Sign in to follow this  
Ron Attwood

FSX R.I.P.

Happy 2016 LM, hopefully with a 64 bit version. Hopefully some devs are already recompiling addons for it in a non disclosure agreement. No more savings regarding VAS and the world... as real as it gets. FSX is a monumental reference. A program with more than 10 years old with the same basic structure since at least FSX III. The conceptor of that architecture should have a statue.

And Bill Gates is his name! He was the mastermind behind it, and not far behind the scenes either, although others took his lead,

Thank you William. :hi: Flight Simulation may not be the biggest thing you did, but many here would agree it was one of the greatest!

Your legacy continues to grow from what you planted into new generations.

Merry Christmas to you and yours.

I am still with FSX for the simple reason that any move to P3D will be very expensive. As well as a P3D licence I would at a minimum need to also purchase AS2016 the NGX and the T7. I estimate that I would be out of pocket over 500 AUD. But what is really holding me back is the real prospect of having to spend this plus a lot more on a 64 bit P3D in the not too distant future.

Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

I appreciate progress is progress and things move on, but I confess to having the feeling that I have now reached the point where my P3D 32bit installation is just where I want it to be. Never mind 64bit, it's looking far more likely that I will be persuaded to stay put rather then face the hassle and expense of starting out all over again. Now, if we could just get this SLI nonsense sorted out....

Yes, Bill Gates deserves a large slice of the kudos, but what about Bruce Artwick? Without Bruce's vision back in the late 70's, when he founded subLOGIC, there might never have been a Microsoft Flight Simulator and all that has transpired since. in my book he is/was the true father of our undying passion to reach for those simulated skies. Microsoft purchased the rights in 1981.

Mike

I've had P3D for quite a while now and it has never grabbed me. I had FSX DX10 running beautifully and whenever I had another go at P3D it just caused a 'meh'. :nea:

About 3 weeks ago I made another attempt, pushed some buttons, slid some sliders and ticked & unticked some boxes. Suddenly I stopped 'mehing'! Now I'm not saying I was OMGing or AWESOMEing all over the place but P3D had become FSX DX10 plus a few bits.

Since then poor old faithful FSX has been like a worn out horse left alone in a field. It seemed like a kindness to put it out of it's misery.

BANG! Uninstalled. :sad:

Prepar3D's training is coming along nicely.

If this has been a bit too anthropomorphic for you, my apologies. :P

Beautifully put

• Upvote 1