Sign in to follow this  
Alpine Scenery

FSX Stuff

Anyone ever get addicted to buying this stuff, and then suddenly you add up your expenditures and realize you spent what a decent used car costs.

Stop me...

I may have posted this in the wrong topic section, not sure...

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

I never thought of it as being costly when I first started out but over the last few years, it has become just that. We all want it to be as realistic as possible so to make

it realistic you have to spend the money. It is fun watching it grow and every year there's something new that comes out that makes the experience that much better.

• Upvote 1

I don't know the exact amount that I have spent on this hobby, but hardware included, it is in excess of $ 2500 if I had to do a rough estimate. I have stopped buying any additional addons while I wait for more clarity on what the future holds for post 32bit development. I am very happy with my set up as it is, but I don't want to invest too much more in FSX as I am pretty sure I would do it all over again to take advantage of newer platforms in the future. $ 2500 on a computer based hobby may be a sizeable chunk of change that could have been 'better' invested elsewhere, but given the amount of satisfaction I get out of this hobby, for me, it was worth it.

I have probably become a more discerning simmer over the years, so in a pinch, if someone said to me I can only take three addons to 64bit heaven, it would be ASN (or AS2016 as it would be a new purchase), A2A Cessna 182, and the PMDG 737NGX. That would be my sim on a budget, but I would quietly complain that if that is all I can take to heaven, heaven is a bit lean.

Many users of FSX seem to think that the quality of their flying is proportional to $$$ spent. They assume that freeware is automatically inferior to payware, and in this they are mistaken. Over the years I have purchased UTX and GEX to enhance the scenery, and very little else. In addition,  I have installed hundreds of freeware scenery, plane, boat, and other files available on this website and others, and enjoy FSX to the fullest with no need whatosever to break the bank on purchases. I am all the more convinced of this when I read, in the forums, the complaints of people about payware they have invested in with disappointing results. For me, no thanks. I am a very happy freeware camper.

You and me, cobalt. You and me! A lot of freeware on my setup too.

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

They assume that freeware is automatically inferior to payware

Freeware is inferior to PMDG, A2A, Realair, HifiSim, ORBX ect. so say otherwise is crazy.

Freeware is inferior to PMDG, A2A, Realair, HifiSim, ORBX ect. so say otherwise is crazy.

Don't think of it as passing judgment on the technical merits and capabilities of freeware offerings vs. payware products, but look at it more from the perspective of an individual and that individual's preferences.

Let's take cars for example... that brand new (*INSERT LUXURY CAR OF YOUR CHOICE HERE) has features and functionality that blows away so many in field. If Cobalt is honest-to-goodness happy with the functional and efficient Hyundai he's driving, which one is really the superior choice for him?

Cobalt finds fulfillment and enjoyment in his flight simulation hobby using some select payware and other freeware options. I don't see his comments as a disparagement of payware in the slightest. Superiority and inferiority are not only defined by a product's spec sheets, but in the use and value it will bring to the end-user.

Personally, I think it's refreshing to see some folks enjoying themselves without having to feel that enjoyment must be found in "payware or nowhere". If only I could get on board with that mantra before the PMDG 747 releases... :)

• Upvote 1

There is no way I want to know what that number is..........I have high blood pressure and a heart condition........Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

On several occasions I have seen, in this forum and others, comparative reviews of freeware vs. payware planes, which show that in some cases payware products are superior to freeware, and in other cases not -- this is the basis of my earlier statement. As far as scenery is concerned, the free mesh for the entire world that was made available in the last year or so, is outstanding. If there are payware meshes that are technically superior, the difference is virtually undetectable without a microscope.

One other thing. This string was started by someone who admitted he was addicted to payware and had already spent more than the cost of a good used car! It sounded like a cry for help, which prompted my post.

• Upvote 1

Much freeware might be inferior but not quite all - Manfred Jahn's amazing C-47 V3 is one freeware product that comes to mind as clearly superior to any available payware C-47/DC-3.

Bill

Freeware will always be superior if there is no payware for the particular aircraft or area ;) . Actually, some freeware is truly horrendous, but you get the idea ;)

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)