howard!

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

Hi Howard,

Please let us know.  My personal thoughts is that the rendering of complex clouds adds a lot more 'scenery' to where you are.  Imagine if you had a fairly complex city above your head in the sim...might be like that.  One thing I do, sometimes, is reduce the layers in AS to 1 (not as bad as you think)...so I don't have 2+ cities up there and something that can be done on the fly without pausing the sim.  When I'm at a tough airport, I'll reduce coverage down to 60% in P3D settings.  Again, not as bad as you think.  One or the other setting at night is even better since you can't really see the clouds as much.  I'd think the AS folks might be able to improve, at least, the stratus clouds performance since they're smooth and a long thick, relatively boring layer.  I know there are some challenges there with 'cells' but, perhaps there's a way.  Often, when flying in UK, those stratus clouds are all over the place and it would help when flying at tough places like Heathrow and, a little further away, Amsterdam.

Hi Gregg, sure, I hear what you're saying, just that I have never experienced anything like this before, only since moving to FSX-SE.

Howard - I've had a similar thing happen to me but I don't even have As16/ASCA. I was running a saved flight at the time.Is it possible that Windows was updating in the background?There may be just an issue with not providing human input to the sim for too long and Windows decides it can lower the priority while it does what it thinks is more important.EDIT: actually, since I don't even have active sky, im not sure what im doing posting here... it could be AS. I have no idea. Mrry Christmas, howard!

Hi Dave, sure, normally the kind of resource hog running in the background with this kind of hit would be something like Windows update. However, I have Windows update, Acronis update in fact all updates switched off, as I have with the firewall and AV.

Howard

Hi Dave, sure, normally the kind of resource hog running in the background with this kind of hit would be something like Windows update. However, I have Windows update, Acronis update in fact all updates switched off, as I have with the firewall and AV.

Simply turning off Windows Update isn't always enough to stop the service associated with it (wauaserv) from running in the background.  At least with Win 7, some significant changes were made in Oct 2016 which altered the way it operates...I found the service will run in the background for hours if not days, even with automatic windows updates set to "never" in the control panel.  When running, it is using enough CPU that it will slow the sim way down, cause blurries etc.  Leave the PC in an idle state for ~30 min, then look at the CPU utilization in the performance tab in task manager...if you see a lot of activity across the cores when it should be idle, open the resource monitor, CPU tab, and look for wauaserv in the services area...if it's using over 2-3% of your CPU (typically 12-25% when it runs on a quad core machine) then you have this issue.  I set the service to stop if the computer ceases to be idle in the task scheduler -> conditions tab, and that seems to have fixed it for now.

When FSX is running, it saturates one core of the computer, leaves another for housekeeping, and uses the rest as needed for texture loading.  Those cores are where the update service will run under those conditions, so when terrain/texture loading threads are spawned, they are competing and being swapped with the windows update threads, which slows terrain and texture handing way down and blurries and frame rate hits can result.

Regards

• Upvote 2

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

One thing I noticed with AS16 (at least the P3D version) is that it defaults to the old ASN "enhanced overcast" setting so if the weather is overcast, it pumps a *ton* of clouds into the sim. If you're using a high res cloud texture, the associated cloud shadows will absolutely *kill* your framerate. Personally I solved it by switching to a lower-res cloud texture (REX Soft Clouds) but you can also try setting the global shadow quality to a lower setting, or modify the cloud shadow texture size setting in prepar3d.cfg to something lower like 256.

edit: Sorry, I missed you were in FSX. Still, it could be related to cloud number/draw distance and switching cloud textures might help you.

Simply turning off Windows Update isn't always enough to stop the service associated with it (wauaserv) from running in the background.  At least with Win 7, some significant changes were made in Oct 2016 which altered the way it operates...I found the service will run in the background for hours if not days, even with automatic windows updates set to "never" in the control panel.  When running, it is using enough CPU that it will slow the sim way down, cause blurries etc.  Leave the PC in an idle state for ~30 min, then look at the CPU utilization in the performance tab in task manager...if you see a lot of activity across the cores when it should be idle, open the resource monitor, CPU tab, and look for wauaserv in the services area...if it's using over 2-3% of your CPU (typically 12-25% when it runs on a quad core machine) then you have this issue.  I set the service to stop if the computer ceases to be idle in the task scheduler -> conditions tab, and that seems to have fixed it for now.

When FSX is running, it saturates one core of the computer, leaves another for housekeeping, and uses the rest as needed for texture loading.  Those cores are where the update service will run under those conditions, so when terrain/texture loading threads are spawned, they are competing and being swapped with the windows update threads, which slows terrain and texture handing way down and blurries and frame rate hits can result.

Regards

Very interesting Bob. But how does anyone explain the second I stopped AS, then the 100% CPU useage immediately drops back down to about 25%?

Howard

Limit as16 via affinity in task manager to only one core (last one). ASN and AS16 are using significant cpu resources after some time. I followed cpu usage on as16 via task manager and saw that the usage is 2-3% on the start of the flight and it can go over 20-25% after an hour of flight, lowering fps and inducing stutters.

• Upvote 1

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

Very interesting Bob. But how does anyone explain the second I stopped AS, then the 100% CPU useage immediately drops back down to about 25%?

It doesn't necessarily...just wanted to make it clear that just because you have Windows Update "switched off" does not guarantee it's really not still churning away in the background.  Lots of folks getting surprised by this one lately.

I've concluded that AS16 is a really good candidate for use on a secondary networked PC, along with most/all of the ATC add-ons.

Cheers

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case