Sign in to follow this  
flybius

X-Plane 11 showing OpenGL 2.1 in macOS Sierra and 4.4 In Windows 10 Bootcamp

Out of curiosity, I Installed Bootcamp on my 2015 MacBook Pro 13" 2.9 Ghz (Intel Iris 6100 GPU). just to see if there would be any substantial differences between the X-Plane 11 beta installs. It turns out that there were some differences between the two Install log files (Windows appears to be better equipped, no surprise!)  but I was surprised to see that the OpenGL had such a variance in version. Is there any way to update OpenGL on the macOS side? I seem to recall reading that macOS Sierra supports at least OpenGL 4.1...

Thanks to all in advance!

No, Mac OS X is stuck with the version of OpenGL that Apple ships with it. It is often some way behind the latest versions and is one of the main reasons multiplatform OpenGL games have to use extensions and the like for various features.

So it looks like I am good to OpenGL 4.1.... Is it up to the developer to expand up to this version?  Maybe X-Plane 11 is still OpenGL 2.1 because of the beta status and will be running to OpenGL 4.1 at release?

It's up to the developer yes, but lots of the features as far as I know are using OpenGL extensions, so I don't think we are missing out on anything.

Interesting, There are X-Plane 11 features that are not available to me on the Mac side that are available on the Windows side... HDR being a big one.   I figured that since Austin developed X-Plane on a Mac that LR would have developed X-Plane beyond OpenGL 2.1 (I just checked my copy of X-Plane 10 on the Mac and it is showing 2.1 as well)

There must be more juice to this issue from a coding perspective... I sure must have an overly simplistic understanding of this :smile:  

Either way, I am loving X-Plane 11!

HDR being a big one.

Now that's really odd. I'm running Mac OS X Sierra on a Macbook Pro and I have all of the same features as the Windows version. I guess the limiting factor is the Mac drivers for the Iris card, I'm guessing they haven't been updated in sometime.

Are you running on an AMD MBP or nVidia?

Also, to clarify, If I run HDR with SSAA only I will have video... If I run HDR with FXAA anywhere in the AA then I have a black screen