Hello everyone,

I wonder if I could get somebody's opinion on something. I was looking at getting the intel i7 6700k cpu to upgrade my desktop which is now extremely old and really struggles running fsx even on low settings. The problem is the i7 6700k is quite expensive and I can't find it bundled with a motherboard and don't really feel like having to attach it myself and having to find the right motherboard.

However I managed to find a upgrade kit which includes the  intel i7 6700 already on a motherboard which also comes with 8gb of ddr4 ram. I was wondering how well the i7 6700 can run fsx with addon aircraft such as Pmdg and Aerosoft and addon scenery such as UK2000 and Aerosoft? I am not too worried about having tons of autogen and I am mostly looking for around 30fps at least, would this cpu be able to do this?

Bailey

would this cpu be able to do this?

Make sure it is a i7 6700K so you can overclock it.

What is the motherboard ?

Make sure it is a i7 6700K so you can overclock it.

What is the motherboard ?

It isn't a 6700K because as I mentioned the K version is quite a bit more expensive. 

The motherboard is a MSI B150M

You won't be able to overclock if not the K version.

Why don't you go for the 6600K? Combined with the Asus Z170-A it should do you fine. Quite a few have gone that route and happy.

You will need DDR4 RAM too.

You won't be able to overclock if not the K version.

Why don't you go for the 6600K? Combined with the Asus Z170-A it should do you fine. Quite a few have gone that route and happy.

You will need DDR4 RAM too.

Hello Martin,

I have actually been doing some research and I am actually thinking the 6600K will be a very good idea. My only problem now is the I have a top mounted psu that outputs 250W. Looking around I am finding it very hard to find a psu that would support a top mount especially with regards to fan placement. 

Do you think 250W is enough considering that I am probably just going to use the intergrated intel hd 530 graphics in the cpu as admittedly that desktop still has the Nvidia 210 (I did say it was old). I am looking to get a new graphics card and better coolers but that will only be next year as I don't have a huge budget at the moment so I probably won't overclock the CPU just yet until I get a better graphics card and psu and coolers so I am hoping the 250W is enough?? After all at the moment all I am hoping for is decent frames with addon aircraft so my sim is at least 'flyable'

Bailey 

250W power supply? Nvidia 210? You're probably better off just replacing the whole thing. What year did you buy the desktop?

Cheers!

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

250W power supply? Nvidia 210? You're probably better off just replacing the whole thing. What year did you buy the desktop?

Cheers!

It must have been back in around 2009-2010 that I got the desktop.

I really wish I could replace the whole thing but unfortunately due to my budget I am going to have to do it bit by bit over a long period. Computers are expensive where I come from.

It must have been back in around 2009-2010 that I got the desktop. I really wish I could replace the whole thing but unfortunately due to my budget I am going to have to do it bit by bit over a long period. Computers are expensive where I come from.

If you're dealing with a 7 year old computer you can safely assume that everything needs replaced. Start with the case and PSU. You'll then replace the CPU and mobo (the intel HD530 integrated graphics should blow the 210 out of the water). Later you can get a better GPU and an SSD.

But I'd definitely start with the case and PSU, even if it doesn't provide instant results.

Cheers!

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

I am currently running the CPU in question with no scenery add ons but I do run ASN and with PMDG aircraft I run about 30-40 fps consistently.  

Thank you for everyone's help and opinions I am going to look around a bit longer and see what I can come up with.

Bailey