Sign in to follow this  
theskyisthelimit

XP11.. how to turn on cockpit lighting?

To help battle VR + flyinside lack of brightness in the cockpit (HDR fps issue as well).. i thought maybe for overcast situations simply turning on the cockpit lights would help.. however i feel stupid.. not only can i not find the right switch in the cockpit, but i'm unsure what the keyboard command or generic command in the listing would be for this?

Thanks in advance

• Upvote 1

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there is a generic command for toggling cockpit lights. I've always done that with a mouse click or click-drag on the appropriate switches in the cockpit for each plane. So you need to either read the plane manual for the location, or just keep looking for the right switch if there is no manual.

In the new default 172 you click-drag on the little black knobs near the overhead lights. They don't get much brighter, but it does work. I'm not sure how accurate that is.

It might be that X-Plane does it this way because some planes have more involved cockpit lighting than just a single switch, and can also be dimmed like the separate lights in the 172. So they leave it up to the plane designer. The lights that are always present in a plane and are basically on/off like strobe, taxi, landing lights are available as assigned commands.

Now watch; someone will jump in and tell me I've been missing an obvious key command that does this.  :smile:

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

They are individually modeled I think

For starters though, assign a button or key to "red flashlight," an often overlooked function of XP. Will help you locate switches in the dark

• Upvote 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

They are individually modeled I think

For starters though, assign a button or key to "red flashlight," an often overlooked function of XP. Will help you locate switches in the dark

I'll give you a + vote for that one Ryan, but I am having a serious case of deja vous over this question...I know I've seen it posted on the forum recently, just can't put my finger on who it was.

EDIT:  Ah yes, found it:

http://www.avsim.com/topic/500043-lighting-in-x-plane-11-default-737-800-so-dark-at-night/

The AVSIM search can be a very valuable resource. :)

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

I have a problem with my Baron B58X - Double Trouble_v1.1.1. When the cockpit is too dark, as the flood lights are not effective. I don't have throttles hardware, and I don't see any engine handles in the cockpit.

As I like that aircraft very much and I don't want to be limited to daylight operations, I had to solve this problem.

This is the solution I found, not elegant but effective.
1. Open "Settings".
2. "Active Profile": Baron B58 (previously created by milself)
3. "Keyboard+Views+View Tools+Toggle the white flashlight" and I asigned CONTROL+N.
4. Press "Done".

I did the same procedure to all the aircraft profiles I have.

When I need to start engine(s) and manipulate Prop Pitch or Mixture handles in a dark cockpit, I use my white flashlight.

You can see the resuts here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/sxrck2cuchhh78i/white%20flashlight.png?dl=0

Edited by fatbird