Sign in to follow this  
forkedtail

How to solve the "error 11" problem in Capt. Sim add-ons?

I purchased the Capt. Sim C-130 on their site since the FS9 stuff is on sale.  I keep getting " error 11" flags and Norton 360 lights up with warnings.  I know I can get my money refunded, but the aircraft looks great in their supporting materials.  I'm running Windows 10 and have a bunch of payware installed without major problems.  Have any of you encountered this error code with CS product installation?

Yes, I encountered this problem after I upgraded my computer to Windows 7 64 bit and tried to reinstall the Captainsim C-130.  The Captainsim support is next to useless and I had to figure it out myself by searching for a solution on the net.  As I recall, to fix the infamous "error 11",  I had to set up a dummy folder for FS9 using the default installation folder path including putting a copy of the FS9.exe in the dummy FS9 root folder.  If you have FS9 anywhere other than in the original default folder path then you will get the error 11.  Once you have the dummy set up the Captainsim C-130 will install and then you can then copy the contents of the various folders and files over to where you have FS9 in your Windows 10 set up,  It should work fine.  I haven't used the C-130 much since but I seem to recall not everything worked under Windows 7 64 bit but nothing serious.  Perhaps others can add to this.

I told Captainsim about this solution and suggested they put it in their knowledge base but the response was "Windows 7 is not supported".  

Greg 

What would be needed for a dummy FS9 set up? A folder named FS2004 and inside that folder the FS9 exe file and maybe a aircraft folder, gauges folder, and effects folder?

The Captain Sim C-130 was one of my favorite military planes, but when I switched to Windows 7 I never was able to install in back on my computer.

All you should need is an empty Flight Simulator 9 folder with a copy of the FS9.exe in that folder (i.e. C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9).  At least that was my experience, as I recall.

Greg  

Thanks for the suggestion.  That did not work for me.  Supposedly they are sending me a key that will allow me to load the software off-line.  We'll see. I can't understand them pushing so hard for a solution over a $10. refund.  You are right that you have to be a wizard to figure out how to use their CS.  Seems to me they should be a bit more upfront with the customer with some cautions that "this software may not work with newer systems".  

That is too bad. Hopefully they will come through for you.

I couldn't find the various support tickets from my discussions with the Captainsim support team so I went back and found where i got the idea for the solution that I outlined above.  It was actually in a Captainsim community forum here.  

Let us know how it turns out for you.  Someday some of us Windows 7 users might want to upgrade our operating system to Windows 10 and still fly the Captainsim C-130 in FS9. :smile:

Greg

All you should need is an empty Flight Simulator 9 folder with a copy of the FS9.exe in that folder (i.e. C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9).  At least that was my experience, as I recall.

Greg  

Thanks, I will try it out tomorrow. I actually had the C-130 installed on my Windows 7 computer at one time. After I installed it the plane had no wheels or engines/props in the sim. I was told by Captain Sim support to uninstall the plane then reinstall it. I uninstalled the plane, then when I went to install it again it would not install. After that I just got the run around from the Captain Sim support.

Because Capt. Sim seems very reluctant to refund money paid for their inoperative software, I am going to say that if you have a Windows 10 system, you buy their FS9 products at your own risk.  Upon requesting a refund , I have received nothing but more ineffective solutions.  This is a unique situation in my thirteen years of FS9 simming. It's hard to believe a company would sell it's reputation for $10. or that it's even worth their time at that price to mess with customer service staffing, but apparently that is their business model.  Buyer beware!

forkedtail, I agree that Captain Sim should refund your $10, but their website does give these system requirements for the C-130 for FS2004:

MINIMUM SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS:
  • - CPU 1.5 GHz
  • - 256 Mb of RAM
  • - 64 Mb video card
  • - 700 Mb of free space on the MSFS hard drive
  • - Windows XP
  • - MS Flight Simulator 2004
  • - Internet access (for installation/re-installation)

Please note, we do not support technical issues appeared on systems that do not conform to the minimum system requirements.

RECOMMENDED:
  • - CPU 3.0 GHz
  • - 1024 Mb of RAM
  • - 256 Mb video card
  • - 1 Gb of free space on the MSFS hard drive
  • - Windows XP
  • - MS Flight Simulator 2004
  • - Internet access (for installation/re-installation)

This is why I don't advise people to install FS2004 onto Windows 10. Yes, FS2004 itself runs great on Win10, but older payware add-on aircraft like this one don't and never will. The reason is that the gauges are .gau type files which are written in C++ code, and are therefore dependent upon the C++ runtime libraries whose directory locations and their contents can vary from one OS to the next. The really frustrating part is that only one or two gauges may be affected, that's why some people have reported missing landing gear or props/engines in Windows 7 (x64?) for example.

They should take a leaf out of Flight 1's book.  Yesterday, I bought Dreamfleet's Piper Dakota from them but then found that it wasn't to my liking.  The a/c worked OK but I just didn't like it.  So they gave me a full refund - no questions asked and no hassle.  That's what I call good customer service with a desire to keep their customers on board.

Dijvid

I have no problem with Captainsim continuing to sell their C-130 but in my opinion they should update the system requirement statement to explicitly say the model is not completely compatible with operating systems newer than Windows XP.  The impression is left that XP, as well as the other specifications, are minimum requirements.  Even though I found a solution to the installation issues for my Windows 7 64-bit system, the final word from their support team was that "Windows 7 is not supported."  It was an odd statement after they did try to help knowing from the get-go that I wanted to install the model to a Windows 7 system.  Maybe it was because none of their solutions worked.  Regardless, if they made it absolutely clear on their website that the product is not completely compatible with any operating system beyond Windows XP then it truly would be a "buy at your own risk" situation for new customers.

For those who would like to adapt the C-130 to their Windows 7 64-bit systems I can report that once I got the installer to run properly, and could go through the Captainsim registration process, the missing landing gear and props problem was fixed. One of my early attempts to get around "error 11" was to copy my prior installation from a backup drive to my new Windows 7 setup.  That resulted in the missing bits and pieces reappearing so I presume the issue is linked to a proper and complete installation and registration process.

Greg

To add insult to injury, they want to charge me 10 Euros as an "administration fee" to refund my $10. purchase.  I also agree with gaputz that publiahed system requirements are the minimums needed to run an application.  Windows XP is not even supported by MS, so it and this aircraft software should be removed from sale without accompanying warnings.  Perhaps that is why it is drastically reduced.  Not illegal, but certainly shady.  They basically stole my money.

Well setting up a dummy FS9 folder did not work. I still get the error 11. I knew I should of not gotten my hopes up. :sad:

CAPT SIM has never been "customer friendly" what so ever.  As has been stated by many others, when asking for help all they do is give you the run around or solutions (?) that simply don't work.

I too have the CAPT SIM C130 for both FS9 and FSX.  I also run windows 7 64 Pro and when I first bought the planes they installed and worked fine on that system.  Now, they will not install what so ever and CS does not want to help in any way at all.  To me, they have adopted the "we have your money, now go away we don't care" attitude.  I, for one, will never buy another CS product.