What do you think of these clouds?

Still experimenting of course.

YogO2ng.jpg

60zrjWd.jpg

dGhARdB.jpg

vPNrKEN.jpg

sQd6ESt.jpg

• Upvote 3

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

The clouds themselves look okay to me but the drawing distance is absolutely way too close. Spoils the entire idea of being there.

What do you mean the "drawing distance"? How far away are they visible?

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

The clouds have a light tint of pink-purple color, which doesn't look right for that time of day. Also the sky is pretty dark in those last two shots. 

FWIW, I'm using a calibrated graphics production monitor, but you can just load the shots into an image editor and see the color cast in the RGB values.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Regarding the drawing distance, here's a shot taken from 40.000 ft, I increased the cloud cover so it shows best:

bMFWbm5.jpg

• Upvote 3

To me they look better than in any of the commercial alternatives...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

To me they look better than in any of the commercial alternatives...

+1

What do you mean the "drawing distance"? How far away are they visible?

Yes. That new screenshot is better! ;) In the first shots I can see the empty sky and the horizon too clearly. I do see some obvious repetition (in that last short from your first post) but usually I don't notice that during flying anyway. (HDEv2 isn't perfect either!)

What clouds are these? Charles's and jcomm's post seem to imply these are clouds of your own? If so, I am in!!! ;)

What clouds are these? Charles's and jcomm's post seem to imply these are clouds of your own? If so, I am in!!! ;)

I do not own the cloud textures so I cannot share them, but the most difficult part is tuning the datarefs, rather than the cloud textures per se. If I succeed in making some good cloud textures by myself and having good results with the dataref, I will publish it.

This is an example of why I love the X-Plane community.

They generously give away fixes and all kinds of goodies for XP.

I hope you can sort it out and share it. TKS!

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

I think they look really good. I was always under the impression that the default cloud engine could do much better if Laminar would give the textures, the skycolors and the art controls some love. Your experiments (and others) clearly show it.

With more inside knowledge and maybe some tuning of the underlying engine it should be possible to make them look and behave really good.

I'm still hoping we'll see a real upgrade early in the XP11 run. I'm just not willing to spend 70 bucks for an weather/clouds add-on that I will not be 100% satisfied with (as they all work around too many limitations and seem to compromise in one or the other way).