Sign in to follow this  
jabloomf1230

FSUIPC 4.959 now has an AI Traffic Limiter somewhat like the Traffic Optimizer addon

Thanks Karan. Happy Christmas to you and yours. :smile:

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Well I installed this , this morning and giving the AI controller a try. A feature of the Air Traffic manager that I like is it gives you an actual count that you can set of AI aircraft, and as soon as you have more than that, it deletes the AI. With the FSUIPC system you have to guess at percentages and what number of AI will result from the percentages. I just  activated Plan G which has a moving map and shows all the AI, and the FSUIPC seems to be working correctly since all AI are located close to where my aircraft is located. Will have to play with the percentages and watch FPS I guess to see if it is better than what I was using. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

The first parameter is the maximum number of aircraft in the user's reality bubble. The other three control where aircraft are deleted spatially.

Sounds great. Always nice to recude the number og utilities needed to make the sim running.

I do hope though that LM make some major changes to their setup options, so one can do this from within P3D.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

The first parameter is the maximum number of aircraft in the user's reality bubble. The other three control where aircraft are deleted spatially.

Thanks, seems to be working very well.  

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Interesting....I currently use the AI Traffic Optimzer program so I may have to try this!  Would be nice to eliminate another program that needs to be started up.  I assume this is "set it and forget It"?

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

Interesting....I currently use the AI Traffic Optimzer program so I may have to try this!  Would be nice to eliminate another program that needs to be started up.  I assume this is "set it and forget It"?

Yes, once you have the settings you like, it starts up with the sim. 

Yes, that's the point. The Traffic Optimizer was a "life saver" when first introduced as it really does add a feature that is sadly missing from FSX and P3d. But I'd rather rely on a veteran developer like Pete Dowson (who has an outstanding track record) to handle new features like precision AI optimization. And keep in mind that this is first attempt at such optimization by FSUIPC. It's likely to get a lot better as users interact with the developer. But not just yet. He's on holiday until after the new year.

Also, one can be pretty confident that FSUIPC is headed towards P3d 64 bit, if it isn't already being tested.

Also, one can be pretty confident that FSUIPC is headed towards P3d 64 bit, if it isn't already being tested.

Lets hope so. Pete is still an FSX user... 

Even better, Lockheed Martin hired Pete and integrated all the FSUIPC features into Prepar3D. It's kind of silly that we still need all of these utilities to make the sim run as it should. 

• Upvote 2

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Do you set the traffic sliders in p3d like always or does this change things? Are you able to increase say airliners little more than in the past?

Kevin Humphryes

Pete tested it with MT6 and UT2 as he likes lots of Ai so the answer to your question is yes.

Doesn't UTII already have these controls?

Dunno, don't have it.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I could use that.

From AS LEMG to FT EHAM in the PMDG 737, with 32bit clouds still,

and got one FSUIPC beep:

14775312 Monitor IPC:024C (S32) = 878864
14785328 Monitor IPC:024C (S32) = 980088
14795359 Monitor IPC:024C (S32) = 1016668
14805391 Monitor IPC:024C (S32) = 1017724
14825453 Monitor IPC:024C (S32) = 1007100
14831625 Sim stopped: average frame rate for last 14703 secs = 40.5 fps
14831625              Max AI traffic was 235 aircraft
14849984 === Calling SimConnect_Close ...
14850187 === SimConnect_Close done!
14851187 System time = 21/12/2016 18:08:12, Simulator time = 18:02:07 (17:02Z)
14851187 *** FSUIPC log file being closed
Minimum frame rate was 9.3 fps, Maximum was 151.5 fps
Minimum available memory recorded was 767Mb
Average frame rate for running time of 14703 secs = 40.5 fps
Maximum AI traffic for session was 235 aircraft
Memory managed: 7953 Allocs, 7953 Freed
********* FSUIPC Log file closed ***********

The sim's traffic sliders interact with the new FSUIPC settings. Every AI flight schedule has what's termed as an activity level, which ranges from 1 to 100%. Here's what a sample AI schedule looks like (courtesy of AI Flight Planner):

AC#7,CP5033, 15%, 24Hr, IFR
(1)	07:00, 07:43, 210, F,   405, KNTU
(2)	08:03, 09:29, 360, F,   405, KNIP
(3)	09:49, 10:49, 220, F,   405, KVPS
(4)	11:09, 12:34, 330, F,   405, KNKT

If the activity level of that schedule is either at or below the value of the slider, the schedule is used in the sim. The two sliders control IFR and VFR AI schedules independently.  The sim only directly manages AI aircraft in what's termed the user's reality bubble (URB), which is basically  a box around the user aircraft:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc526983.aspx#TheRealityBubble

The rest of the AI schedules are kept in a cache for future use. The sim still has to "worry" about the positioning of all active AI aircraft at any given time, but that's all it cares about outside the URB.

The trouble with this percent-based construct is the following. Let's say that a user has set both the AI sliders to 35% and is using My Traffic 6. Those settings will generate "real world" AI traffic according to the developer of MyT 6. When in flight around a large international airport, those levels will cause the sim to keep track of about 500 AI aircraft, both on the ground and in the air. Most of those AI aircraft are both unheard by (via ATC) and invisible to the user. But the sim heavily stresses the CPU by keeping track of all that information. So, it makes sense to also limit the number of AI aircraft in active management by the sim. Both the Traffic Optimizer and now FSUIPC allow such control. And both have options to allow some spatial differentiation of what's deleted within the user's reality bubble.

UT2 adjusts the number of AI aircraft based on a target frame rate. This is done by four slider settings within UT2. I can't add anything else here, because I uninstalled UT2.

I could use that.

From AS LEMG to FT EHAM in the PMDG 737, with 32bit clouds still,
and got one FSUIPC beep:

Keep in mind that  I believe that any addon that deletes an  AI aircraft from the URB will not recover all the VAS that was originally allocated to manage that schedule.  When the sim first loads a user situation, the AI traffic component is the last item to load, so it is fairly easy to see how much initial VAS usage is attributed to AI traffic (via logging VAS to the sim's title bar with FSUIPC). As time goes on and more active flights are managed, more VAS is allocated by the sim.

Pete would be a better person to address that issue, though.

• Upvote 1

Even better, Lockheed Martin hired Pete and integrated all the FSUIPC features into Prepar3D. It's kind of silly that we still need all of these utilities to make the sim run as it should.

Would this integration of all the FSUIPC features be for the 64 bit P3d?

I ask because, in P3d 3.4, I can not (yet) assign keys/joystick buttons to LUA scripts, which I understand is a specific feature of FSUIPC.

It would seem a logical integration into the future evolution of the simulation itself.

As for UT2, that is completely independent of the Traffic sliders in P3d, so it's good to know its been tested with UT2, which runs its own percentage traffic quotas.

Best regards

David.