Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

XP11 winds, aircraft and weathervaning ...

oops sorry these numbers are so confusing , i think i put a tail wind rather than x-wind lol

Tried again rwy 12 same area KHAF weather surface wind @224015kt , tail wheel locked much better take off in the G2 / G6.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

Murmur, could the weathervane be caused by fuselage drag? I remember that Laminar says that bodies on X-Plane will have lateral drag even if we set their drag coef to 0.0, this may be causing the issue as maybe the fuselage and all bodies are trying to align into the wind?

Yes, it's possible. But to ascertain the real sources of discrepacy in the flight model compared to the real one, an in depth analysis should be performed, and then compared to engineering predictions using the appropriate academic texts. That requires some time to do.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

What I feel is that XP's engine is quite strong but with some bugs and most of the developers don't know how to utilize it, but i could be wrong. It's good to see Austin posting those blogs because during the XP10 update cycle i don't think i ever saw him post. My thinking is the competition which he is seeing and getting down to some clean up of the engine which is very good. 

And i am in the future 2017 have a blast pilots.

• Upvote 1

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

Not sure if this is related, but seems like it.  I decided to fly some circuits in the C172 off the aircraft carrier.  After landing, I wanted to taxi around on the deck. No matter what I tried, I could not turn the aircraft around. As soon as I started moving I got weathervaned straight into the wind (the aircraft carrier is constantly moving giving an apparent wind on the deck).  I had the throttle firewalled, full rudder, and a little brake on the same side and I could only get the plane to veer slightly in one direction.

Something is definitely wrong in the model somewhere. Bug will be filed.

Certainly related.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

For what it's worth, I had the same problem this morning at KSEA. Then I noticed the windsock was standing straight out. I checked the weather and the winds were 29 knots. I hadn't set them there, and they were not real world, but there they were. Deleted those wind levels and everything worked find. From now on I'll check the custom weather settings on load just to make certain some gremlin isn't in the weather. Steering a 172 in 29 knots is darn near impossible ...

• Upvote 1

BasementFlyGuy

GA home cockpit running X-Plane 11 (and sometimes P3D)

Blog: www.ontheglideslope.net

YouTube: OnTheGlideslope Channel

Facebook: On The Glideslope