Sign in to follow this  
JWMuller

Where is the FSX.cfg?

I had lost my FS hard drive a couple months ago.  I have since then upgraded to Win10.  I installed FSX on a new drive and fired it up.  I had been smart and saved my entire USER folder prior to fresh Win10 install.  MOST of my programs worked fine after the win10 install using the user folder and data from win7.  However, FSX was not one of them.  It loaded ok..but kept updating the graphics files every start up.  I could load a flight and start up...but usually within 1-3 minutes the graphics went all nuts and the program crashed.  I had, back when I ran FSX 3-6 hours most days, tweaked the heck out of the cfg file to get the best possible performance with all my graphics upgrades and scenery upgrades.  Long story short (too late).....deleting the old fsx.cfg file fixed my issues...  It now runs like it should have right out of the box.  :)   Amazing what that little file can do to screw things up...and what an easy fix it is to just delete it.

Where can I find this fsx.cfg file and do i delete it?

Where can I find this fsx.cfg file and do i delete it?

The FSX.cfg is in a hidden folder so the best explanation I can give you is to look at the AVSIM CTD Guide, page 5 and 6 (see link to the guide in my signature).  The guide has instructions plus an image.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Dear Jim Young, 

I am not a computer expert so I cant find the problem that is making FSX CTD.  So heres the log that a got from the event viewer:

Faulting application name: fsx.exe, version: 10.0.61472.0, time stamp: 0x475e17d3
Faulting module name: uiautomationcore.dll, version: 7.2.14393.479, time stamp: 0x5825700e
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00056ca9
Faulting process id: 0x1d3c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d25c0e1c74ea71
Faulting application path: D:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\uiautomationcore.dll
Report Id: bdb01679-5f84-4268-b5a3-5ec14db51304
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

You'll not be surprised to hear that uiautomationcore.dll, version: 7.2.14393.479 is not strictly compatible with FSX on new operating systems. So you can place UIAutomationcore.dll version: 6.0.5840.16386 in your "D:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\" folder which FSX will pick up instead. In some circumstances it may not cure your problem, but then that would be a fault with some other function. Whatever the outcome leave 6.0.5840.16386 in your Program Files\FSX folder.

UIAutomationcore.dll version: 6.0.5840.16386

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

why would you want to do that?

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\uiautomationcore.dll is the system version: 7.2.14393.479 as the report says, that's the dll the sim (and possibly other program) usually loads when it runs. if you put version: 6.0.5840.16386 in the folder fsx finds that one first and loads it in preference to the system one which as you know is not strictly compatible with good old fsx.

even though it reports a fault in a file that does not mean it is faulty, it could be it's the wrong version (in our case it is) or it has been used incorrectly by a calling app (which it can also be).

Will it fix my problem? thats my main question!

and so you have to put that file there and try it out. if it does not cure your problem then you look elsewhere. leave it there even so. as I said before.

no, of course not I never get errors, so neither should you. i hate to have to labour the point but if you put the more compatible dll in your fsx folder it will at least be the one that is used and thus avoiding the use of the incompatible system version, which is what you want to set up. however if you do have a faulty setup that somehow misuses this dll then it might not matter what one is used - in which case you have to look at some other reason for the problem. at least you know then that it's not the incompatibility issue if you put the older dll in the fsx folder..

download the old version and copy/paste into your fsx folder so you get:

D:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\uiautomationcore.dll

right-click on it choose properties, details, it should show the file version in the details as 6.0.5840.16386. Leave that file in there since it saves fsx using the incompatible system version (never delete system files) and issues of possible CTDs when using the menus. If you continue to get crashes we have to look at other options, so more reports like you posted would be very helpful in that case.

So basically I get the old version of that uiautomationcore.dll which is 6.0.5840.16386

and I copy and paste it into the Microsoft Flight Simulator X folder

do you mean I put it into the folder that has addon scenery, simobjects, auto gen ...... the one that has all the folder in it?

Also where can I get the old version needed for FSX ( 6.0.5840.16386 )

Thanks

yes you seem to have grasped the plan - the DL link is in my post at #4 - save it on your desktop and copy/paste or drag'n'drop into

D:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\