Sign in to follow this  
charliewards

Finally! Photo scenery with autogen

Thanks for the screen shots.. better than no autogen i guess on the landscapes.. however, to me it looks more scattered, like thrown in randomly, rather than conforming to the underlying structure, maybe i'm wrong though.

I've noticed this too, Some is "where it should be," but it's not uncommon to see a tree on a road or in a river. 

Interesting. I never noticed the tint because If I see something long enough it looks normal (fellow photographers know what I mean when trying to color correct). So I decided to do a side by side with stock P3D, and yup... it's very green. I don't mind because of the trade off in more accurate ground references. 
 Ultimate VFR is color corrected by a videographer.

Ultimate VFR is color corrected by a videographer.

I'm not a patient guy and got tired of the wait for Ultimate VFR. I already had MS IL and AL, so $12 was no big deal.

I'll add Ultimate VFR to my impatient list which includes the Milviz King Air, the A2A Connie, and PMDG's updated Queen of the Skies.

I just bought and tried the Nuvecta Treeline for Puerto Rico. I have the Megasncery 4K for PR and just added this Nuvecta Treeline

it was 5$ so I am not complaining... the autogen buildings were ok...trees were sparce..it was dense in small clumps but PR is rain forest terriroty and it did not cover the PR area like I was expecting (Orbx style). :)

But for $5 its ok. Its better than not having it at all.

AZ is $12 and I have MS AZ v3 so I may get this as well.

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Not to hijack this post, but you guys who love photoscenery really should give X-Plane 11 and a small free program called Ortho4XP a try.

It's super easy to use Ortho4XP to make photoscenery at max zoomlevel 19, with all the autogens and roads you could possible want. It's amazing in so many ways: the quality is absolutely payware level and the process is just about as simple as clicking/downloading scenery package online. Of course, you probably need to spend a few minutes to get familiar with Ortho4XP at the first try. After that, your hard drive is your limit. 

The only downside if any is that it takes a lot of computer power and time to generate the scenery (aka "tiles") at high zoom level. Each tile covers I guess around 40x60 miles and at ZL19 its folder will be around 120GB containing 23,000 files. On my laptop with 6700HQ cpu it takes seven hours to process and generate one tile. 

• Upvote 1

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

I just bought and tried the Nuvecta Treeline for Puerto Rico. I have the Megasncery 4K for PR and just added this Nuvecta Treeline

Did you get Treeline or Landscape? Treeline doesn't add buildings, Landscape does.

Not to hijack this post, but you guys who love photoscenery really should give X-Plane 11 and a small free program called Ortho4XP a try.

Except doing so is violating the End User License Agreement with Google, Yahoo and Bing map servers and the contracts those companies hold with Digital Globe and other satellite providers and opens up users to the risk of legal action being taken against them from those companies. :(

I guess if you don't sell the tiles for profit that should be OK? I really don't know the details here though and I just think for my personal use it is a fair game. Is there even an EULA for using Bing/Google maps online? I've never seen, agreed or signed any.

There is one thing I feel guilty is to use too much bandwidth with those map providers. I do try everything I can to not abuse their servers. 

I guess if you don't sell the tiles for profit that should be OK? I really don't know the details here though and I just think for my personal use it is a fair game. Is there even an EULA for using Bing/Google maps online? I've never seen, agreed or signed any.

There is one thing I feel guilty is to use too much bandwidth with those map providers. I do try everything I can to not abuse their servers. 

From what I've seen they don't allow obtaining imagery without use of their own API's which unfortunately these tools and the likes of tileproxy circumvent :sad:  Kinda a catch 22.

NASA's worldwind server is fine because it's all public domain but the imagery is all low res :(

I guess if you don't sell the tiles for profit that should be OK?  

Recall the case of Plan-G? Tim is certainly not making profit from it (it's free), however his API has been blocked from using Google data forcing him to switch to other (lower-quality) data bases a few years ago.

Presumably it's a matter of usage No one will complain as long as you're flying below their radar. However, literally taken, I'm afraid UltimateVFR is right.

Personally, I also dislike that whole concept of millions of apes sitting behind their machines and crunching the same tiles to XP scenes over and over, with the only difference being perhaps the ZL. It's a waste of manpower as well as a waste of bandwith.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

I agree with Michael.

It is such a waste and it should and It could be organized in another way.

I´m sure they will stop it any day.

luckily I have 8 TB scenery on HD now.

Because the bottom line is for me personally...

Can´t fly without Ortho4xp generated scenery after I got used to it.

It´s great! Forgotten all about P3D and all the expensive add-on I bought.

• Upvote 2

Haze.

Sweden.

Hotas Warthog. MFG Crosswind. MSFS. DCS. IL-2 Sturmovik: Great Battles.

At zl19 each tile is about 30GB download from Bing server, It'll be great that we Ortho4XP guys can all put our tiles to BT so everyone can share the files easily. I agree it's a total waste that many tiles may have got made again and again wasting those bandwidth for those servers. 

But as Haze says it, once you get used to the amazing quality in Ortho4XP, it's hard to fly anything else. It's really the closest possible thing to the real world as far as batch processing scenery is concerned. Plus you can pick anywhere to make the tiles and fly. The feeling of choice and freedom is definitely icing on the cake...

X-Plane + Ortho4XP is also super that they add nearly all the autogen houses correctly along the roads in my area. For my 20 years of sim life I finally located my house exactly on the scenery.  

Personally, I also dislike that whole concept of millions of apes sitting behind their machines and crunching the same tiles to XP scenes over and over, with the only difference being perhaps the ZL. It's a waste of manpower as well as a waste of bandwith.

If one wants to compare a centralized versus decentralized tile creation/distribution the facts are :

1) (everything else being equal) it does not take longer to build one tile than to download it from a centralized source, it is even usually quicker because providers have larger bandwidths.

2) decentralized processes are as automatic as a file download, resuming to a few user clics, so manpower usage is comparably close to zero.

3) total bandwidth is actually smaller in a decentralized process, because jpegs are roughly 2.5 smaller in file size with respect to dds (and still roughly 1.5 smaller when dds are 7z compressed). 

The main difference is the channel supporting the bandwidth of course, and that has to be taken into account when the download is not welcome.

Regarding EULA : the best imageries I know of are governmental and an increasingly larger number of them are copyright friendly for non commercial (sometimes even commercial) use. In Europe countries are enforced to do so according to the INSPIRE directive. In the US the USGS imagery has long been copyright friendly.

That said : STOP doing ZL19, in 99.9% of the cases it is purely useless, a true waste of everything.

Most of the time :

- optical resolution is close to ZL18 at most, sometimes even ZL17,anything higher is just oversampling.

- above a few hundred feets lower mipmaps will take the place anyway, so your top resolution will

not even be loaded.

For VFR use ZL17 with notches of ZL18 in the places you know you will fly very low. For anything

above 2000ft ZL16 is already almost optimal. For airliner altitude anything above ZL14/ZL15 is simply not loaded as a mipmap.

Mankind still have a few things to learn from apes, perhaps even courtesy.

Regards

• Upvote 1

Mankind still have a few things to learn from apes, perhaps even courtesy.

Regards

I am sorry. I was loosely referring to what is known as the Infinite Monkey Thorem

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinite_monkey_theorem

I apologize to anyone feeling hurt personally, this was not my intention.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11