Sign in to follow this  
Poppet

Prepar3D V3.4 Hotfix 2 Released v 3.4 ( 19475 )

I just did a fresh format and re installation of Windows 10.  Then I downloaded and installed the latest version of Prepar3D from the LM website, not aware of the SLI issues being reported.  I have two 780's in SLI, and the first time I launched the simulator it was absolutely unplayable.  The next time I launched the game, it hung on the loading screen at 100%.  After disabling SLI, the sim performed as you would expect from a single gtx 780. 

I certainly hope this issue gets fixed soon, since I didn't backup my previous version of P3D before restoring my computer.  

As it is now, P3D v 3.4 with hotfixes is an unworkable and unusable platform for those customers who were encouraged and supported in SLI. We need help and a solution for our P3D SLI situation.

Hi Stephen,

We can only hope. What I find discouraging is that there is very little current activity over on the P3D forums regarding SLI issues. I tried (Dec 18), but my post was met with a stony silence from LM and so has slipped into obscurity. Cynically one is tempted to believe that this might be deliberate policy. After all, how hard would it have been to provide a brief indication about where they are with these matters?

It would appear that our voices may carry little weight with LM and we might conclude that our main ally's expressed speculations about NVIDIA's future plans regarding SLI has prompted a pre-emptive switch to a single card solution thereby removing any real incentive to pursue these matters further on our behalf.

However, I'm still trying to remain positive about all this. It is entirely possible, indeed likely, that there are those in the P3D Development team who pop over from time to time to read our posts here at AVSIM. Fingers crossed these will have had some constructive impact assuming, that is, their attentions are not being wholly distracted by the presumed upcoming release of their 64bit version.

As far as I am concerned one thing is clear. Assuming this does get sorted out, I will be one who will probably decide to avoid future disappointments and frustrations by remaining with a working stable 3.x, which currently provides all I am ever likely to need, rather than yielding to temptations persuading the move to 64bit.

Regards,

Mike

I certainly hope this issue gets fixed soon, since I didn't backup my previous version of P3D before restoring my computer.

An option for you these days since LM finally realized people might want to roll back to an earlier version is to go to your account over at LM where you should now be able to find not only the latest version but also previous versions.

Richard Åsberg

An option for you these days since LM finally realized people might want to roll back to an earlier version is to go to your account over at LM where you should now be able to find not only the latest version but also previous versions.

Thank you for this tip.  Is this as easy as uninstalling and installing the Legacy Client Installer?  

Not sure if you can simply replace the current version modules with the older version modules.

Personally I did a complete fresh install of P3D to make sure to get rid of any traces of 3.4.

I guess you could start by trying to simply replace the current modules and if that doesn't work just do a complete wipe of P3D. Be sure though to deactivate your P3D license by uninstalling the client before you do anything else regardless what approach you choose to avoid sitting there with a locked license...

Richard Åsberg

Is this as easy as uninstalling and installing the Legacy Client Installer?

Yes, providing you are currently running a version in the 3.x series. You will note that I too am running in SLI and find the sim performs very well (bar the flickering NVIDIA driver related issues noted from time to time) with the 376.33 driver set.

A complete fresh install is not necessary and, certainly, undesirable if you are heavily loaded with addons.

Mike

Well well well!

Since nothing works anyway, might as well break another precedent:

"My sim is not better than your sim!"

Kindest regards,

I upraded to 3.4 when it was first released and ran into more issues than I ever had with any previous version of any flight simulator. I then walked through fire both over at LM as well as in here to get back to 3.2.

Now back on 3.2 I have zero issues. I haven't seen one single VAS issue despite using very complex add-ons such as the NGX, Orbx Global Vector, FlyTampa's latest EHAM scenery to mention just a few. And this is using mid to high settings both in P3D as well as for my add-ons.

At this point I won't touch anything from LM until/if they release a 64-bit version and I'll hold off with that one too until the smoke has cleared.

I prefer enjoying my products rather than spending my time troubleshooting and paying big money only to be a guinea Pig.

So...by now you should have guessed my advice is stay with 3.2 and forget about 3.4 and enjoy your working sim instead.

Based on your experience, I too went back to 3.2 and have not regretted it for one moment.

Yesterday I completed a flight from addon KSEA in Orbx PNW to addon KLAX in Orbx SCA, in the PMDG 737NGX, AS16, ASCA, 35% MyTraffic. Free VAS was low but stayed more than 300K, which was all it needed, so no OOM, and smooth FPS all the way - I have never been able to do that before. 3.2 seems to be able to 'scrub' sufficient used storage in order to maintain a buffer reserve.

The only downside is that I'm going to have to install a back-level version of the Majestic Dash, because the current version won't work with 3.2.

Petraeus

Posted Today, 03:53 PM

Well well well!

Since nothing works anyway, might as well break another precedent:

"My sim is not better than your sim!"

Too deep for me, Stephen!

Not sure if those remarks were a reaction to one of my recent contributions. If so, then you will see from my rig specs that I have not been hotfixed so luckily ducked the consequences (in which case I suppose my SLI'd sim could be regarded as being better than your hotfixed SLI'd sim). If not, then I apologise. It's perhaps a shame that LM have not provided access to this version of 3.4 as it seems okay to me....apart from those driver issues, as I said.

Regards,

Mike

Hi Stephen,

We can only hope. What I find discouraging is that there is very little current activity over on the P3D forums regarding SLI issues. I tried (Dec 18), but my post was met with a stony silence from LM and so has slipped into obscurity. Cynically one is tempted to believe that this might be deliberate policy. After all, how hard would it have been to provide a brief indication about where they are with these matters?

It would appear that our voices may carry little weight with LM and we might conclude that our main ally's expressed speculations about NVIDIA's future plans regarding SLI has prompted a pre-emptive switch to a single card solution thereby removing any real incentive to pursue these matters further on our behalf.

However, I'm still trying to remain positive about all this. It is entirely possible, indeed likely, that there are those in the P3D Development team who pop over from time to time to read our posts here at AVSIM. Fingers crossed these will have had some constructive impact assuming, that is, their attentions are not being wholly distracted by the presumed upcoming release of their 64bit version.

As far as I am concerned one thing is clear. Assuming this does get sorted out, I will be one who will probably decide to avoid future disappointments and frustrations by remaining with a working stable 3.x, which currently provides all I am ever likely to need, rather than yielding to temptations persuading the move to 64bit.

Regards,

Mike

I don't use SLI but I certainly agree with the lack of involvement on the P3D forums.

One thing that has struck me though, is that while many people seem to post here about issues with P3D, few of those post on the LM P3D forums. Reading through those forums seems to reflect a falsely low number of people having issues. Maybe why LM often seem less concerned than we would like them to be.

John B

Too deep for me, Stephen!

Not sure if those remarks were a reaction to one of my recent contributions. If so, then you will see from my rig specs that I have not been hotfixed so luckily ducked the consequences (in which case I suppose my SLI'd sim could be regarded as being better than your hotfixed SLI'd sim). If not, then I apologise. It's perhaps a shame that LM have not provided access to this version of 3.4 as it seems okay to me....apart from those driver issues, as I said.

Regards,

Mike

Hi Mike,

:smile:  Your comments are great! I was referring to how many threads become a "My sim is better than your sim" that results in the same saws cutting both ways until a moderator shuts it down. :smile: 

Pick a sim, any sim, and it works better than mine does right now! My comment was supposed to be funny, but timing is everything, and my timing was off and the joke bombed! =@ 

Back to chipping ice off the driveway that is more fun than flying a broken sim, believe it or not. (just kidding, sort of)

Kind regards,

Based on your experience, I too went back to 3.2 and have not regretted it for one moment.

Yesterday I completed a flight from addon KSEA in Orbx PNW to addon KLAX in Orbx SCA, in the PMDG 737NGX, AS16, ASCA, 35% MyTraffic. Free VAS was low but stayed more than 300K, which was all it needed, so no OOM, and smooth FPS all the way - I have never been able to do that before. 3.2 seems to be able to 'scrub' sufficient used storage in order to maintain a buffer reserve.

The only downside is that I'm going to have to install a back-level version of the Majestic Dash, because the current version won't work with 3.2.

Happy to hear about your success!

It is nice being able to actually enjoy yourself instead of troubleshooting and feeling constantly afraid your flight will end with you on the desktop rather than parked at a gate at your destination.

I don't use SLI but I certainly agree with the lack of involvement on the P3D forums.

One thing that has struck me though, is that while many people seem to post here about issues with P3D, few of those post on the LM P3D forums. Reading through those forums seems to reflect a falsely low number of people having issues. Maybe why LM often seem less concerned than we would like them to be.

I tried posting over at LM's forums a couple of times but I wasn't very impressed with the response/input/feedback I got and I guess I'm not the only one with that experience which would explain why most people prefer to ventilate over here instead.

Richard Åsberg

I'm sorry I don't have time to look into why my SLI works at the moment.  I am being completely honest.  I had an issue with SLI about 3 weeks ago.  I posted here about it, it was in a thread about Nvidia's driver release at the beginning of December; it killed my SLI.  About a week or 10 days ago I made a clean Windows installation, Installed NVidia Drivers and the latest Prepar3d, and now SLI works. 

With my "data", please understand that I do not see the reason for all the griping about Prepar3d software, when from my "SLI functioning perspective", the evidence that Prepar3d has an issue with SLI does not hold up 100%.  Now my debugging eye might point to that I am on an older 3770 and Maxwell 780 chipsets ... and it makes me wonder if Prepar3d maybe did something in "stub code" that affects the latest Nvidia cards, or latest CPUs .... In other words i see a differentiation between my experience and what others *may* be.   But the chance of Prepar3d code being ruinous for SLI is no more than that of Intel (chipset drivers ... updated by Intel through Windows update) Microsoft, or Nvidia updates.  There needs to be further differentiating by the Administrator of Prepar3d on the various differentiated platforms before we automatically incriminate Lockheed Martin. IM-HO.

FYI, my debugging "instincts" are actually pointing to the chipset updates.  No evidence other than the chain of experiences ... Microsoft did a big update before Nvidia did, where things borked.  I don't actually know anything about the update, just a sense of how my system felt, with the 3 or 4 vms I run on it, immediately after.  I find that getting into feelings about who to blame don't really help me focus on what actually happened and how to fix it.  It's not very motivating to work solutions with that method either.  I just simply made a pot of coffee one day, looked for notes on how to do a Windows clean install, and got to work.  Sucks, but so does farming (unless you're just a nephew visiting ... or really like farming.  Sometimes I think I really would).

Hi denali,

Until we see other reports like yours it would appear that you may be in a minority of one. We are not trying to suggest you are pulling the wool over our eyes as your experience seems clear enough. Why that should be while many more with an SLI configuration have fallen foul of the 19475 hotfix update is still without explanation, but the complaints started to appear soon after the release of said update. That cannot be a coincidence.

Regards,

Mike

I tried posting over at LM's forums a couple of times but I wasn't very impressed with the response/input/feedback I got and I guess I'm not the only one with that experience which would explain why most people prefer to ventilate over here instead.

I agree with that feeling about the LM forums.They never were great, and now feel very dated.  The forum layout has never been very logical or user friendly. The search system has always been hopeless, and any information released by LM on workarounds or fixes has never been organised into any kind of indexed reference system that could be easily accessed.

It feels like LM made the assumption that all P3D users would be computer and flight sim experts, requiring minimal information, support or guidance. If it were not for a number of very helpful expert users like 'Poppet' and Rob, more people would be struggling. And it's very noticeable that the interaction from LM has declined significantly compared to the early days.

I didn't intend this to be a rant, but I have become increasingly disappointed.

• Upvote 1

John B