Sign in to follow this  
waleed

SSD died(?) help please

So today I lost my D drive (P3D), or so I think. :cray:

I cannot locate it, and unplugged and re plugged it in to no avail.

W7, and it is an "older" Patriot Wildfire 480GB ssd.

I was wondering the following:

1- Is it dead, or are there "ways" to revive it somehow?

2- If dead, can I retrieve files, and how?

3- If dead, is it ok for me to say s>#@% you electrical circuitry and all the scientific mumbo jumbo describing the innards of an ssd. :lol:

I am mainly interested in one file, and that is my AI file for UT2.

I finally got to finishing all the repaints I could find (after a long 6+ months, or 2 years depending on how you count lol) and was going to (sob sob) save the file to an external today. :Shocked:

I am not in the mood to search all over again, and re download, and edit, and .....

Well, you get the point I hope, and with kids and a heavy dose of work I really want it back.

Please save me if possible, and yes I did check out the search function online for advice and found nothing too helpful.

Thanks for any and all help/ advice ahead of time.

Waleed N

It could be dead, or it could simply be a SATA cable lose. if not lose, I would try a different cable just in case.

What normally happens when an SSD fails is that you can read from it but not write to it. So do checlk that cable and also check its configured in the UEFI.

Driver issues can also cause this.

Thanks for the heads up Martin, I will try to get a new cable then.

I will also look for new drivers, though I believe they discontinued the line.

If nothing else, then good to know I can at least  hopefully salvage the one file.

Waleed N

Another possibility is a problem with the HDD controller on the mobo...on many boards there is more than one.  In addition to changing the cables (don't forget the power cable, too), changing the SATA port may help.  If the drive is connected to a secondary drive controller, try connecting it to a port that is on the other controller.

Regards

• Upvote 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

If it's an early model SSD, I would assume it's the drive until proven otherwise.

Cheers!

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

Another possibility is a problem with the HDD controller on the mobo...on many boards there is more than one.  In addition to changing the cables (don't forget the power cable, too), changing the SATA port may help.  If the drive is connected to a secondary drive controller, try connecting it to a port that is on the other controller.

Regards

1+  try this for sure

Rich Sennett

Well, it was connected "on its own".

It is a 2.5" SATAiii 6GBS that is old (4 years or so).

I will get the cable and try another drive tonight I hope (Dubai time).

And we just got the update for P3D lol.

I forgot to mention that the evening before, I opened the computer icon to see something and it was blank and showed no drives at all.

I had to restart for it to see the drives.

Not sure if that helps pinpoint any cause.

Like I said, my main concern if it is broke is to try and get back all the repaints for the AI.

Either way, if not it means I get to download "newer" more fsx type repaints so not the worst I guess.

Waleed N

Ok, so I connected my C drive (W7) into  slot and it was working fine.

I connected D (RIP???) in place of C drive (connections) and nothing.

I tried all different ports and sadly nothing, and it did not show in bios, nor did it show in Disk management.

So dead?

Can I find a way to retrieve a folder, or do I need to take it in for that ($$$$$)/

Waleed N

Ok, so I connected my C drive (W7) into  slot and it was working fine.

I connected D (RIP???) in place of C drive (connections) and nothing.

I tried all different ports and sadly nothing, and it did not show in bios, nor did it show in Disk management.

So dead?

Can I find a way to retrieve a folder, or do I need to take it in for that ($$$$$)/

I tried taking it in once waste of money your hosed - got back a few things huge waste of money - you can try but dont expect to get it all back 

Rich Sennett

That is what I was afraid of Rich.

I just want the one AI repaint folder lol, but hey no guarantees and not worth it.

Guess I will just need a new ssd, and hop UT3 will be out soon.

Thanks to everyone for their help and advice.

Happy and safe Holidays to all.

Waleed N

That is what I was afraid of Rich.

I just want the one AI repaint folder lol, but hey no guarantees and not worth it.

Guess I will just need a new ssd, and hop UT3 will be out soon.

Thanks to everyone for their help and advice.

Happy and safe Holidays to all.

Sorry to hear you lost your info no fun - try to move on hard but you will :wink:  what I do is backup very important stuff on a couple of hard drives - Happy Holidays  :wink:

Rich Sennett