Sign in to follow this  
kenthom

Auto throttle, AP problem

While in flight the speed wants to increase eventually running me into overspeed.

If this is not triggered by auto step climb (and I assume it's not), then it is a common problem with physical throttles. I mean your Saitek THQ is absolutely ok, but at some point the beast forgets to use its autothrottle values. To put it simple - when you advance throttle levers for take-off, you probably leave them at 100% or something close to it and then at some certain situation plane ignores the signal from FMC and instead of using commanded values overrides them and looks for your THQ signal. I have the same problem and I am not sure how to deal with it correctly, but to avoid such situations I set throttles to ~ 40%after take-off. Real 777 does not have this problem ofcourse, because levers will always follow the A/T commanded setting.

I would like to hear some advice regarding this - is there a better way to do this?

P.S. What weather add-on are you using? Not sure about P3D, but FSX is infamous for its terrible weather (winds aloft) system, that often created situations where wind could change for 180 degrees in a matter of second. It was a nightmare for the MD-11s Autoflight system, resulting with same behaviour - nose up, to reduce overspeed.   

Hi,

THe issue is often when a spike from the throttle quadrant remains the addons of the position of the levers of the TQ. As you said, as long as the throttle quadrant levers don't move, they the addon forgets about them.
A good way to avoid that is to said the option A/T MANUAL OVERRIDE to <IN HOLD MODE ONLY.

That way, the autothrottle will ignore the signal of the TQ as long as it is not in hold mode.

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Avec l'avion, nous avons inventé la ligne droite.

St Exupéry, Terre des hommes.

Romain, thanks for explanation! Just to mention - i forgot (havent been simming for couple of years :D ) about spikes, you are right!
And I guess throttle spiking is the answer to the OPs problem - why it shows up randomly, and Saitek's THQ is rather ###### in terms of quality. Sad but true. 
Is that A/T manual override setting inside PMDG Setup, located in CDU? 

Is that A/T manual override setting inside PMDG Setup, located in CDU? 

Yes, have look at the introduction manual to find exactly where, I don't have neither the manual nor the aircraft next to me right now.

Search for "A/T MANUAL OVERRIDE".

• Upvote 1

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

You're welcome.  :wink:

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg