Sign in to follow this  

FlyTampa's EHAM in 4K

Emilios has once again stepped up the bar ... amazing amount of detail and quality.

Cheers, Rob.

Great video Rob, thanks for sharing! But please don't take off from RWY 06, this is not a take-off runway, only for landing. :wink:

• Upvote 1

Henk de Vries

Hi Henk,

Winds were perfect for an 06 departure, as I understand it that's pretty rare for EHAM but it apparently does happen.  They do have SID 06 departures and I'm using the info from SimPlates ... there is a supplement of 06 departure but no warnings and the Aerodome Obstacle chart doesn't show anything unusual.  Why are you suggesting 06 can't be used for departure?

Cheers, Rob.

Theoretically, you can take off from RWY 06, it is never done and only on very special occasions/situations. The last take-off from RWY 06 I can remember was the VC-25 as Air Force One back in March 2014, due to all the security requirements & procedures.

EHAM has an immensely complex preferential runway system. Just because the procedures and documentation are available for a certain use-case, does not mean they are actually used. 

But you are right, there is nothing technically preventing a take-off from RWY 06.  :smile:

Henk de Vries

it is never done and only on very special occasions/situations

I was hoping you could tell me why it's rarely done?  Is it just a matter of congested airspace or just too difficult to manage?

Cheers, Rob.

Of course! People don't generally like it when I ramble on about preferential runway systems, but here goes:

- Southwesterly wind is the predominant wind direction at EHAM (due to the sea climate), which means most of the time take-offs are from RWY24 and landings on RWY18R. When winds are northeast, 18R (or 09 with very strong winds) is by far the preferred take-off runway (plus 18C in double & take-off peak hours).

- Runway capacity takes a huge hit when aircraft have to backtrack to reach the start of RWY06 for take-off.

- Noise: a take-off from RWY06 takes you directly over the city of Amsterdam and there are extremely strict noise pollution regulations in place for EHAM (Have a look at the special RNAV night arrival transitions for 06 & 18R with continuous descent approaches at idle thrust)

- Airspace complications: a take-off from RWY06 means crossing paths with other (arrival) traffic, which would be wildly inefficient.

-----

There are 2 runways which can physically not handle either take-offs or landings:

- 18R cannot be used for take-off

- 36L cannot be used for landing

&

- 18L cannot be used for landing

- 36R cannot be used for take-off

:smile:

• Upvote 2

Henk de Vries

This is the beauty of flight simulation.You can do anything you want :wink:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Hi Rob,

thanks again for sharing this vid :) Did you use UT2 or MT6 for AI? I dumbed MT6 lately and rolled back to UT2 and was amazed by the little performance loss.

As you mentioned FT EHAM is great work. It feels like the real airport.

Of course! People don't generally like it when I ramble on about preferential runway systems, but here goes:

- Southwesterly wind is the predominant wind direction at EHAM (due to the sea climate), which means most of the time take-offs are from RWY24 and landings on RWY18R....

Looks like someone knows EHAM ;) 

IMHO EHAM -like every other mega hub- is a pain in the real world to fly in, especially when i have to land on RWY 18R. It is a looong way to the B-Pier :P. But it is also to mention that the dutch ATCO´s are very well organized in the air as well as on the ground :) EHAM=Great ATC

• Upvote 1

Greetz

MJ

My youtube blog________________________Prepar3D v2.5/v3

youtubefooter.jpg

Emilios has once again stepped up the bar ... amazing amount of detail and quality.

Rob, what zoom do you use?

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

My Zoom is 0.30 ... I don't use wideview.  I do however move my eyepoint back sometimes ... map eyepoint movement keys to one of my controllers.

Henk, thanks for info, was curious.

Cheers, Rob.

People don't generally like it when I ramble on about preferential runway systems, but here goes

Henk, awesome information!

I was just going to dig through the Web for something like this.

You have saved me a lot of time and effort.

Thank you very much, sir!

• Upvote 1

Did you use UT2 or MT6 for AI?

Using MT6b at 10% in this video ... with a full schedule loaded MT6b 15% = about 40-50% UT2 2013 schedule.  I haven't noticed any performance difference between the two once I offset traffic % accordingly.

I use FSCommander on a networked PC to monitor traffic, MT6a traffic shows origin and destination ... that information was NOT available when using UT2, not really sure why?

Cheers, Rob.

My Zoom is 0.30 ... I don't use wideview. I do however move my eyepoint back sometimes ... map eyepoint movement keys to one of my controllers.

Why don't people use wide view?  Just a preference thing?

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM