Sign in to follow this  

[XP11] GA plane advice

Ok. I know I said I wouldn't spend any money on XP11 addons until it was out of beta but as good as the default Cessna is... I kinda hate high wing planes. And I kinda hate C172's. So I am thinking about getting something else. The other default GA planes aren't my cup of tea either, I am afraid, or I don't like how they look at all (blocking the outside view or filling the entire screen with a panel... seriously?) I really love my A2A Cherokee and also the A2A Comanche is quite okay. I also liked the Diamond DA40 (or something similar) in the past and the RealAir Legacy,

I was wondering if there are any quality GA planes for XP already that will work in XP11? I doubt they will have been updated already to include the new graphic effects but well, maybe that will happen in due time. It seems only the Airfoilabs (or something like that) Cessna is quite good but I definitely will not spend money on a Cessna, specially since the default one is nice enough already. (And because of my mentioned dislike of the plane LOL)

To early imo - have to wait until developers get Their products updated - even then it will be tough choosing not a lot of offerings from what I've seen in GA aircraft anyway - airfoil for me when updated - that said not a lot of repaints for that bird

Rich Sennett

I don't think there is a single low-wing GA aircraft out that officially works with X-Plane 11.

The REP ones (F33A, V35, B58) all have issues in 11 such as the gear doors not closing. Something less plugin-enhanced like the VFlyte Pipers should work, but they are not on that level if you're looking for REP/A2A/RealAir quality.

Ok, thanks, I think I wlll wait after all, then... :wink:

Ideally, everything needs to be updated for XP11 first before you go start spending money. I'd hesitate to make any recommendations, since there's always the possibility that a developer will make an update available for XP11 at a nominal fee, in which case you'd have paid for an XP10 aircraft *plus* you'd then be paying for an upgrade to XP11, if that so happens.

I *really* like my VFlyte Cherokees (and I do enjoy the A2A version, they are both good for different reasons), but I have yet to look at them in XP11.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

For what it's worth, the Alabeo aircraft (at least the ones I have) all have built-in reflections like the default 172 has. What's puzzling, is that Carenado aircraft don't! The Cessna 172RG and the Tomahawk both show the reflections and fly ok. No autopilot in either aircraft. I missed the sale, would have gotten the Alabeo Titan.

• Upvote 1

I'm in the same boat.  I went ahead and purchased the V-35 and the Reality pack. Sadly, no brakes, and the gear door stays open. Also purchased the Quest Kodiak (no brakes) and PC12 (no brakes + engine fire). The only plane working in my hangar is the CRJ-200, so I'm making do with IFR flying for now.

On the subject, no PB3 today? I really hoped it would be out today and fix the braking issues. Hopefully this week.

I missed the sale, would have gotten the Alabeo Titan

It was unfortunately not part of the Carenado sale, if that's the one you're referring to.

Fingers crossed for an org store Christmas sale.

Ok, clear, now I will definitely wait! ;)

I *really* like my VFlyte Cherokees (and I do enjoy the A2A version, they are both good for different reasons), but I have yet to look at them in XP11.

I had a look at that Cherokee (do you own the original or classic?). I wonder what those different reasons are?

I own both.  They're the same on the outside, but different on the inside - one's a fully equipped IFR panel, the other is a VFR only panel based on an actual aircraft flown by one of the devs.

I prefer the original. Lots of charm, and some neat little touches. I appreciate the fact that the avionics aren't the same ol' B/K stack that you usually see. They both handle nicely though (in XP10...) and complement each other very well, worthwhile to grab them as a bundle, and fairly inexpensive individually.

I wrote a review on it for Avsim... but then never got around to taking pics for the review and ended up getting swamped by both life and the work I do for a different (ironically, not XP) developer, and had to take a step back from the idea of writing reviews altogether for a bit. If I can get time this winter, I'll clean it up and publish it. :smile:

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

I own both.  They're the same on the outside, but different on the inside - one's a fully equipped IFR panel, the other is a VFR only panel based on an actual aircraft flown by one of the devs.

I prefer the original. Lots of charm, and some neat little touches. I appreciate the fact that the avionics aren't the same ol' B/K stack that you usually see. They both handle nicely though (in XP10...) and complement each other very well, worthwhile to grab them as a bundle, and fairly inexpensive individually.

I wrote a review on it for Avsim... but then never got around to taking pics for the review and ended up getting swamped by both life and the work I do for a different (ironically, not XP) developer, and had to take a step back from the idea of writing reviews altogether for a bit. If I can get time this winter, I'll clean it up and publish it. :smile:

Do they work in XP11? Cherokee 140 was my first solo aircraft back in 2002

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

I own both. They're the same on the outside, but different on the inside - one's a fully equipped IFR panel, the other is a VFR only panel based on an actual aircraft flown by one of the devs.

Thanks for this short review. ;) I also like the looks of the original more. I also like to fly with VOR only every now and then so if I am buying this one I probably buy the bundle. Looking forward to the full review! ;) I did read a review elsewhere in the meantime and it was very positive.

But er... when I asked about the different reasons I was talking about this XP plane compared to the A2A version. ;) I do wonder how they compare.

But er... when I asked about the different reasons I was talking about this XP plane compared to the A2A version. ;) I do wonder how they compare.

Hah, sorry, I completely misunderstood!

It's hard to compare them straight across. Apples to oranges, you know. Also a bit of difference in handling there too, since the A2A is a 180, vs. the VFlyteAir 140. The A2A version has more polish in textures and modeling, but the VFlyteAir version feels more 'real' in the sense that it has a bit more personality. Highly subjective, I know, but the VFlyteAir feels like an older 140 that's seen a lot of flying.

Obviously the A2A features all the A2A bits regarding damage & wear tracking, etc. The VFlyteAir does not. However, if you don't want that (or don't care for the A2A implementation of that feature, like me), than that's not a concern - again, apples to oranges.

The VFlyteAir version does an excellent job of making you feel you're in a really small aircraft. It might just be how XP portrays it's field of view, but the 140 feels like a 6 footer like me with wide shoulders would be a tight fit. :smile: Not many small GA in sims convey that feeling. Don't know why.

That said, I do find the A2A Cherokee to be one of their best releases. I typically ignore their damage / wear stuff (I don't care for how they implement it, compared to my oft-repeated favorite DA20), but there's no denying that it looks absolutely superb, and has a range of well integrated avionics options.

With the VFlyteAir 140's I think one of the reasons that I prefer the Original is that by having a basic panel, it's *very* different from the A2A version. Whereas, the Classic is more of a direct comparison, and the lack of avionics configuration (no mouse click GNS/GTN options there) make it a little less attractive than the A2A.

I've had great fun in flying VOR in the Original. A little more work though, with only a single receiver and no DME. Helps to fly in an area where there's at least one or two off course signals to grab angles from. Makes for a busy flight, much more so than following the AP with a GTN. :wink:

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Thanks again, Jim! Great post! Sounds like a must have for me once it has been updated for XP11. As I said, I sometimes like the challenge to fly with VOR only to airports without a VOR, so I depend on triangulation, and well, to do so with only one receiver and no DME... that should be a REAL challenge. One more reason to also get the classic version for whenever I just want a relaxing flight. ;) But I really like the old look of the classic one: I think I will fly that one more often like for tourist flights around one airport or basic VFR flights from A to B during fine weather and a map on my lap. The Cherokee isn't a real IFR plane to me anyway. It is on the top of my list now!

EDIT

I just asked about an XP11 update for the Cherokee on the xFlyteAir forum on .org and only after that I discovered MarioDonick is the man behind it all...? It is a small world. ;) Mario, if you read this, you've got a new post on your forum. ;) I do however suspect updates won't be worked on until XP11 is out of beta...

The Cherokee isn't a real IFR plane to me anyway. It is on the top of my list now!

Really? Why is that?

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI