Sign in to follow this  
Richard Sennett

Beta 3 is out...

Is anyone able to taxi/takeoff in the 172 without full right rudder and aileron? I have a Saitek X52 Pro and cannot no matter how many times I calibrate. The problem still exists in V3.

Maybe in the past, and it's an easy comment to make, but I just don't see it anymore after running an AMD card these past six months.  Other OpenGL stuff runs fine other than X-Plane 10/11.  The drivers support OpenGL 4.5

The problem is we aren't talking a 5-15% loss in performance to a comparable Nvidia card.... it's 200-300% or more.

Yes. So it is very likely that the OpenGL Driver of AMD cards simply pushed one of the core functions of X-Plane into the CPU. That's something that only the OpenGL driver can control. And if it pushed for example the Indexing function to the CPU X-Plane would be in severe trouble. Games like Doom probably don´t use this function, or at least to a much smaller degree. But X-Plane, as any flight simulator has to show multiple, identical objects at the same time.

• Upvote 1

I don't know what the LR dev team did, but now all my airports are working great.

Thanks LR for b3. default_wub.png

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Is anyone able to taxi/takeoff in the 172 without full right rudder and aileron? I have a Saitek X52 Pro and cannot no matter how many times I calibrate. The problem still exists in V3.

Would assume you went into sensitivity settings and move the axis you want to change you will see which sliders are moving for that axis - slide it to the opposite side to compensate for the issue

I don't know what the LR dev team did, but now all my airports are working great.

Thanks LR for b3. default_wub.png

What was wrong with them ? I havent seen any issues

Rich Sennett

Taxi and takeoff with the 172 works fine here with just a light touch on the rudder pedal. I'm using maybe 10-15% of the full pedal travel with Saitek Pro Combat pedals.

If it isn't a calibration/assignment issue, then make sure you don't have a strong crosswind set in either the base sim or a weather add-on. Delete all wind layers and reset to your current location to clear the weather.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Yes. So it is very likely that the OpenGL Driver of AMD cards simply pushed one of the core functions of X-Plane into the CPU. That's something that only the OpenGL driver can control. And if it pushed for example the Indexing function to the CPU X-Plane would be in severe trouble. Games like Doom probably don´t use this function, or at least to a much smaller degree. But X-Plane, as any flight simulator has to show multiple, identical objects at the same time.

Something like that maybe.  Been sending logs to Laminar through email the past week, I have noticed during testing that on my AMD desktop, simply turning on the default avionics in any airplane drops the fps about 10-15 frames in both XP10 & 11.  Hoping this might give them a clue, no idea what it means though.  On my two Nvidia laptops (which are much slower but perform better in XP) I get no drop (maybe 1 fps) when turning on the default avionics.  Hopefully it's something they can figure out.

Is anyone able to taxi/takeoff in the 172 without full right rudder and aileron?

Yes, I have this issue also ... tried calibration multiple times and adjusting sensitivity, but seems to be issue primarily with C172.  I can sit on a taxiway and do nothing (throttle min) with parking brake on and the default C172 will just slowly rotate around 360 indefinitely.  It's almost as if the engine is generating 1000X more torque than it really does -- I have flown real world 172 and takeoff in light to moderate crosswinds doesn't require full rudder so I'm assuming this is just a bug in the default 172 flight model.

Sky banding issue still present.  

Shadows still very blocky.  

Not seeing any cloud shadows.  

Water/waves seems unchanged, still flat with strange surface reflection.

Per Rich's comment, save your control settings prior to update or else they will get wiped out.

Can't complain, still Beta and they did address a long list of issues ... hopefully they'll get to these other issues before it's deemed "ready".

Cheers, Rob.

Sky banding issue still present.  

Shadows still very blocky.  

Not seeing any cloud shadows.  

Water/waves seems unchanged, still flat with strange surface reflection.

Ben has stated that all graphical glitches (I think the 3D waves are a new feature for later) are last on his list. They're probably also the hardest to fix. But I think it's ok. With a cloud addon it's already looking sublime, the ancient banding issue (it's only pronounced in XP11) is the only real bummer. The new fog in combination with SSAO is fantastic! Also performance is already very decent even before they optimized it.

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

Yes, I have this issue also ... tried calibration multiple times and adjusting sensitivity, but seems to be issue primarily with C172.  I can sit on a taxiway and do nothing (throttle min) with parking brake on and the default C172 will just slowly rotate around 360 indefinitely.  It's almost as if the engine is generating 1000X more torque than it really does -- I have flown real world 172 and takeoff in light to moderate crosswinds doesn't require full rudder so I'm assuming this is just a bug in the default 172 flight model.

It can't be a bug in the flight model if others aren't seeing it. As I mentioned above, I just need a light touch of right pedal when taxiing or takeoff roll with the 172.

So I think it's either calibration, or XP11 is reading different controllers differently, or the user has a crosswind that's affecting it. Ground behavior with any wind at all is a bit spooky at times. 

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

It can't be a bug in the flight model if others aren't seeing it. As I mentioned above, I just need a light touch of right pedal when taxiing or takeoff roll with the 172.

So I think it's either calibration, or XP11 is reading different controllers differently, or the user has a crosswind that's affecting it. Ground behavior with any wind at all is a bit spooky at times. 

Yep, same here, I don't have the C172 issue either.  Take-offs just require a little right rudder pressure, same as always.

I have tried B3 on both my desktop with Warthog HOTAS and CH Pro Pedals as well as one of my laptops flying with just a mouse/keyboard.  Neither required excessive rudder input.

This is in clear weather at Seattle.

Also performance is already very decent even before they optimized it.

I'll disagree with you there, at 4K is just "ok" (but certainly MUCH better than XP10 performance) and the addition of volumetric waves and cloud shadows and better shadow quality is going to come with a performance cost (that's just unavoidable as pixel manipulation is never free) ... so once XP11 is complete, I do have real concerns over FPS at 4K res (on fairly high end hardware).  SSAO with heavy weather in some aircraft can drop FPS considerably ... but agree that SSAO most definitely does look better.  Don't get me wrong XP11 is still a big step forward on the performance front relative to XP10.

I was hoping for MORE graphics settings options rather than less so I could tune performance and maximize my hardware ... with XP11 I actually have less control than with XP10.  I'm all for a more simple UI, but the best of both worlds can be achieved by providing an "advanced" button (like many titles do) giving users more options.

Cheers, Rob.

EDIT: I'll do a quick video at KSEA, clear with C172 ... my pedals are Saitek Cessna Pro.  You can see the aircraft just keep rotating around without any input from me.  I'll run a simple testing without the Saitek Rudders assigned and see if the problem persists.  But even if this were a controller bug and reading values incorrectly, I'm not moving so full left or full right rudder should have no impact when stationary with parking brake on.

My performance went up compared to X-Plane 10, with higher settings, now with SSAO and reflections as well. So I'm personally very impressed with the performance. 

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

Is there a way to save and restore my HOTAS switch and axis assignments without having to re-enter them?

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

Is there a way to save and restore my HOTAS switch and axis assignments without having to re-enter them?

I think these are saved in Output--> Preferences and after i updated to Beta3 there was no need to re enter them.

X-Plane11

GTX1070 8GB Vram - i7 4770K cpu @3.5GHz Quad core - 16GB RAM