Sign in to follow this  
Tummilp

Do the ATC tell you to sink at TOD?

Hello,

i'm in the P2A-Trial and made flight from EGLL to EDDM. Till the aproach everythink was fine and i was so busy with finding my English sentences (i'm a German guy). Then i saw that i forgott to descent at the TOD. The ATC told me fare to late that i have to descent and that i am cleard fpr aproach ILS...

Is this a bug? Do i have to make a report that i have reached my TOD? What is the Syntax for this Report?

best regards

Did you set your planned ground speed an descent rate in the P2A user interface? That's what P2A uses to determine your TOD. I use PFPX to generate my flight plan. I'll look to see what PFPX gives for a TOD and then try to match it using my descent rate. I fly airliners most of the time so I use a planned ground speed of 400 and adjust the descent rate to get the TOD where I want it.

NAX669.png

Also, if you are flying a STAR and the STAR begins before or shortly after the TOD, then you may be given an instruction to "Descend via the xxxx Arrival".  That is your permission to begin the descent and you must determine, based on the published procedure, what altitude to descend to and when to start the descent.

If you don't have a STAR in the flight plan and ATC does not assign one, then you should expect to get a step Descent starting at the TOD.

Dave

Okay i understand, and is it planed that the ATC will recognize when i'm unable to descent early enough for the approach and give me a Holding for example? Or can i request a Holding?

So as I am no pilot, this is one of the topics I have the most difficulty with I think.  Where does one find the published altitudes and descent rates for a given approach?  I utilize PFPX, EFASS, & EFB and can't seem to find where this might be.  I usually guesstimate and request lower flight levels as I go but based upon this post it doesn't seem necessary as long as your flying along the approach properly.  Not to hijack this thread but, can someone point me in the right direction?  Thanks!

Chris DeGroat  

XP11 | MSFS

i9 12900k | 32GB DDR5 RAM | 2TB Samsung EVO SSD (1TB x 2 in RAID 0) | MSI RTX 3090 | Reverb G2 | RealSimGear TBM900 Panel with Yoko+ TQ6+ & TM TPR Pedals

Hi Chris,

I believe they were talking about Arrival Procedures (STAR) - which come before the Approach Procedure  - they usually have altitudes published on them...

Example for LaGuardia:

http://155.178.201.160/d-tpp/1701/00289HAARP.PDF

Regards,

Scott

Ahhh, that actually makes so much sense now.  I guess tonight will have to be the first time I actually try to fly the STAR properly then!

Chris DeGroat  

XP11 | MSFS

i9 12900k | 32GB DDR5 RAM | 2TB Samsung EVO SSD (1TB x 2 in RAID 0) | MSI RTX 3090 | Reverb G2 | RealSimGear TBM900 Panel with Yoko+ TQ6+ & TM TPR Pedals