Sign in to follow this  
Jim Young

777 Nearly Slams into Mt Wilson after LAX takeoff

Appears this 777 got very, very close to Mt Wilson after takeoff!!

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2016/12/19/jumbo-jets-low-turn-on-wrong-course-startles-neighborhood/

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Wow, thank god it ended ok.

I remember Dean Martin's son crashed into the mountains near Big Bear when he was flying an F-4 Phantom out of March AFB in SoCal. Low vis snow storm and crashed into the San Bernardino mountains killing him and his WSO.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Controller was really bad.  Can't understand why she would say turn southbound instead of turn right 180 or some other vector.  Very confusing for the crew.

The video below matches up the flight track with audio.  Aircraft basically went around the mountain well below the height of the peak.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFdXax7Zh_g&t=21s

• Upvote 2

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Agree.  She was bad.  I think a real world pilot explained it properly at the following link - http://avherald.com/h?article=4a25c5e6 (see last comment).  He states it is common when taking off from Runways 24 and 25 for the controller to tell them to turn left 180 degrees and she probably automatically gave that instruction to the EVA pilot w/o thinking the pilot took off from the RW 7 instead.

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

The initial mistake was one thing and that can happen but the way it was corrected was really unbelievable.  I wonder what the crew was thinking as the Terrain warnings were going off and red Terrain data was taking over their screen.  I am quite surprised they did not declare an emergency and advise the controller they were taking evasive action to either climb or turn or both in order to get to safety.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

According to some calculation based on data publicly available (so not 100% exact), the shortest distance between the 773 and the Mt. Wilson peak was just 0.3 nm (3 sec flying time).
Imagine only the slightest change in conditions and we would have had a crash.

Source:
http://avherald.com/h?article=4a25c5e6&opt=0
3 seconds to impact
By justin on Wednesday, Dec 21st 2016 12:08Z

Controller was really bad.  Can't understand why she would say turn southbound instead of turn right 180 or some other vector. Very confusing for the crew.

Quite. Standard RT anyone?

Oh no, I forgot, this is the USA. Talk as fast as humanly possible, make sure you sound cool, no need to listen to readbacks and if the pilot doesn't understand just mock them, berate them and keep repeating the same phrase until they do (or don't, but hey, that's their problem, right?).

Accident waiting to happen. Just glad it wasn't this time.

Talk as fast as humanly possible, make sure you sound cool, no need to listen to readbacks and if the pilot doesn't understand just mock them, berate them and keep repeating the same phrase until they do (or don't, but hey, that's their problem, right?).

Now that controller was totally out of line!!  I hope he's no longer there!!

Submit News to AVSIM

I wonder what the age of the 777 was, in regards to it's navigation/terrain screens. There was a point, about six years ago, in which a 777 pilot/instructor wanted to fly a mountainous cross country in my plane, to check out the Garmin with satellite weather, and full terrain mapping. Without doubt, my Garmin would have been red with flashing X's that I would be seeing as soon as I lifted off the runway. My Garmin also had runway mapping for most major airports, that many commercial airliners didn't at the time.  

Oh no, I forgot, this is the USA. Talk as fast as humanly possible, make sure you sound cool, no need to listen to readbacks and if the pilot doesn't understand just mock them, berate them and keep repeating the same phrase until they do (or don't, but hey, that's their problem, right?).

Theres a reason the FAA and the US has and still is the gold standard for aviation around the world.

you sound like a complete idiot when you make comments like these. Take your hate for the US elsewhere.

Now that controller was totally out of line!! I hope he's no longer there!!

There was nothing out of line in the way that controller handled that. First off, its JFK. a huge mess of an airport. you guys act like being a controller is a cake walk. Try working ground and having this guy come on the radio who cant even speak english. LEARN ENGLISH! ITS THE ICAO standard language. Its now the controllers problem because he has to repeat aomething five or six times instead of once.

Its ridiculous that you two would actually judge and criticize the controller and not even mention the pilot getting every instruction wrong.

These controllers dont have time for this kind of crap. They also dont have time for pilots who arent listening. They are juggling at least 6 to 10 fifferent airplanes.

When im flying, i want a controller who is going to get things done and not worry aboit other peoples feelings.

As for the incident in LA, the controller is extremely lucky. Im glad it didnt end much worse. Its a very good lesson in complacency that both pilots and controllers can use to make themselves better.

• Upvote 3

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

Oh no, I forgot, this is the USA. Talk as fast as humanly possible, make sure you sound cool, no need to listen to readbacks and if the pilot doesn't understand just

(or don't, but hey, that's their problem, right?).

you mean like DTW?

Brendan R, KDXR PHNL KJFK

Type rated: SF34 / DH8 (Q400) / DC9 717 MD-88/ B767 (CFI/II/MEI/ATP)

Majestic Software Q400 Beta Team / Pilot Consultant / Twitter @violinvelocity