Sign in to follow this  
Ron Attwood

FSX R.I.P.

I've had P3D for quite a while now and it has never grabbed me. I had FSX DX10 running beautifully and whenever I had another go at P3D it just caused a 'meh'. :nea:

About 3 weeks ago I made another attempt, pushed some buttons, slid some sliders and ticked & unticked some boxes. Suddenly I stopped 'mehing'! Now I'm not saying I was OMGing or AWESOMEing all over the place but P3D had become FSX DX10 plus a few bits.

Since then poor old faithful FSX has been like a worn out horse left alone in a field. It seemed like a kindness to put it out of it's misery.

BANG! Uninstalled. :sad:

Prepar3D's training is coming along nicely.

If this has been a bit too anthropomorphic for you, my apologies. :P 

• Upvote 2

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Ron,

had the same story here....I have never been too much in love with P3D, but then very recently a combination of good settings, hardware change and just a copule of right tweaks have made the miracle...I am totally captured now by P3D ....my last 30 flights have been on P3D and when yesterday I ran again FSX-SE I was shocked by the difference......

This is good......very good step forward ...and I cannot really understand all the people complaining about P3D...

All the best..! 

AMD Ryzen 7800x3d, Asus ROG Strix RTX4090, Asus x670e-e, G-Skill F5-6000J3038F16GX2-TZ5NR

Similar story here - but I went from a tricked-out FS9 setup to P3D.  Skipped FSX completely!  Time marches on...

Ron

That is great to hear. Welcome to the dark side! :hi:

Naw, that's XP11 :)  The water is fine over here too!   :smile:

• Upvote 3

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

So an old dog can learn new tricks after all... :) 

Just wait until you discover PTA and the scenery in P3D suddenly looks like the real world... 

Blue skies Ron, and have a nice holiday! 

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

I've had P3D for quite a while now and it has never grabbed me. I had FSX DX10 running beautifully and whenever I had another go at P3D it just caused a 'meh'. :nea:

About 3 weeks ago I made another attempt, pushed some buttons, slid some sliders and ticked & unticked some boxes. Suddenly I stopped 'mehing'! Now I'm not saying I was OMGing or AWESOMEing all over the place but P3D had become FSX DX10 plus a few bits.

Since then poor old faithful FSX has been like a worn out horse left alone in a field. It seemed like a kindness to put it out of it's misery.

BANG! Uninstalled. :sad:

Prepar3D's training is coming along nicely.

If this has been a bit too anthropomorphic for you, my apologies. :P

Steady on there Ron! Had me reaching for a hankie by the end.   :blush:

• Upvote 2

Naw, that's XP11 :) The water is fine over here too!

Yeah while you abandoned ship on FSX, you are jumping aboard a ship that people are slowing jumping off the other side for XP11.  

The funny thing is when P3D goes 64 bit I have a feeling people will be jumping back aboard P3D.  lol.

I still don't think 64bit will be the holy land for flight sim.  CPU/GPU and other factors will still push/pull the FPS etc.

• Upvote 2

Jason Weaver - WestWind Airlines; FlyUK Airlines; VirtualUnited.org

5.jpg

Banner_MJC12.png

About 3 weeks ago I made another attempt, pushed some buttons, slid some sliders and ticked & unticked some boxes.

How come you didn't do the button, slider and ticking stuff earlier?

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS

Wait until 3rd party devs start actually making products specifically for P3D first and then retro fit to FSX ... rather than the other way around.

Lots of features in P3D that are mostly being ignored by many (not all) 3rd party devs ... SpeedTrees, Scaleform, Avatar mode, Volumetric lights, Dynamic Reflections, etc. 

Cheers, Rob.

IBTL.

Yep, my FSX and FSX SE are gone for P3D.

spacer.png

Wait until 3rd party devs start actually making products specifically for P3D first and then retro fit to FSX ... rather than the other way around.

Lots of features in P3D that are mostly being ignored by many (not all) 3rd party devs ... SpeedTrees, Scaleform, Avatar mode, Volumetric lights, Dynamic Reflections, etc. 

Cheers, Rob.

I sure hope that time comes soon. Some times it just seems that while the rest of the computing world is moving along at the speed of light, we in the flight sim world are locked into the speed of a slow sick turtle. No need to throw rocks as I am aware that I am an old impatient man!! It would be nice to see just one time....New release for Prepar3d only and will be ported to FSX when we get tired of fishing and bowling. :vava:

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

Yeah while you abandoned ship on FSX, you are jumping aboard a ship that people are slowing jumping off the other side for XP11.  

The funny thing is when P3D goes 64 bit I have a feeling people will be jumping back aboard P3D.  lol.

I still don't think 64bit will be the holy land for flight sim.  CPU/GPU and other factors will still push/pull the FPS etc.

I know it's not a "popular" opinion to have right now on AVSIM, but I tried the XP11 demo and came away with wonder from the UI (loved it), only to be disappointed again in the rest of it... Sure it looks pretty at dusk, night and dawn, and the curved runways are fantastic to navigate (especially in a heavy), but everything it still lacks that has been mainstay in FS/ESP for multiple versions still keeps me away.

• Upvote 2

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

I know it's not a "popular" opinion to have right now on AVSIM, but I tried the XP11 demo and came away with wonder from the UI (loved it), only to be disappointed again in the rest of it... Sure it looks pretty at dusk, night and dawn, and the curved runways are fantastic to navigate (especially in a heavy), but everything it still lacks that has been mainstay in FS/ESP for multiple versions still keeps me away.

Concur.  "Popular" is relative BTW.  Many non XP fliers here.

• Upvote 1

spacer.png

Naw, that's XP11 :)  The water is fine over here too!   :smile:

Naw (naw version two)!

P3D vs 3.xx is the dark side.

XPlane is the darker side.

The other new sims are the darkest side! 

Merry Christmas Ryan! :hi:

• Upvote 1