Sign in to follow this  
theskyisthelimit

XP11 + flyinside VR experiences and questions

Latest progress so far..

I have a strange issue, seems if i'm not launching with flyinside, but just using xplane11 on the lcd screens.. the view is upside down.. i cant figure out how to undo this either..

I think I figured it out theskyisthelimit! Responded to you on the FI board too but in case this helps others:

Open up FI XP and set the headset facing the cockpit (like you would in 2D). Then exit out of FI-XP without removing the headset or changing its position. Then open up 2D XP and you should have a regular view (for the most part). You'll have to tweak some of the FOV settings and headset position but that's the only way I can get this to work

Open up FI XP and set the headset facing the cockpit (like you would in 2D). Then exit out of FI-XP without removing the headset or changing its position. Then open up 2D XP and you should have a regular view (for the most part). You'll have to tweak some of the FOV settings and headset position but that's the only way I can get this to work

Sounds like good advice to me. One of the best things I did was take( i think it was Dan's?) Advice and go into PMDG's 777-220 aircraft .cfg file to the view section and adjust the numbers. You can place yourself where you want/ need to be in the cockpit. The first number in a reference numbers location which in my aircraft is 80' in front of the plane. Decrease move forward increase move back etc. The other 2 numbers are up/down and left/right. You will find it in the WIKI now. After doing this I found myself in the seat, not slightly behind or off center etc. When I change views I go back where I belong instead of finding myself in a different, some times somewhat crazy, position. If you ever take off with your head sticking out of the cockpits roof you will have an idea of what I speak of. In VR you want your goggles. Sometimes I will go back to VC and find myself under the floor boards looking at the landing gear, A nice view for inspecting your brakes etc., but not at FL300. When you do that adjustment do it from inside Flyinside and alt./tab back and forth, that way you can see the results then and there. The panel became markedly clearer to me afterwards also.

Best

BaldyB

I think I figured it out theskyisthelimit! Responded to you on the FI board too but in case this helps others:

Open up FI XP and set the headset facing the cockpit (like you would in 2D). Then exit out of FI-XP without removing the headset or changing its position. Then open up 2D XP and you should have a regular view (for the most part). You'll have to tweak some of the FOV settings and headset position but that's the only way I can get this to work

Confirmed this worked.. odd that its necessary, hopefully something that they will iron out later on.  Thanks for the tip

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

I just updated to Beta 5.. i'm wondering if anyone else is now having problems with ATW and FI.. the second number on the FI fps counter.. getting terrible boxed effect and stutter.. the rates range from 20-70 even on simple scenery areas now, whereas before they were a constant 90-94 depending.. the sim rates are good 27-35..

edit: i let it "sit" for about 5 minutes, then checked it again, now i'm better, say 28/85-92, still not that locked on 90+ as before, but closer.. mainly dips looking left

edit:  not sure if i mentioned this before, but.. if you put these in a .lua script you gain about 10 fps in the rift...

set("sim/private/controls/caps/use_csm", 0.000000)
set("sim/private/controls/perf/disable_shadow_prep", 1.000000)

Basically kills shadows i believe.

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

I was about to go and try it as the beta should have downloaded by now.

After some time away from xplane, FI and the XP11 beta got me back in to giving it a go and so far I am really liking it.

As usual the night flying is really good but suffers badly from colour banding, as does DCS the other sim I use with the rift.

I have been meaning to give it a good go playing around with different graphical settings to get the best quality/FPS compromise.

Interesting to read that the FI AA does little.  I was hoping that turninf FI to 4k with max AA and no AA on XP11 would do the trick.   Anyhow, thats all what I was about to do right now.

I was about to go and try it as the beta should have downloaded by now.

After some time away from xplane, FI and the XP11 beta got me back in to giving it a go and so far I am really liking it.

As usual the night flying is really good but suffers badly from colour banding, as does DCS the other sim I use with the rift.

I have been meaning to give it a good go playing around with different graphical settings to get the best quality/FPS compromise.

Interesting to read that the FI AA does little.  I was hoping that turninf FI to 4k with max AA and no AA on XP11 would do the trick.   Anyhow, thats all what I was about to do right now.

Just an update here.. 

It was suggested to try turning AA off in the sim and setting it to 8x in FI (which i swear i had done before).. so i gave it a go.. restarted XP after the change..

Now we are cooking.. at least at 3840 res.. i upped to 3840 since AA was off in the sim.. sure there are stiil shimmers about.. IE: do DD NYCX and note off in distance the shimmering and buildings.. but other areas like CYBD Bella.. look fantastic..

Aiming at the city I get around 40 fps/ 90 give or take (clear skies).. turning on Xenviro with semi cloudy, this becomes about 30-34 fps still around 90 and locked on the ATW, which is great.

I had issues were my fps even on ATW were down as low as 50, after doing the beta 5.. however.. i think that was due to a glitch or some setting or possibly bad ram settings (which also caused a bsod), related to going from 16-32gb and needing more voltage on the vccio/sys agent..  i rolled back to a clean beta 3 and installed everything again and its fine.

Whats disappointing is that I have to run 1.04 of Xenviro.. otherwise you get issues.. even with this, the horizon has a wall of clouds.. its because the haze layer doesnt work right in FI.. also.. 2D or VR, xenviro uses 2D sprites for clouds which look ridiculous as you pass by, like paper clouds in the air.. other products use nebulizing technique to make them not look as 2D, Xenviro currently does not.. i may seek out other ways to get good clouds.

I also need to compare one last time 2880 (4AA) with 3840 (No AA) just to see which is best, i think 3840 no AA.

**The other thing i'm trying to figure out, is how i can do an entire VR flight, with head movements and have all that captured in a video.  Issue is that it runs in a small window, so thats not ideal to just capture that.. i think an "Fsrecorder" type app is needed.. the built in replay feature of XP doesnt capture head movements or views that i can see.  It would be nice to record it in one shot with commentary to (for youtube), but at least a second "replay" may be needed.. how is everyone dealing with recording video for VR flights   (ill either use shadowplay or the built in dvr of windows 10)

Side note to the forum:  seems topics are becoming "unfollowed" for some reason.

Just an update here.. 

It was suggested to try turning AA off in the sim and setting it to 8x in FI (which i swear i had done before).. so i gave it a go.. restarted XP after the change..

Now we are cooking.. at least at 3840 res.. i upped to 3840 since AA was off in the sim.. sure there are stiil shimmers about.. IE: do DD NYCX and note off in distance the shimmering and buildings.. but other areas like CYBD Bella.. look fantastic..

Aiming at the city I get around 40 fps/ 90 give or take (clear skies).. turning on Xenviro with semi cloudy, this becomes about 30-34 fps still around 90 and locked on the ATW, which is great.

I had issues were my fps even on ATW were down as low as 50, after doing the beta 5.. however.. i think that was due to a glitch or some setting or possibly bad ram settings (which also caused a bsod), related to going from 16-32gb and needing more voltage on the vccio/sys agent..  i rolled back to a clean beta 3 and installed everything again and its fine.

Whats disappointing is that I have to run 1.04 of Xenviro.. otherwise you get issues.. even with this, the horizon has a wall of clouds.. its because the haze layer doesnt work right in FI.. also.. 2D or VR, xenviro uses 2D sprites for clouds which look ridiculous as you pass by, like paper clouds in the air.. other products use nebulizing technique to make them not look as 2D, Xenviro currently does not.. i may seek out other ways to get good clouds.

I also need to compare one last time 2880 (4AA) with 3840 (No AA) just to see which is best, i think 3840 no AA.

**The other thing i'm trying to figure out, is how i can do an entire VR flight, with head movements and have all that captured in a video.  Issue is that it runs in a small window, so thats not ideal to just capture that.. i think an "Fsrecorder" type app is needed.. the built in replay feature of XP doesnt capture head movements or views that i can see.  It would be nice to record it in one shot with commentary to (for youtube), but at least a second "replay" may be needed.. how is everyone dealing with recording video for VR flights   (ill either use shadowplay or the built in dvr of windows 10)

Side note to the forum:  seems topics are becoming "unfollowed" for some reason.

This is awesome. Thanks for sharing this. I'll run this on my end and report back too. I'm leaving off XEnviro for now (waiting for full FI support) before I invest in it.

Last night I turned off AA in xplane and put it to 8x in FI using  3840 res.   It looked good but I didnt do a back and forwards.

In fact I didn't restart xplane as FI used to say if it needed a restart for the change to come in to effect but now I am wondering if I needed to as I dont remember much of a change.   Having said that I do think there was a FPS dip.

I was flying in NZ with the HDmesh and some added airports.   I was getting in the 30's and 40's for FPS with deta 5.

Now, one thing I never did which I find myself doing in VR is taking a seat in the passengers seats!   I never really flew big stuff but it can look so real replaying a landing while sitting back in a window seat looking out as we come down.   I have been doing it a lot in various planes.

The only thing annoying me there in XP11 is that I can't save quick views or go to them.   It takes far too long to use the arrow keys and ,. to move around the aircraft and back to the pilots seat.   I also can't seem to make the equivalent 'fast' version of the move work.

I dont know if this is an xplane bug or an issue with FI but it would certainly make the seat hopping a lot easier.

I still don't have xenviro yet.    Partly the $$ but mostly the combination of the $$ and the fact that it only gives you the weather thats happening right now.   I dont always (or often) want to fly in that weather :)

Last night I turned off AA in xplane and put it to 8x in FI using  3840 res.   It looked good but I didnt do a back and forwards.

In fact I didn't restart xplane as FI used to say if it needed a restart for the change to come in to effect but now I am wondering if I needed to as I dont remember much of a change.   Having said that I do think there was a FPS dip.

I was flying in NZ with the HDmesh and some added airports.   I was getting in the 30's and 40's for FPS with deta 5.

Now, one thing I never did which I find myself doing in VR is taking a seat in the passengers seats!   I never really flew big stuff but it can look so real replaying a landing while sitting back in a window seat looking out as we come down.   I have been doing it a lot in various planes.

The only thing annoying me there in XP11 is that I can't save quick views or go to them.   It takes far too long to use the arrow keys and ,. to move around the aircraft and back to the pilots seat.   I also can't seem to make the equivalent 'fast' version of the move work.

I dont know if this is an xplane bug or an issue with FI but it would certainly make the seat hopping a lot easier.

I still don't have xenviro yet.    Partly the $$ but mostly the combination of the $$ and the fact that it only gives you the weather thats happening right now.   I dont always (or often) want to fly in that weather :)

Have you tried an area like NYCX (DD) to see how you tolerate the shimmering yet?  Its "tolerable", though still not quite as good as with P3D in terms of clarity.

I also have these that i mentioned before.. in a lua script, which basically cut the cockpit shadows, which gives the fps a slight boost 

set("sim/private/controls/caps/use_csm", 0.000000)
set("sim/private/controls/perf/disable_shadow_prep", 1.000000)

Beta 6 is to fix fps issues, so that should make things better.

In terms of the views.. yeah, there is no real way to do views in FI yet.. its a FI according to Dan/Tony over in the forums.. they may have to implement their own view system to make it work.  I'd love to make some real time (captured via replay scripts) flights with views, but i guess that will have to wait.. or wait for an fsrecorder equivalent.

My initial tests comparing PB3 with PB6 seem to show no difference in FPS (edit: actually maybe about 2 fps Less), this using NYCX DD as a baseline with flyinside + vr and clear skies.. still getting the same rate.. 40-43 initially aimed at the city from a few miles back (about 34fps with partly cloudy Xenviro going on), this also with CSM turned off via a LUA script (cockpit/wing shadows)

If i turn back to default the cockpit shadows (CSM) i see about 34 fps instead of the 40 before Xenviro loads under PB6 (again, in pb3, with csm shadows off around 42 or so).

I discovered this  to adjust settings not available in v11 that were in v10.. not sure if it works or not, but i may give it a try to help boost the frame rate..  Appears you edit the lua script file to your liking

I just got X-Plane 11 and Flyinside and it works really well performance wise. I am just having problems with the FF 757 V2. Whenever I load the aircraft, the simulator window gets really small. That makes it impossible to interact with the X-Plane menus. 

unbenannt.jpg

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

Here is a sortof non VR related issue.. at least i think..

Testing around NYCX DD, aiming at the city i typically now with pb6 get 37-39 fps to start (clear skies) and 90-92 atw..

If i turn up texture quality to max from high (now at the second from end notch).. boom.. 15-20 fps and atw around 50 or less..

(only shows up after you close and reopen XP)

So for now i leave it on high.. i'm not sure why this is the case.. it said it was using 6gb of textures.. i have the 1080 ftw hybrid, with 8gb of memory however.

I just got X-Plane 11 and Flyinside and it works really well performance wise. I am just having problems with the FF 757 V2. Whenever I load the aircraft, the simulator window gets really small. That makes it impossible to interact with the X-Plane menus. 

unbenannt.jpg

I think i saw this posted in the flyinside forum.. maybe that was you? :)  I guess theres been no solution on that one yet?  I have the 767 which i have yet to try (FF)... wonder if the same happens

On the textures causing fps to max out..  I have been doing some GPUZ checking on vram used.. seems that Vram usage is (naturally) much higher when FI is going on..

With mine set to "high" textures and running in 2D (non vr) as a test..
I see 928MB loaded in XP.. while the Memory used is 3452..

Then i fire up VR..
I see 740mb loaded in XP (high again).. while the memory used is 6386 at 3840 FI res  (basically double)

I then increased textures to maximum and
I see 1804 mb loaded in XP.. while the memory used is 7285 at 3840 FI res
***with this mode i'm seeing 54% gpu use and only 13% cpu for x-plane.exe (this doesnt seem right, at least on the cpu, why so low).

If i run 1080 mode in 2D and with 2SSA+FXAA and reflections on medium instead of low and shadows on scenery checked.... and set to maximum the textures.. i see 4779MB used in gpuz and 1905MB in XP.. meanwhile GPU is at 39% and cpu is up to 30% 

I think i saw this posted in the flyinside forum.. maybe that was you? :)  I guess theres been no solution on that one yet?  I have the 767 which i have yet to try (FF)... wonder if the same happens

On the textures causing fps to max out..  I have been doing some GPUZ checking on vram used.. seems that Vram usage is (naturally) much higher when FI is going on..

With mine set to "high" textures and running in 2D (non vr) as a test..
I see 928MB loaded in XP.. while the Memory used is 3452..

Then i fire up VR..
I see 740mb loaded in XP (high again).. while the memory used is 6386 at 3840 FI res  (basically double)

I then increased textures to maximum and
I see 1804 mb loaded in XP.. while the memory used is 7285 at 3840 FI res
***with this mode i'm seeing 54% gpu use and only 13% cpu for x-plane.exe (this doesnt seem right, at least on the cpu, why so low).

If i run 1080 mode in 2D and with 2SSA+FXAA and reflections on medium instead of low and shadows on scenery checked.... and set to maximum the textures.. i see 4779MB used in gpuz and 1905MB in XP.. meanwhile GPU is at 39% and cpu is up to 30% 

Yes that was me. Did not solve that one. The issue that is bothering me the most though is the Hypoxia/Blackout scenario that happens with every Jetliner, being the default 737 or the IXEG 737-300. I cannot successfully complete a longer flight (2 hours +) without the screen going completely black. I´ve reached out to multiple developers and the pressurization bug is acknowledged, but the screen only seems to go black when using VR. That was also reproduced by the devs on Flyinside. Waiting for a fix as I cannot use XP11 with VR right now. Tried everything already.

Regarding the other issues, I did not have any FPS problems until now. I do have a texture flickering thing that is quite annoying. It is very noticeable in NY area with the addon from Drzewieck.

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

Updated to Pb8 from pb6, i find about 5-6 fps increase.

I tried to set to 4xAA in Sim + 3840, still drops to like 67 on atw and 27 for sim rate.. too low.. vram at about 7600 and gpu 70-90%.. tried 2x in sim with 8x FI and frame rate is around 29 fps (NYCX DD clear weather) and with 2x in sim and 4x about 33 fps,  whereas with AA off in sim and 8x in FI before i was 40 fps with pb6 (and 46 or so with pb8).. so 2x isnt bad though i'm not sure i see much improvement in shimmering even with 2x enabled.

I do think that there is far less shimmering with 2x AA turned on in sim, either way.  4x is still too much for this video card though.