Sign in to follow this  
theskyisthelimit

XP11 + flyinside VR experiences and questions

Curious on everyones experience so far with FI 1.7x and XP11 beta..

Without HDR turned on, the c172 cockpit is a bit too dark, however i can pull about 28 fps in NYCX area (though around 36 fps with p3d locked at 48 fps)..

If i turn on HDR its brighter but i drop to 17-21 fps at best.. i couldnt find a good combination that worked well with HDR turned on.

I set HDR to "HDR" (the top slider).

I havent done much yet with NI settings either, though i think Thread Optimization on Auto was better than off.

I really didnt find turning on ASW that usable.. and also at one point i had HDR on after messing with combinations and i was getting 7/25 for a frame rate and couldnt get out of that without just turning off HDR.

I set FI to 3840 on the resolution and 4x in the FI AA.

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

Thanks for advising this was out. I had it for XP 10 and now XP11 beta. Downloaded and installed with XP11. Everything working as it should and glad for the HDR addition. I have my settings on pretty high. HDR on high. Texture quality high.4xSSAA+FXAA.World objects and level detail on maximum. Flew out of UUEE, using SKYMAXP4 partly cloudy. Pulling 20-24 fps. Though this looks weak it actually flys fairly smoothly though I'm getting the pop-outs which used to occur with the first P3D incarnation. Hopefully that can be fixed. I think the performance leaves something to be desired though and would like to see some kind of performance optimization.

I still think the VR implementation with Aerofly FS2 is the best. Better performance, graphics, panels, avionics - all look better. Maybe that's the difference when a VR is built in natively rather than as a 3rd party app with XP and P3D.

i7-4790 3.6 ghz 16gb DDR3. 1080AMPExtreme 8 gb.

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb, RX 6900XT 16gb

Thanks for advising this was out. I had it for XP 10 and now XP11 beta. Downloaded and installed with XP11. Everything working as it should and glad for the HDR addition. I have my settings on pretty high. HDR on high. Texture quality high.4xSSAA+FXAA.World objects and level detail on maximum. Flew out of UUEE, using SKYMAXP4 partly cloudy. Pulling 20-24 fps. Though this looks weak it actually flys fairly smoothly though I'm getting the pop-outs which used to occur with the first P3D incarnation. Hopefully that can be fixed. I think the performance leaves something to be desired though and would like to see some kind of performance optimization.

I still think the VR implementation with Aerofly FS2 is the best. Better performance, graphics, panels, avionics - all look better. Maybe that's the difference when a VR is built in natively rather than as a 3rd party app with XP and P3D.

Wow, how are you getting even that high of fps, curious.

Are you set at 3840 on the FI res.. what AA is FI set to?  Is FI FXAA set to enabled.. ASW turned off?

If do the same settings on mine i end up with 16 fps at KPIT, a very easy area.. though i have overcast turned on.

My ATW value is terrible too.. around 52 not 90.

I may try a clean install of the nvidia driver and wipe out the flyinside settings too.. unsure whats going on here.

Btw i agree that the VR is great out of the box in Aerofly FS2 though.

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

I found the performance to be absolutely horrible. FI is off the table for me, I'll wait for native VR support in XP11...

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

I found the performance to be absolutely horrible. FI is off the table for me, I'll wait for native VR support in XP11...

Some are saying there should be no difference with a 1080 card and whether hdr is on or not.. i'm not finding this to be the case.. which card do you have

Another finding...

When you run XP by itself outside of VR, you can do keyboard shortcuts like shift + 1 etc to change views..

For some reason these dont seem to work when FI is going on..

Maybe its a bug or  there a workaround, or maybe i'm missing something?

The latest XP 11  beta3 has improved performance!

Jay

The latest XP 11  beta3 has improved performance!

Jay

Seems to still be a mess for me.. extremely stuttery and laggy with HDR + 4SSA turned on in the sim.  ATW values 40-65 with this setting

Wow, how are you getting even that high of fps, curious.

Are you set at 3840 on the FI res.. what AA is FI set to?  Is FI FXAA set to enabled.. ASW turned off?

If do the same settings on mine i end up with 16 fps at KPIT, a very easy area.. though i have overcast turned on.

My ATW value is terrible too.. around 52 not 90.

I may try a clean install of the nvidia driver and wipe out the flyinside settings too.. unsure whats going on here.

Btw i agree that the VR is great out of the box in Aerofly FS2 though.

Well I tried from KSEA and performance around 15-18. 2368x1464. FXAA enabled.MSAA4X enabled on FI. ASW turned off. I haven't tried it without HDR but shutting it off just defeats the purpose. Performance is not good frankly. It is still in beta so should be room for improvement .

For some reason FI has corrupted XP11. I've lost KSEA airport and now when I go in the sim without FI I have a stretched image. Messed up. Deinstalled FI and I'm going to reinstall XP11. I think I'll leave FI11 beta until they come up with a clean version.

Well I tried from KSEA and performance around 15-18. 2368x1464. FXAA enabled.MSAA4X enabled on FI. ASW turned off. I haven't tried it without HDR but shutting it off just defeats the purpose. Performance is not good frankly. It is still in beta so should be room for improvement .

Yeah p3d is far less shimmering for me..

NYCX on approach to KJFK.. about 16 fps with 4SSA turned on with HDR and 65 ATW.. if i turn it to disabled AA but fxaa and 4x in the FI interface, i might get around 28 fps but it looks ridiculous.

If only there was some way to use a dataref and/or LUA script to set the gamma a bit higher.. i think that would probably work as well.. frankly the goggles themselves dont have HDR, though yeah it looks better with it enabled.

I may try this on my clean windows 10 image just to make sure i'm not missing something..

my tests were at a higher res with the 1080 card.. 3840 

For some reason FI has corrupted XP11. I've lost KSEA airport and now when I go in the sim without FI I have a stretched image. Messed up. Deinstalled FI and I'm going to reinstall XP11. I think I'll leave FI11 beta until they come up with a clean version.

Are you using default KSEA or a 3rd party addon for the area?

If addon, i guess you probably know, but you can check the custom addons folder (forget the name) and/or use xaddonmanager to view the ini properties to see if it somehow got disabled.

Yes using default KSEA. Very odd. The real odd thing was the graphics are stretched. Only thing I did was install FI. Something corrupted the install.

Some extensive testing tonight..

My hardware is listed in my sig, but basically oculus rift + 1080 FTW hybrid + 4.7 6700k..

I'm using KSEA on approach with these specific coordinates as a test: 47.48 N and 122.31 W (vanilla install of b3 of xp11 with only north america loaded in this test)

I'm using the clear weather with about 80miles visibility as the setting. (i found with scattered clouds i couldnt get the same cloud type each time to get good results for comparing)

Hit pause just after loading so its aiming at the runway/airport downward..

**Note.. in all cases, at least for me... if i tried to set NI AA it made NO difference when HDR was on.. however, leaving the settings did make a difference in FPS, just no difference in jaggies/shimmering..

Where NI AA did make a difference was with HDR off.. and AA off in XP11.. but, i couldnt get addons like reshade to work to try to brighten up the horrid darkness of no HDR.. if there is a workaround to this, this may help on frame rate in the long run.. (reshade breaks flyinside)

My baseline test had:

Visual: HDR

Textures: High

NO shadows

World Objects: high

Reflections : Min

I found these color adjustments in FI to work better:

4% Darkness

-6% on Bright

and 126% on saturation

Using the above settings in the c172 default with beta 3 (and with all settings in NI at default, even thread optimization.. i found a 5 fps boost by leaving this on AUTO not off for some reason)..

AT FI of 2880 res:

I tried 4SAA around 35 fps.. if i switch to 2SSA + FXAA its around 41fps..

FI 2880 again, another test, this time with shadows turned on and 4SAA.. 30 fps ..

Now FI set to 3840 res and shadows OFF **much better visibility/clarity than at 2880):

I tried 4SAA i get 26 avg paused (but more like 22-26 with looking around)..

Turn to 2SSA+FXAA i get 36ish for the frame rate (no shadows) but it looks a tad worse on clarity and shimmering.

Leave at 2SSA + FXAA and turn on shadows, 36 becomes 26 fps

Overall, just turning on shadows will cost about 3-4 fps.

Setting reflections to medium, up a notch, made no real difference in fps

Setting buildings to medium instead of high resulted in LESS shimmer, maybe due to being less advanced.. but NO change in FPS, however, going from high to the max was a loss in fps (2-3)

So what this boils down to for me as of now, unless there are ways of tweaking graphics through datarefs, like maybe customizing shadows somehow or turning off traffic?.. that basically i found 3840 supersampling to be the best looking especially at 4SAA, but shadows is killer.. and even at 26 fps with 4SAA and 3840 and no shadows, this is a tad on the low side.. areas like NYCX will tank, so i may find myself for now just setting things to 2SAA + fxaa to get 36 fps (so more like 30 if i turn on shadows with that combo)..

It may seem a slight difference going from 4saa to 2saa, but i can see where things are clearer and in goggles that lack the resolution, clarity is everything, at least to me.

Other notes: FXAA and the AA in FI seem to have little or NO effect on the sim clarity and shimmering, but more so with the menu for flyinside in terms of clarity.. i tried disabling AA in the sim and leaving FI at 8x, it was pretty awful shimmering, and again, NI setting SGSS made no difference on shimmering with AA off in the sim with HDR, only when it was off.

Overall, i still think P3D looks a bit sharper with flyinside.. hoping as the beta improves flyinside will gain some tweaks to reduce the shimmering effect and gain some performance / fps.

Not using XP-11! I am using Steam FSX cleanly installed (No boxed or Gold Edition w/ Sp1,2 Eccel,., etc.), With the Flyinside Rift's Options you can have you FPS displayed on the little floating menu window that appears when you press the direct button, RTMF! Mine says 35/90. The first number is from the sim the second it from the whamy whatever that generates another screen or window between tracking moves or screens. In essence it's feels like 90FPS, very comfortable. I think I read it first appeared in P3D. I just saw it in FSX so it must be there!  grabbed an AMD RX-480 video card because I knew I needed more GPU power, it was cheap and  I will use it in another machine after The Vega from AMD or the new Nvidia super dupa card can be looked at. And if I can buy a `CPU that is as good as Intels best for a lot less money than guess what! I will say the RX-408 turned out to be one hell of a card for $239.00. There is no doubt the lenses could use some improvement in the Rift. However as I play with this setup I have been able to make it better and better, I can actually fly with it very well. Positioning the sensors and getting your body and head where it belongs in the cockpit make a world of difference.

The one thing that cannot be argued with, you can have a great BenQ monitor like the one I have but your still sitting in  FRONT of it, sorry to yell, lost it for a minute there. With the VR setup your sitting 'IN THE COCKPIT', sorry again! Everyone who sat in my cockpit was blown away!!! They couldn't believe it. I thought I was actually taking off, my tummy felt it my grand daughter said, just like a real plane! My 4 year old Great grandson ripped the headset OFF, to damn real for him to see the little Ailean guy in the Oculus demo, I like it on the screen (monitor), said he. The grown ups were just as amazed! The sense of actually being in the cockpit and flying is kind of hard to describe, you need to try it!

Merry Xmas

BaldyB

Some extensive testing tonight..

EDIT: i should mention in my 4saa + 3840 FI res tests.. where i would see about 27 fps to start.. if you unpause the ATW values drift down from 92.. sometimes even as low as 65 as you get closer to the runway/buildings.. but overall its "ok" though not great performance wise.. i may toy around with trying to lock frames to see if it helps keep the ATW values up as it did with p3d.

update:  ok, so the 27 fps had with 4ssa + 3840 (more like 27/90-48 depending).. is unusable due to the low ATW at times.. even KPIT, showing 29 fps sim rate at first.. but the atw drops to 45-50.. and this isnt a big region like KSEA.. so its 2SSA for now until maybe 5-9 fps could be squeezed out from somewhere else i guess.. 

Not using XP-11! I am using Steam FSX cleanly installed (No boxed or Gold Edition w/ Sp1,2 Eccel,., etc.), demo, I like it on the screen (monitor), said he. The grown ups were just as amazed! The sense of actually being in the cockpit and flying is kind of hard to describe, you need to try it!

Merry Xmas

BaldyB

I agree, once you get in the cockpit in VR, its hard to back to a 2D screen:)

Latest progress so far..

I have a strange issue, seems if i'm not launching with flyinside, but just using xplane11 on the lcd screens.. the view is upside down.. i cant figure out how to undo this either..