Sign in to follow this  
Ron Attwood

FSX R.I.P.

New release for Prepar3d only and will be ported to FSX

I'd love to see that day ... maybe 2017 will make it more attractive ... but I was also hoping (especially now that P3D since V2 is 3 years old) that more 3rd party would use the new features of P3D to help lure users away from FSX and into a future with ongoing development ... but I haven't seen many airports and/or objects implementing DR support, saw a few SpeedTrees from FlyTampa but otherwise I'm not seeing much ... I guess revenue numbers are so tight that 3rd party can't afford to give up FSX customers and invest too much time in P3D only variants ... which is sorta a Catch-22.

I can't comment on P3D's 64bit future, but lets suppose 64bit did happen, would 64bit P3D really make any difference to customer base shifting? ... so much of a difference that 3rd party could justify just a P3D 64bit product and drop FSX support?  My guess is NO, as a decade worth of FSX add-ons just makes it that much more difficult for FSX user to let go ... and with 3rd party still feeding the FSX wagon, that's only making their problem more entrenched and restricted.  That's the Catch-22.

Cheers, Rob.

I did the Steve's fixer thing for FSX a couple months back and was really impressed once I got it setup correctly.

But, I also had P3Dv3 and hadn't yet set it up.  So I moved into an aggressive P3Dv3 mode, installing all my Orbx stuff, planes and other compatible addons.

I also downloaded and actually read the AVSIM P3D guide and managed a few settings.

Like I have been saying to others, I haven't started up FSX in over a month and half. I have all the reflections, and lighting producing some amazing flying scenarios.

I'm moving all the way to P3D as I keep adding stuff.....just added my FS Dreamteam Hawaiian airports packages the other day....its a beautiful thing; FSX is parked in the hanger at this time, doubt it will come out ever again.

Bryan

• Upvote 1

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

I myself cant see P3D going 64 bit, the benefits are marginal unless all developers recode to support it.

spacer.png

I'd love to see that day ... maybe 2017 will make it more attractive ... but I was also hoping (especially now that P3D since V2 is 3 years old) that more 3rd party would use the new features of P3D to help lure users away from FSX and into a future with ongoing development ... but I haven't seen many airports and/or objects implementing DR support, saw a few SpeedTrees from FlyTampa but otherwise I'm not seeing much ... I guess revenue numbers are so tight that 3rd party can't afford to give up FSX customers and invest too much time in P3D only variants ... which is sorta a Catch-22.

I can't comment on P3D's 64bit future, but lets suppose 64bit did happen, would 64bit P3D really make any difference to customer base shifting? ... so much of a difference that 3rd party could justify just a P3D 64bit product and drop FSX support?  My guess is NO, as a decade worth of FSX add-ons just makes it that much more difficult for FSX user to let go ... and with 3rd party still feeding the FSX wagon, that's only making their problem more entrenched and restricted.  That's the Catch-22.

Cheers, Rob.

The real trouble in my opinion are all the simmers who refuse to make the move and support a platform that is in active development. I know some have good reasons, but it hurts the P3D development team as much as the third party developers - a double catch 22 of sorts. It will be really interesting to see how DTG can navigate these waters.... 

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

I'm moving all the way to P3D as I keep adding stuff.....just added my FS Dreamteam Hawaiian airports packages the other day....its a beautiful thing; FSX is parked in the hanger at this time, doubt it will come out ever again.

Welcome Bryan!! Perhalps it would be a good time for folks to start using small banners or use wording in thier signatures to support Prepar3D. There may be more of us than we realize.

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

I came back to the P3D fold about six weeks ago, after about 18 months of FSX:SE with the DX:10 fixer.  FSX is now gone from my system.  Moving to a 4k monitor helped - my P3D is no longer bogged down in SGSS, it just flies, in a couple of senses of the word.  Glad to be here, not missing FSX at all, and not tempted by X-Plane (my X-Plane flirtations never work out, and my airplanes don't live there).  Glad to be on the LM side of the fence.

• Upvote 1

I think like a year ago Aerosoft did a poll of what sim version people use most.  It was interesting to see the dynamic shift to P3D but it still wasn't enough to sway their development.   It would be really interesting to see that same poll done now.   I think they noticed the shift hence why they are one of the few to offer the P3D version of their addons for free to entice customers.  Other developers saw it as an extra burden and made it an upgrade or new purchase. 

Jason Weaver - WestWind Airlines; FlyUK Airlines; VirtualUnited.org

5.jpg

Banner_MJC12.png

It has always been a mystery to me why DTG got involved. Some times I think they are providing cover for x-plane or something like that. It is a bit like me throwing millions of dollars to develope a small box that we can carry around and talk to one another. Didn't someone already do that?? We all seem to say there is no money in making add ons and yet here is another company who is years behind in a weak market. Some where, somebody is lying to us. Man I sure can't figure it out. Oh well, back to work on my new product...it's a round tube with batteries inside and a light on one end for use in the dark. I have ask my tech guys to invent the battery and "man we R gona bee $$$ rich"

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

...The water is fine over here too! :smile:

Actually, that's my only (small-ish) beef. FSX water with it's lovely whitecaps... :wub:

Still, a small price to pay.

How come you didn't do the button, slider and ticking stuff earlier?

I did, several times, but I didn't/couldn't get what I wanted. If I had done I would have swapped earlier, no?

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

What's interesting is the different reporting by different developers.  About a year ago ORBX was talking about a heavy swing from FSX to P3D.  Aerosoft's polling showed it somewhere in the middle.  A2A insisted that the majority of their customers were still using FSX - which makes it notable that their new Constellation will be published in a P3D edition as well as an FSX version.  Maybe these are signs of a slow shift toward P3D - or maybe they just reflect that different customer bases go different ways.  None of them is publishing sales figures, so apart from polls (which aren't all that reliable), I guess we have to take them at their word.

Actually, that's my only (small-ish) beef. FSX water with it's lovely whitecaps... :wub:

Still, a small price to pay.

When I went from P3D 2.5 to FSX:SE, I missed the P3D lighting.  Now I've got it back... but yes, the FSX whitecaps are gone.

There's always going to be something left behind...

I did, several times, but I didn't/couldn't get what I wanted. If I had done I would have swapped earlier, no?

That's what I figured, just wondering why you succeeded this time. Good for you that you found the sweet spot. Prepar3D is by far the better sim :smile:

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS

Can't imagine what it would be like going back to FSX, like re-marrying an ex wife I guess. 

• Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I've had P3D for quite a while now and it has never grabbed me. I had FSX DX10 running beautifully and whenever I had another go at P3D it just caused a 'meh'. :nea:

About 3 weeks ago I made another attempt, pushed some buttons, slid some sliders and ticked & unticked some boxes. Suddenly I stopped 'mehing'! Now I'm not saying I was OMGing or AWESOMEing all over the place but P3D had become FSX DX10 plus a few bits.

Since then poor old faithful FSX has been like a worn out horse left alone in a field. It seemed like a kindness to put it out of it's misery.

BANG! Uninstalled. :sad:

Prepar3D's training is coming along nicely.

If this has been a bit too anthropomorphic for you, my apologies. :P

Wow!, you kept using FSX for too long!. Welcome to P3D. I did that 2 years ago and never remember my FSX.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

I can't comment on P3D's 64bit future, but lets suppose 64bit did happen, would 64bit P3D really make any difference to customer base shifting? ... so much of a difference that 3rd party could justify just a P3D 64bit product and drop FSX support? My guess is NO, as a decade worth of FSX add-ons just makes it that much more difficult for FSX user to let go ... and with 3rd party still feeding the FSX wagon, that's only making their problem more entrenched and restricted. That's the Catch-22.

Cheers, Rob.

+ 0

Rob Ainscough

32.jpg

- "The universe seems neither benign nor hostile, merely indifferent" - Carl Sagan.

Sele

No doubt most simmers want 64 bits.  P3D is a very good effort at a world class sim. Any one who want to be serious with respect to sim software AND hardware has to be ready to shell out some serious $$$. And that is OK. Perhaps You  and I can afford to do whatever we need to do to make it work in the best possible manner for ourselves, no argument there. However, another angle that should be considered is, Will a corporations profit motive and excellent software( At a high price) pull or turn away most folks who would like to get  into the game?  I'm not against a business making a profit, Just paid $1,400.00 for a new Samsung stove  Over $900.00 for a dishwasher. Another $600.25 for the Oculus Rift, $200.00 for the controllers and another $85.00 for another sensor. A few bucks for Fly inside and I am about to order the Leap Motion controllers. We are lucky to be able to afford to do what we want, err...more or less! All I am saying is that if you shrink the user base it may work against the FS community. The community needs an entry level FS that s beyond a toy. FSX does that, I hope someone, be it Steam or PMDG, or another talented person or group comes up with a viable 64-bit solution. One that's affordable, that will let a young kid get into the game.

I have to go, my Ford F-150 Lariat  is all warmed up.

Have a great Xmas

BaldyB

Happy 2017 LM, hopefully with a 64 bit version. Hopefully some devs are already recompiling addons for it in a non disclosure agreement. No more savings regarding VAS and the world... as real as it gets. FSX is a monumental reference. A program with more than 10 years old with the same basic structure since at least FSX III. The conceptor of that architecture should have a statue.