Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mik75

SMPv4 vs. xEnviro vs. AS16&ASCA

Guest Mik75

Hi there!

Here are a few pics, taken from the same base pattern (flown @ 9000ft with sim time set to 14:30 local on the 19th of December) at EDDK in a B738.

Sims are XP 10.51 (with SMPv4, RWC 1.1, FSGRW & xEnviro 1.04) and P3Dv3 (with AS16 and ASCA SP1 open beta)

The METAR for the flight (real weather in all three cases) was:

EDDK 191920Z 15013KT 9999 BKN020 03/M01 Q1027 NOSIG

SMPv4 with RWC 1.1 and FSGRW:

df3vllgahifqfo9tr.jpg

df3vlsdbdhkceqfgf.jpg

df3vm46tctvsderb3.jpg

df3vma4u62pabemyn.jpg

df3vmfz859sb3tbjz.jpg

df3vmoumbvoottf3z.jpg

xEnviro 1.04:

df3vn61b817oxcmnz.jpg

df3vncfegxo556m67.jpg

df3vni9v37rx786nz.jpg

df3vnoihunj1btxof.jpg

df3vnumupv4m4ebpb.jpg

df3vo1tv4w6et4j3z.jpg

AS16 & ASCA (SP1 open beta in P3Dv3):

df3von5a9dvydj6wv.jpg

df3votxh66zttwqf3.jpg

df3voz6tes87i0pfj.jpg

df3vp5d3kdiywg6v3.jpg

df3vpbz8gvvvlnydb.jpg

df3vphophb0vc3q2n.jpg

Thanks for a great post.  You have cemented my decision for me.   The main difference between what would cause me to drop the $$$ hammer upon either XEnviro, or SMP4.0 is now, what attracts me as I fly over, under, and through the cloudscape upon ascent and descent.  Volumetric vs. 2D.  Your post really highlights the difference.  For my taste(s), I gravitate to both SMP 4.0 and AS16, based with volumetric cloud structure, even though I'm using ASN still within FSX and P3D.  That sense of lushness of the cloud body...so for myself, I've decided to stay with the SMP franchise until XEnviro perhaps goes volumetric.  They might not, though...for the FPS hit it might cause with using the product?  Who knows?

Guest Mik75

Thanks for a great post.  You have cemented my decision for me.   The main difference between what would cause me to drop the $$$ hammer upon either XEnviro, or SMP4.0 is now, what attracts me as I fly over, under, and through the cloudscape upon ascent and descent.  Volumetric vs. 2D.  Your post really highlights the difference.  For my taste(s), I gravitate to both SMP 4.0 and AS16, based with volumetric cloud structure, even though I'm using ASN still within FSX and P3D.  That sense of lushness of the cloud body...so for myself, I've decided to stay with the SMP franchise until XEnviro perhaps goes volumetric.  They might not, though...for the FPS hit it might cause with using the product?  Who knows?

Glad that you like my post and that it helped you with your decision! ;-)

Glad that you like my post and that it helped you with your decision! ;-)

It did...and you get the credit...I was in a serious wiffle-waffle.  Just purchased SMP 4.0.1, and am reading up on the new features...over  and above, v3.x

I am still in a serious wiffle-waffle!   :wink:  Do not know if I want to pay for the SkyMaxxv4 upgrade just yet until I see what xEnviro has planned for the next update.  Guess I have 60 days to think about it.

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W, G.SKILL 48Gb@76000 MHz DDR5, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm”.

Great post and a truly thank you for it. However, I come to just the opposite conclusion than Mitch. For me, the "overly" volumetric is just not what I see when I look out of the window of a real airplane. But at the end of the day it's what makes us happy, and that's in the eye of the beholder, isn't it? So hopefully everyone is going to fly with his/hers preferred clouds this holiday season. 

• Upvote 1

Hans

Ok...ok.......ok....first off right away.  SMP 3.x does not render properly in XP11!

Nope..

I am getting fantastic sky rendering, color...fog...clouds...and NONE OF THIS, was being rendered with SMP 3.x ported over to XP11.

Right now, I am at KFNT, my home base...and the sky and haze is fantastic.  So...I was never seeing the 'true deal', regarding weather generation, within XP11, with SMP 3.x in play.

No freakin' way....

Wow...still discovering....

So, now using SMP 4.0.1 and Real Weather Connector 1.1  They seem 'happily' married...lol!

Later...

Great post and pics!  Got to ask though, did you get a chance to take a picture of SMPv4 when up at altitude?  Seems that's where it falls a bit behind.  Would be curious how yours compares.  Thanks!

Also, how was the framerate compared between SMPv4 and Xenviro?

I agree at least in the pics, SMP is miles better... xenviro looks like flat bad photoscenery...

Ok...ok.......ok....first off right away.  SMP 3.x does not render properly in XP11!

Nope..

I am getting fantastic sky rendering, color...fog...clouds...and NONE OF THIS, was being rendered with SMP 3.x ported over to XP11.

Right now, I am at KFNT, my home base...and the sky and haze is fantastic.  So...I was never seeing the 'true deal', regarding weather generation, within XP11, with SMP 3.x in play.

No freakin' way....

Wow...still discovering....

So, now using SMP 4.0.1 and Real Weather Connector 1.1  They seem 'happily' married...lol!

Later...

Poster is running XP10 for these shots just in case any missed it, not that your comments are wrong ha

Seems that we couldn't agree less as to what looks better (= real) for a long time. Which is good for competition purposes. Frankly, the SMP and XEnviro guys should work their butts off to give XP 11 the best possible weather environment and increase their share of the market. Long way to go for both. Which one you prefer today IMHO is really only a matter of taste and perceived real world visuals. 

• Upvote 2

Hans

Poster is running XP10 for these shots just in case any missed it, not that your comments are wrong ha

What I am saying is that I was running SMP 3.x in XP11, and got nothing like I am getting right now...at KFNT,   wow...was I missing out!

Will post some shots, after I see more and more, X-Y comparisons to where I usually fly..and what I had with v3.3.2, and now v4.0.1, that does talk to XP11 properly...

The haze at the horizon, is KILLER...and not masking anything anymore...just looks fantastic.  Man, for myself at least...did I ever make the right decision.   X-Aviation, Sun Dog...you guys still 'have it'... :)

What I am saying is that I was running SMP 3.x in XP11, and got nothing like I am getting right now...at KFNT,   wow...was I missing out!

Will post some shots, after I see more and more, X-Y comparisons to where I usually fly..and what I had with v3.3.2, and now v4.0.1, that does talk to XP11 properly...

The haze at the horizon, is KILLER...and not masking anything anymore...just looks fantastic.  Man, for myself at least...did I ever make the right decision.   X-Aviation, Sun Dog...you guys still 'have it'... :)

Glad it's looking nice!  I fly XP10 over XP11, just can't get the framerate I need in 11. 

Interesting you aren't having the bug Cameron was talking about in XP11 regarding long distance visuals, said it was a XP11 rendering bug that needs to get fixed.

Have fun all!

I still prefer x-enviro. SMP are only clouds, x-enviro is the all in one. the clouds are too poofy for SMP too me. i own smp3 and have the 50% discount, but may not buy it.thanks for the photos.

Glad it's looking nice!  I fly XP10 over XP11, just can't get the framerate I need in 11. 

Interesting you aren't having the bug Cameron was talking about in XP11 regarding long distance visuals, said it was a XP11 rendering bug that needs to get fixed.

Have fun all!

Which one is that?  My visuals...for the short 1/2 hour I could fly tonight...need to do other things...hear the wife's voice changing er...'timbre'...lol...but jest aside...SMP 3.x was not speaking properly and rendering properly to XP11.  Not at all...I had lush clouds...but always...the same light to dark color tendrils...nothing ENACTED upon them. Not now...by gawd!   The view is stunning...like I said..a new sim. Most happy. Most...

Actually, in a closing thought...one of the first visuals differences I saw, as I climbed out past 1,500 feet..is that WOW...look at the detail, that was being choked to death in a over-done, haze and fog layer, with stock XP11, or XP11 under a ported v3.x.   I changed the sim to late dusk...and I could almost see Detroit waaaay down along I-75 from Oakland County...wow...the highway and animation was incredible...the clarity incredible...and yet...clouds...a 'wispy/wet feel to the laden air...and this was no where to be seen with SMP 3x in gear.  

I'll post pics...as I get the feel of my 'new' XP11....LOL!

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww! :hi:  

Mitch