Sign in to follow this  
Richard Sennett

Beta 3 is out...

XPD-6851 Fix sky color through alpha texture in HDR mode

I think/hope this means the trees will be fixed and not look really strange :-)

Brakes should work now...

Too bad they didn't fix the 60 degree scenery 'bug'...I really enjoy flying Alaska.

I see it's still on the bug list, but did they fix it?

I hope I did!

It is not fixed. Ben said that they need to recut the scenery for that and they will do this at the end of beta.

All of these things fixed, or so they say, but I see nothing about the terrible framerates.

All of these things fixed, or so they say, but I see nothing about the terrible framerates.

because they specifically said they will go in performance related issues once everything else is sorted out.

you dont paint your house when you are still building it.

• Upvote 8

A few good ones on the list. Still missing the completion of the night sky, i.e. stars and moon with HDR. Maybe that will be left for RC, and hopefully not forgotten along the way. 

Hans

Speaking of nVidia and GPUs, the AMD Radeon RX 480 has altogether closed the gap between its own, and in many cases, exceeded the performance of its nearest competitor, the nVidia GTX 1060, just through nothing but driver updates:

Framerates in XP11 are exceptionally good. You probably need to lower your settings. All on max (except shadows, they're a dog) is completely possible on potent hardware (that was not the case with XP10 on launch).

Speaking of nVidia and GPUs, the AMD Radeon RX 480 has altogether closed the gap between its own, and in many cases, exceeded the performance of its nearest competitor, the nVidia GTX 1060, just through nothing but driver updates:

Well, the 1060 is a low end card. I wouldn't touch ATI for X-Plane. 

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

the issue has never been due to the cards being crap but more to the fact that ati constantly neglects the opengl drivers

Yep, AMD has some great cards, particularly for the price.  And they work great in every single program, game, simulator I've tried except X-Plane (10 & 11).  Even P3D runs like a champ.  OpenGL performance is just fine as well, take the new Doom released this year.  It runs great on AMD hardware.

X-Plane just has broken support for whatever reason when running on an AMD card.  Its quite annoying, and will most likely have me going back to a stable sim platform, P3D.

And yes, I've reported this and have gone round and round with support, to no avail so far.  Haven't given up, but I doubt it's a priority for them.

Is silly they'll only support one brand of GPU yet won't mention that in system requirements.

the issue has never been due to the cards being crap but more to the fact that ati constantly neglects the opengl drivers

Maybe in the past, and it's an easy comment to make, but I just don't see it anymore after running an AMD card these past six months.  Other OpenGL stuff runs fine other than X-Plane 10/11.  The drivers support OpenGL 4.5

The problem is we aren't talking a 5-15% loss in performance to a comparable Nvidia card.... it's 200-300% or more.

But any who, I'll go back in my cave. :Party:  

stable sim platform, P3D

An oxymoron that is.

• Upvote 4

-

In the fix list missing "Add more graphic setting" (gamma value setting, cars & trees setting, etc.)

• Upvote 1

Creatore di * FS9 Supersky * ( plugin Atmo Ambient Environment ).
* XP11 atmoXphere * (
Atmo Ambient Environment plugin ) creatore.

-------------------------------------------------- ---------------------
Pc intel i3-4160 3.6ghz, 8gb ram, (new) GeForce RTX-3060 12gb, Win10 Home 64bit
--------------- --------------------------------------------------------

An oxymoron that is.

So someone comes out and says their AMD card works perfectly with everything but XP, whereas I could say that my nvidia works perfectly with everything but P3D. Are we to assume that the gpu is the root cause of one sim not working as good as another, or are their dark forces at work?  I though someone once posted a thread about how even XP11 was still rather dependent on the cpu than the gpu?

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

So someone comes out and says their AMD card works perfectly with everything but XP, whereas I could say that my nvidia works perfectly with everything but P3D. Are we to assume that the gpu is the root cause of one sim not working as good as another, or are their dark forces at work?  I though someone once posted a thread about how even XP11 was still rather dependent on the cpu than the gpu?

I'd love somebody to tell me it's something else or find a fix, but I'm running an i7-6700K.  Anyway, won't derail this thread, as I've begged for help in other threads.  And yes, I own and like all the sim platforms and don't understand the hostility between the user base at times.  We all want to have fun flying airplanes on our computers after all.  :smile:

• Upvote 1

In the fix list missing "Add more graphic setting" (gamma value setting, cars & trees setting, etc.)

Yep. But it won't happen. It's just Laminar's way of thinking. It makes a lot of sense, but it's a pain for experienced users.

XP11 was still rather dependent on the cpu than the gpu?

It's much easier: X-Plane requires a high end CPU, and a high end GPU. Either one lacking will make you unhappy.

hostility

No hostility at all. Plain fact. A 32-Bit platform just can't be stable by design. Not in the flight sim world, where add-ons are considered unavoidable.

-